CrazyBoards.org

Thinking about Switching from Respridone to Abilify

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

currently i am on 3mg Respridone and thinking about switching to Abilify, does anyone have a similar experince in making the switch?

Why do you want to switch? What does your pdoc think? I had no problem switching between those two, however I don't usually get alot of withdrawal symptoms when going off a med.

Whenever I try to get off of Risperdal I go through terrible withdrawal, really bad bouts of mania and just complete craziness. When I make the switch to Abilify I plan on cutting back slowly on Risperdal, hopefully that will stop the withdrawal problem.

Why do you want to make the switch? Is it to do with weight gain? Abilify has a better weight gain profile than risperdal, but risperdal is a more effective medication for most people. There is risk with the change that you wont feel better. Abilify is a great med and it certainly has its place, especially with negative symtpoms of sz. It can cause agitation in some people, and it is probably the weakest anti-psychotic.

Why do you want to make the switch? Is it to do with weight gain? Abilify has a better weight gain profile than risperdal, but risperdal is a more effective medication for most people. There is risk with the change that you wont feel better. Abilify is a great med and it certainly has its place, especially with negative symtpoms of sz. It can cause agitation in some people, and it is probably the

weakest anti-psychotic.

I agree with it possibly being the weakest AAP. I don't know why I'm on it because I always have to be on two AAP's because ability isn't strong enough for me.

Not saying it isn't a wonder drug for others of course.

• 1 month later...

In the wintertime I made the switch from Risperdal to Abilify and it was the best move any of my pdocs have ever made (and I've had 5 different pdocs...). I'm more stable, happier, and a lot of the hormonal BS I was dealing with due to the Risperidone has eased up/vanished completely. I didn't find the switch too difficult either. YMMV of course, but I'm definitely one of this switch's success stories. :)

Abilify is one of those "love it or hate it" drugs. some folks do great, others, not so much. I had a hellish experience with abilify, and I tend towards mania.

If you do decide to trial it, make sure you have a backup rescue plan if it doesn't go well with your pdoc, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad idea to switch.

There are also newer options than abilify out there, my primary drug of choice being saphris. I made the switch from seroquel and am very happy with the results. It has a better metabolic and weight gain profile, though, as always, ymmv.

Anna

I made this exact change last year. My doc told me abilify is a weaker medication than respridone. Man reason I had to switch was a hormonal growth in my left breast. I was on it for about 4-5 months before relapsing again so I had to switch to Zyprexa. From what I understand its either "pretty good or pretty bad".

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on risperidal and I love it. It's the best AAP I've been on. it does cause me hormonal problems, though. I don't want to be on for long because I'm concerned about osteoporosis. Abilify was the wrost. I couldn't stop moving and I wanted to chop my head off with a chain saw. Whatever Abilify doesn't block is what drives me crazy in the first place.

<br />What has been your experience Aeroguy? Did you make the switch?

yes i made the switch, i started with 2mg, didn't feel anything, then went up to 5mg, felt a slight headache the first day, but things cleared up, but when i switched to 10mg i got insomnia even though taking pills in the morning...could only sleep 2hrs...decided to go back down to 5mg untill i see Pdoc...does the insomnia wear off?

Guest Vapourware

Abilify can be activating in some people, and sometimes the activation wears off, while other times it remains. It's hard to say; unfortunately it really depends on the person. Personally I found Abilify sedating, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on the third day of Abilify 15mg and have a lot of anxiety and troublesome thoughts. Do you think this will pass?

Probably. It's normal. There is a difference between activation and Akathisia however, the latter tends to stick around but can be taken care of with Cogentin. Ultimately, it depends on how much it helps you when dealing with the second.

Of course if the troublesome thoughts are depressed/suicidal/self-injury, that's a different matter and should be reported to your pdoc immediately.

I am on the third day of Abilify 15mg and have a lot of anxiety and troublesome thoughts. Do you think this will pass?

Probably. It's normal. There is a difference between activation and Akathisia however, the latter tends to stick around but can be taken care of with Cogentin. Ultimately, it depends on how much it helps you when dealing with the second.

Of course if the troublesome thoughts are depressed/suicidal/self-injury, that's a different matter and should be reported to your pdoc immediately.

The thoughts are more based around paranoia and are mostly obsessive repetitive idiotic and perverted things that I hate thinking about.

I don't really want to add anymore meds but I hope this passes, it's driving me nuts and scaring me. I had some of the same stuff when I was on Risperdal but it wasn't nearly as bad, but I hate Risperdal and really want to make this switch effectively.

Archived