CrazyBoards.org

Nuvigil Discontinued?!?!

Here's the deal

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/08/lundbeck-idUSLDE7170SR20110208

COPENHAGEN, Feb 8 (Reuters) - Danish drugmaker Lundbeck (LUN.CO) has signed a commercial rights deal with biotechnology firm Cephalon Inc (CEPH.O) in Canada and Latin America to reinforce its position in those markets.

Under the deal, Lundbeck will take over the registration and commercial rights to a number of Cephalon products such as Provigil and Nuvigil to improve wakefulness, and its pain product Fentora, Lundbeck said on Tuesday.

It's changed manufacturers so there are probably some kinks in the supply train right now.

See if you can take providual in the meantime. It's similar.

The 100 mg and 200 mg tabs have been discontinued. The other strengths (50, 150, and 250 mg) should still be available. There is currently no drug shortage or discontinuation notification on the FDA's website (which you can monitor here - although I'm not sure that a Nuvigil shortage would show up on that list...).

I would not expect the Lundbeck deal to impact supply very much. At any rate, Lundbeck also bought the rights to Provigil and a lot of other Calphalon products. I would expect any supply issues stemming from the deal to affect those products as well.

Here's the deal

http://www.reuters.c...E7170SR20110208

COPENHAGEN, Feb 8 (Reuters) - Danish drugmaker Lundbeck (LUN.CO) has signed a commercial rights deal with biotechnology firm Cephalon Inc (CEPH.O) in Canada and Latin America to reinforce its position in those markets.

Under the deal, Lundbeck will take over the registration and commercial rights to a number of Cephalon products such as Provigil and Nuvigil to improve wakefulness, and its pain product Fentora, Lundbeck said on Tuesday.

It's changed manufacturers so there are probably some kinks in the supply train right now.

See if you can take providual in the meantime. It's similar.

This article mentions nothing about a shortage or discontinuation due to the change.

Provigil is also a Cephalon product so if the problem were the switch, there would be no Provigil available either.

It was a guess, and the discontinuation of the 100 and 200 mg formulations is likely still a result of the change in ownership. I did a google news search on Nuvidgil and that's what came up. It seemed relevant.

I'm pretty sure Provigil (modafanil) is available as a generic so it wouldn't be effected.

Provigil is not available as a generic, and probably won't be for a couple more years.

The 100 mg and 200 mg Nuvigil tabs were discontinued as of October 2010, meaning their discontinuation probably had nothing at all to do with Lundbeck.

EDIT: This is not actually a change in ownership. Lundbeck merely bought the rights to market a number of Cephalon products in Canada and Latin America on behalf of Cephalon. In the US and Europe, Cephalon continues to produce and market all of its products, just as it always has. Nothing is changing, except that Cephalon drugs might find themselves in new markets.

Archived