CrazyBoards.org

Guest Vapourware

R.D Laing was a psychiatrist who espoused the idea that schizophrenics chose to "go crazy".

Here's a summary of his beliefs: http://www.sonoma.edu/users/d/daniels/laingsummary.html

What do people think of his ideas? I'm intrigued by them although I disagree that psychosis should be treated without medication. I keep thinking back of my recent experiences and wondering if I had chosen the psychosis.

He held some sway in the 70's, probably moreso in the UK than elsewhere. The Politics of Experience was an interesting read. His poetry not so much. I found his writings more interesting than practical. I guess I became jaded pretty early in my career. I did rise up to his defense once, though. I was watching an interview with him on Patrick Winston's 'Biography' show on the original Arts channel (later to become A&E). I always loved Patrick's interviews, but he simply lambasted Laing in this one. One of the few times I've written a letter of complaint to a media host. Rather recently, his son wrote a very scathing bio. I've avoided it.

But as someone who really thought outside the box regarding Schizophrenia (I was also a big fan of Harry Stack Sullivan in my early years), he was definitely worth reading. We all need a conceptual Ctrl-Alt-Delete every once in awhile.

I don't think his 'choice' hypothesis is borne out by research or experience. Especially with the great progress being made in genetics. Three years ago Harvard researchers identified 3 genes associated with SZ and Bipolar. They were able to correctly identify patients with SZ/BD 80% of the time. I think SZ is probably one MI with the least personal control.

a.m.

Archived