CrazyBoards.org

What can I use?

I am having terrible anxiety now... I am taking Ativan .05 mg at bedtime as needed for nightime anxiety, which is great cause it knocks me out.. but I need something during the day that wont put me to sleep..

I would ove some feedback

if it is long term anxiety, that is happening everyday, i would suggest an SSRI like paxil or some other AD. those help a lot with the frequent anxiety parts. however, for me, SSRIs did diddly shit for my anxiety. i didnt find relief until i took 1mg of klonopin 3 times a day. and yeah, benzos can have a sedating affect at first, but that wears down after a little while.

how long have ou been on ativan? maybe it hasnt been enough time for the sedating effect rolls over. then you can take it throughout the day. just a thought.

I have been on the Ativan for about a year now. I used to take it everynight with 10 mg of Ambien because of terrible insomnia, but weaned my way off to just a PRN basis. I had a panic attack with no meds when I was in another city, and the ER doc gave me 5 mg of Valium that really didnt seem to do a lot of good. A couple of years ago I took .25 mg of xanax, and that seemed to help a lot...

Remeron was really great for my daytime anxiety while I was on it.

You could also try a longer-acting benzo like Klonopin.

The sad thing is, most anxiolytics will make you sleepy, at least at first., except possibly the SSRIs, so if the daytime sleepiness is a real dealbreaker for you, you might want to consider switching or increasing your SSRI. Then again, for a lot of people (like me) the sleepiness wears off eventually.

SSRIs have never done anything for my anxiety except make it worse, but they work for lots of people.

You can use a bit of patience in getting insurance, a bit more for procuring an appointment with a Pdoc and keeping it, a vigorous application of determination to finding a Tdoc, and devotion to group therapy.

I appreciate the expertise offered by the members of this forum and the willingness to suggest that is demonstrated every day. You know have those suggestions, the next step is to get insurance. I know, I know, they are fumbling idiots who drag their feet...however, being proactive is the name of the game.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived