CrazyBoards.org

Please do not forget to take it with food or it will not work. I was told I need to have at least 350 calories. The explanation is in the presence of food the medication absorption is increased something like two to three times. I guess this means more medication in your blood stream. Without food you will have to low a dose for it to work. How are you doing?

Good Luck

Ok so I am out of the crisis bed center and stiiiiiiill manic! You guys are right though. It has to work for mania too. Right? The hot new thing is just for bp depression. That is where the money must be. So many things are approved for bp mania and sz. Not much at all is approved for bp depression. So that has got to be it. I just need to give it more time.

Good luck everyone else on it!!! Who knows?! Maybe we all just need a dose increase. Lol you never know!

There have been studies up to 160mg and the results were very promising. I also know someone who is working with a doctor who is conducting the bipolar trials and he is very optimistic. I know one of the challenges is if you have been on some of the stronger meds such as zyprexa. There is know way Latuda 40 will work for you. You will need to be on 80mg after a few days but quite possible higher. You could experience more side effects on Latuda at higher doses but they still wont compare to side effects on Zyprexa or Clozaril.

how are things

Ok so I am out of the crisis bed center and stiiiiiiill manic! You guys are right though. It has to work for mania too. Right? The hot new thing is just for bp depression. That is where the money must be. So many things are approved for bp mania and sz. Not much at all is approved for bp depression. So that has got to be it. I just need to give it more time.

Good luck everyone else on it!!! Who knows?! Maybe we all just need a dose increase. Lol you never know!

There have been studies up to 160mg and the results were very promising. I also know someone who is working with a doctor who is conducting the bipolar trials and he is very optimistic. I know one of the challenges is if you have been on some of the stronger meds such as zyprexa. There is know way Latuda 40 will work for you. You will need to be on 80mg after a few days but quite possible higher. You could experience more side effects on Latuda at higher doses but they still wont compare to side effects on Zyprexa or Clozaril.

how are things

What are you basing your assessments of med strength on exactly? Or the idea that having taken zyprexa in the past somehow necessitates higher dosages of latuda? Is there research backing any of this up?

Thanks for the link Andy! I will check out their website! I didn't even think to do that lol.

In my experience Latuda may be a good choice. It should work better than saphris and there should not be much of an issue with weight gain. The reason for this is in the receptor binding profile. Medications that block histamine receptors tend to cause more weight gain and Latuda has no affinity for this receptor. Now I am not saying it wont happen but there is less of a chance than any other med out there.

As to why would a doctor try a new med instead of a tried and true there really arent any tried and true. In this class of medication it is a lot of trial and error and there is the constant balancing of efficacy and safety. From what I have read may be Latuda will give a better balance between the two. It should be efficacious since it has a high D2 affinity. Let me know how you are doing.

Good Luckrolleyes.gif

Trial and error has a lot to do with prescribing, but some of these meds have been on the market for some time. Off hand, I want to say Risperdal has been out there for close to 20 years, Seroquel around 15, and Zyprexa around 10. Ten years might not be a long time, but is it more than one.

Why would a person try a new med? The best reason I can think is that the others didn't work, or based on the experience of some others, it looks more promising than the alternatives.

Also to my knowledge, the real balance is not between efficacy and safety, but efficacy and side effects, most of which do not pose significant/safety health problems.

as far as safety being similar for all the meds that is just not true. with meds like zyprexa your risk of weight gain and diabetes is much higher. its nice to have a history with the medications but the history is they really dont work that well plus some compromise your long term health.

In my experience Latuda may be a good choice. It should work better than saphris and there should not be much of an issue with weight gain. The reason for this is in the receptor binding profile. Medications that block histamine receptors tend to cause more weight gain and Latuda has no affinity for this receptor. Now I am not saying it wont happen but there is less of a chance than any other med out there.

As to why would a doctor try a new med instead of a tried and true there really arent any tried and true. In this class of medication it is a lot of trial and error and there is the constant balancing of efficacy and safety. From what I have read may be Latuda will give a better balance between the two. It should be efficacious since it has a high D2 affinity. Let me know how you are doing.

Good Luckrolleyes.gif

just started 4 days ago. was taken off thorazine and put on 40mg latuda and 10mg haldol along with 900mg of lithium i already was on. my diagnosis is bipolar I but i have delusions and hear things. so far ive noticed its sedating for me. i eat it with 3 yogurts at bedtime. ill keep everyone up to date on how it works for me. the pdoc said it takes 7 days to notice a difference.

I have 2 questions about latuda. How much blurred vision does it cause compared to the other drugs in the market and if the approved doses are 40 and 80 mg and someone is having bad dry mouth and blurry vision do you break it in half to 20? or you have to use a different drug

Latuda has only been on the market since 2/2011. It has not been released in any other country. They have done 4 six week trials on it with less than 1,000 total participants. The criteria was that you had to have Scitsofrenia. They have NO idea what the long term effects are, since no one on earth has been on it longer than 8 months or so. Sunovian (makers of Latuda) are just now doing studies, off label, on bipolar patients.

Hope this helps anyone???

Edited by Resigned

Hey! I'm on Viibryd (semi-new to the market) and Latuda.

I've been on Latuda for a couple of weeks, now.

My diagnosis isnt set, yet, but we're looking at ultra rapid-cycling, for me.

Latuda doesnt seem to do much for me, yet.

BUT, I am super super itchy all over since I started taking it.

I was on Viibryd and Seroquel before switching to Latuda.

Viibryd seems to help with my depression a bit.

Sigh.

New meds!

I'm not a fan of having to take 350 calories with this, but that's alright.

I try to take it at dinner because it doesnt make me drowsy.

But when I take it at bedtime with my Trazadone, it really helps my Trazadone work for me, strangely.

Before, I was hit or miss on if Trazadone was gonna help me get to sleep quick.

And now it works every time.

So that's cool!

Um.

What else.

I dunno.

Ask and I'll give you any info I can!

Also, I'm new here. So. Hello, I'm Steph.

I started latuda only four days ago. ive tried just about every other med out there and the only one that truly worked was seroquel, which was in my opinion, the perfect BP med, except for that one side effect that caused me to go from 125 lbs to 193 lbs in no time flat.

So ive been off of seroquel and on to tegretol for about 6 months with no weight loss, or very minimal. now im on Latuda. First couple days drowsy and able to sleep well. last two nights very little sleep, hypo mania and my legs will NOT stop moving. From the shaking of the knee while sitting, to resltless leg syndrome, while lying in bed. it doesnt seem to be working for me.

has anyone been on it for a longer duration and knows if these things may change or dissipate over time? im SOOO sick of changing meds. its expensive and its driving me crazy. more than the BP!

I started latuda only four days ago. ive tried just about every other med out there and the only one that truly worked was seroquel, which was in my opinion, the perfect BP med, except for that one side effect that caused me to go from 125 lbs to 193 lbs in no time flat.

So ive been off of seroquel and on to tegretol for about 6 months with no weight loss, or very minimal. now im on Latuda. First couple days drowsy and able to sleep well. last two nights very little sleep, hypo mania and my legs will NOT stop moving. From the shaking of the knee while sitting, to resltless leg syndrome, while lying in bed. it doesnt seem to be working for me.

has anyone been on it for a longer duration and knows if these things may change or dissipate over time? im SOOO sick of changing meds. its expensive and its driving me crazy. more than the BP!

I was on latuda for atleast 6 months and the restless legs did go away but I was taking cogentin with it to combat it. I did sort of have mania from it so thats something you need to watch out for with it. Talk to your doc about the restless legs and potential onset of mania.

Thanks for the info/advice! :) I will be talking to doc tomorrow and will ask about cogentin. Ive never taken that? does it also help with sleep? did you say it took 6 months to stop resltess legs while taking cogentin? thats a long time. but im sort of impatient! was hoping latuda would help w/sleep also but so far no dice. i MUST sleep or I will get super manic.

Thanks for the info/advice! :) I will be talking to doc tomorrow and will ask about cogentin. Ive never taken that? does it also help with sleep? did you say it took 6 months to stop resltess legs while taking cogentin? thats a long time. but im sort of impatient! was hoping latuda would help w/sleep also but so far no dice. i MUST sleep or I will get super manic.

Cogentin can cause dry mouth so make sure to drink some water at the first sign of dryness. I wouldn't say cogentin is sedating but if the only thing stopping you from sleeping is your restless legs then it would help you sleep for sure. no the cogentin should work for restlessness right away. Latuda is sedating the first couple of days then the sedating effects wear off. Good luck.

well now its been a few more days on latuda and this is how its going so far. legs still in perpetual motion but thats not all bad. i think its helping me to lose weight!! wierd but true! also something pretty remarkable that happened is that within a couple of days my negative obsessive thinking stopped cold. this has been one of the worst symptoms of BP for me. it has basically stopped happening. i have tried to think the way i was before and its wierd, its like it hits a wall and just doesnt happen. strange, huh? not sleeping so well buts its early yet. my doc is going to put me on a sleep aid -non addictive- to see if that helps but i havent had much luck with those in the past. we will see!

I am on Cogentin to lower the number of side-effects I get from Abilify. The Abilify was giving me severe spasms in my legs arms neck and facial muscles. But now I am taking 1 Cogentin at night and 1/2 in the morning. I can't take the morning Cogentin until I get to work because it makes it difficult for me to stay in my lane.

Thomas

Thomas

thanks for your post! does the cogentin make you sleepy well at night? im seeing doc mid january so im going to see about it. i have to be careful w/meds and driving too b/c i drive one hour to work at 5am!

I was on Latuda for about six weeks then had to go off when I ran out of samples and was too psychotic to get to my psych MD for more. I have to say it did me a world of good. I am back on it recently and have some insomnia issues. Wasn't till I read this thread that I realized that a)it should be taken with food and b)after some initial drowsiness it can in fact cause insomnia. Not sure if my MD mentioned this as I have been pretty sick the last few months and have a way of hiding it well until I say something truly out there. Being able to hide your symptoms as well as I do can be a hindrance to recovery sometimes.

So I'm back on it. Not wanting to rely on samples though my Psyche MD has no problem giving them to me. Just thought I would share that I called my insurance and can have MD call for a clinical override. We'll see how that works.

I am on Lamictal, Ativan (3 x daily) and Ambien for sleep. I don't believe I've ever been manic but I do become irritable and deeply depressed. I also have psychotic symptoms on a fairly regular basis but it makes me secretive (paranoid) so I suffer with those much longer than I need to.

So glad to have found this community.

I'm not sure if it was already covered in this thread but what makes latuda a "novel" drug? What makes it different from others? I believe it is suppose to help cognitive function and not cause metabolic or weight gain issues. Anything else?

I am thinking of going on Latuda this summer (when I will be out of school and can deal with the side effects more easily.) I am on Risperdol and am pretty happy with it, but I don't feel like my cognitive functioning is as high as it could be and I would like to lose more weight (I gained about 50 pounds on Zyprexa.) I do not seem to have manic type symptoms. I think my diagnosis is schizoaffective depressive type so I wonder fi it might work better for me?