CrazyBoards.org

Omg I knew it!!!!!! So this med is worthless for people with BP or BP SZA? Basically?

It's probrably that there has been no research yet. Or at least none that has been published. Read into it what you will.

Omg I knew it!!!!!! So this med is worthless for people with BP or BP SZA? Basically?

No. It only means that nobody has determined that it is or is not useful for bipolar mania. As you correctly noted above, the manufacturer is currently running Phase III trials for bipolar depression.

Well I'd like to know how long it's going to fucking take to work. If it's going to work at all. And when they plan on releasing such info about if it works for mania.

What really pisses me off is that they seem to be duping pdocs. Like, "Hey look it's a new shiny AAP!" "Give it to BP patients, SZA BP patients, SZ patients, depressed patients, anxious patients, ADHD, autistic patients, heck give it to people who just can't sleep at night because it MAY cause sedation!" Or maybe it's the pdocs who are acting stupid. They have only approved it for SZ and have said nothing of BP mania on their website. I don't know. But whatever it is I'm fucking sick as all hell of it. I mean, they are handing out AAP's like candy these days. It's OVERKILL! Everything is used sooooooooooooo off label nowadays. That's why I'm on this damn latuda when I need more of an anti-manic right now. I mean I am having some paranoia and it has helped with that but my biggest problem is the mania right now. I wouldn't have even gotten paranoid if the mania hadn't gotten this bad. YOU KNOW?!

My pdoc is very much on the cautious side and likes to take people off meds at will as often as possible no matter what the cost. I don't understand some people's pdocs that give them whatever they ask for and hand out things off label like candy! I think I'm jealous!

Llama, I really think you're overreacting here. You've tried several AAP's before. If there were one to which your pdoc thought you'd get a better response, presumably he'd have gone with it. If I'm remembering rightly, your previous results from AAP's haven't been that great, so I'm not surprised he'd have wanted to try something new and different with you.

You don't know the whole story SS. And you've certainly never worked with my pdoc. If you'd had then you would understand a little better. He has never tried seroquel or zyprexa or risperdal or clozapine or any of those like that on me. Only in the state hospital did I try a few of them. But when I get out of the hospital and see my pdoc it's always like HELLO something new came out that we must try! Because my sx aren't 100% controlled. I am not sure if they will ever be 100% controlled!!!! As soon as saphris came out I was on that. Same with fanapt. Same now with Latuda. I do think it is good to try new things but I feel like I constantly pay the price. I don't know.

I know the primary of this thread is on Latuda, but I wan to give you a history of the meds I was on in the past and present in terms of AAPs. I wasn't achieving success with symptom control without side effects with Zyprexa or Risperdal, Seroquel, Invega, Abilify, or Geodon. Most of them gave me either stiff muscles or akathisia, nether side effect of which Cogentin helped me with. So I at one point had to try some of the APs when in the hospital.

I was tried on Navane (akathisia), Thorazine (allergy), and then the decision was made to try Zyprexa again. I did and it made me restless at 5mg per day. (even with 2mg Cogentin BID). So the psychiatrist told me for me and mom to decide on a med for me to take and he would be content with working me on a steady dose. I chose to give Clozaril (Clozapine) a shot.

I'm very glad I did. Even though in the beginning I was only worked up to 100mg in the hospital and it wasn't a sufficient dose to keep me out of the hospital, my current pdoc did work with my dose (now I'm on 300mg HS), to help me stay out of the hospital and improve my symptoms and mood state.

Even though your doctor may be wanting you to try the latest meds, just because they are new, newer isn't always better. I notice that you are in the hospital a lot and that your meds are switched constantly.

I'm not a doc so I can't make conclusions, but did you ever try Clozaril (clozapine)? Did you doc ever figure it a possible idea if the other meds don't work for you?

At the appropriate dose for me, not only does Clozaril (clozapine) help the schizo side of the SZA but it also helps the manic side of the BP of the SZA too.

I hope this helps and I wish you luck in your treatment decisions,

Andy.

Thanks for the helpful post Andy. I really appreciate it. Clozaril was brougt up a few times but I have never been on it. You're right. Maybe that's the next stop. I hate going to the hospital and trying so many meds all the time! I get so frustrated! I'll have to see what my pdoc wants to do on mon.

I just started on Latuda myself. It has calmed my mania... sort of. But I am so tired all of the time and wondering if I can take it at bedtime... Also have noted a few panic attacks, but not severe like the mania I just went thru which was the worst episode I have ever had. Good luck. Would love to know how you are doing on it!

My pdoc started me on Latuda today. Is anyone else here on it? I hope it helps me sleep. You have to take it with food he said. I hope it curbs the mania. He started me on the lowest dose of 40mg. It's supposedly weight neutral. But I'll believe that when I see it. I hope it is. Saphris sure wasn't for me anyways. He took me off the saphris.

It's a once a day pill that has to be taken with at least 350 calories of food. I don't know if you'd be able to take it at bedtime (since you need to take it with some food) but you might be able to take it in the evening. (talk to your doc about that).

Doesn't make me tired at all so I am now taking it with dinner. I've been on it for weeks now. Not sleeping well. Still pretty manic but not as bad just as of today. So maybe I'm starting to come down. Not sure.

Anyways i hope it works well for you.

I knew after day 2 this was not for me. I got so manic I wanted to hump anyone. Not a good idea.

I knew after day 2 this was not for me. I got so manic I wanted to hump anyone. Not a good idea.

I feel ya. Ugh. Unfortunately no one is listening to me re: my pdoc. I said didn't think it was working and he of course disagreed.

I don't think Latuda is for me. The hard part is getting my pdoc to believe that...he must think I'm the biggest whiner, because I suffer from substantial side effects from most drugs...but I really do! First, Latuda made manic. Now, a week later, I'm so depressed that I can't do anything but sleep. I feel like I've had my personality surgically removed. My answer to every question for the last three days has been, "I don't know" or "I don't care." Any tips on getting your pdoc to believe that you're not just, well, crazy and you're really not reacting well to something?

I feel ya. Ugh. Unfortunately no one is listening to me re: my pdoc. I said didn't think it was working and he of course disagreed.

I'm trying to listen, but weren't you on an antipsychotic that was working better than the Latuda? (I may be mistaken). If so, why did you go off it?

I remember a time when I was on Zyprexa and the only side effect I had with it was weight gain and my mom told me not to worry about it because when I went back to school (college), I'd be more active and I'd start to lose the weight. (and the Zyprexa was working well at the time). But I complained to the psychiatrist I had at the time the whole summer that I was gaining weight and I didn't like that. Then when I went back to college and I was starting to lose some of the weight they were trying to make me feel good, but I wasn't having any of it and I wanted off the Zyprexa. The psychiatrist complied with my wishes, but ever since going off the Zyprexa (when it was working), I never had the same reaction when trailing it in the future.

I think that's why my doctors and my mom tell me that once you get on a regimen that works, you stick with it and don't change it. And there is some science behind that if you go off a medication, it may not work the same the 2nd or 3rd time you take it, so if it works the first time and you get a side effect, unless it is completely bothersome, see if you can live with it.

For me, I have 3 side effects from the Clozaril, 1 being treated by a counteracting med, and 2 that I choose to live with:

1. constipation - treated by colace

2. hypersalivation / drooling - live with

3. anorgasmia - live with

I don't know if this post helps but I wanted to get it out there.

I remember changing meds constantly and unless necessary it's not a good idea.

I don't know if this is true or not, but my mom (who I know is not a doctor), but she says that the meds that we take even though it's for the brain, it still travels through the heart and changing meds around all the time she says could put un-do stress on the heart because it has to pump all the medications that are in your system. (now I know she's not a doctor, but that's what she says and when I ask her about it, she tell me it's common since "on a roll").

I don't know if this post was helpful or not, but I felt the need to get it out of my system.

yeah lots of things have worked better than latuda. I don't want to get into it right now but there are many reasons why (and I've stated them before). My pdoc is an ass. He changes things at whim. Listens to me when he shouldn't and doesn't listen to me when he should. It's not fun. You can't even imagine the hell I go through with him.

I'm really starting to wonder if this stuff is poison or not. Haven't felt "right" in the head since I began it. My heart feels like it's beating weird at times. I don't feel like I have hardly a shred of sanity left. But the med seems to be working according to my pdoc and case manager. WTF? I'm wondering if there is a phone number I can call to report to this company about their poison. Like I bet they don't know it causes insomnia, irregular heart beat, and doesn't helpm with mania. I bet they don't know that and if they do then they are hiding it for profit. It's so new that no one know any of this stuff. It's my job to inform people.

One thing I do know is, if you don't want to deal with your pdoc, can you try getting the medications from your gdoc: explaining the situation to him/her and see if he/she could monitor your meds until you find another pdoc?

Other than Zyprexa, this is the only AAP helping me with my Bipolar II and Depression. On Zyprexa I gained 35 lbs. in 3 months so I had to stop it. I've only been on Latuda for about 5 days.. hopefully the weight will magically disappear.