CrazyBoards.org

Can you have more than one DSM at once?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could have more than one DSM at once. I didn't know for a long time what my current is. I just found out it is 296.24 Major Depressive Disorder, Single Episode Severe With Psychotic Features. I am going to be meeting with my clinician to discuss/update this. The thing is I have looked at the codes and I can fit under more than one.

Yes, you can have more than one diagnosis, but generally not in the same category at the same time, and some diagnoses rule out others.

For example, you can have MDD and GAD but not bipolar I and bipolar II, or bipolar and MDD. If that makes sense.

It looks like you have a laundry list of self diagnoses. You're better off working with a therapist and a psychiatrist to determine what diagnoses are appropriate and, even more, what treatments are going to be effective for you.

Thank you. Well, my greatest concern is I'm going to be applying for disability and I want everything to be right so I get approved. 296.24 is what they in their computer right now. I don't understand the "single episode".

Well, if it's your first time being MDD, with psychotic features, that might explain the single episode part.... if you have it, it goes away, then comes back, it would be reoccruent...

Anna

It is definitely recurrent. I've had MDD for a few years now. Seems like they never bothered to update my diagnosis which I'm not too happy about. :/

Seems like they never bothered to update my diagnosis which I'm not too happy about. :/

The doc or the disability people? If it's your doc you should get him/her to put it in your file and send it again. If it's disability, as long as they have the correct information, it shouldn't matter what code they're working under. Disability is a disability no matter what the reason.

Seems like they never bothered to update my diagnosis which I'm not too happy about. :/

The doc or the disability people? If it's your doc you should get him/her to put it in your file and send it again. If it's disability, as long as they have the correct information, it shouldn't matter what code they're working under. Disability is a disability no matter what the reason.

The doctor. I'm new to applying for disability, so I'm trying to get everything together. Never thought I'd be applying for disability at my age, but I have no choice. Hope its not forever.

The doctor. I'm new to applying for disability, so I'm trying to get everything together. Never thought I'd be applying for disability at my age, but I have no choice. Hope its not forever.

Well, I'm on disability and I'm only 26.. it sucks but it's nothing you should feel bad for. The way I see it is that you were putting money into disability insurance with every paycheck - cashing it in is nothing to be ashamed of. There is actually a 6 month work program built into the system. If you want to give working a shot you can. Then, after six months, you can either decide to go off the disability and continue working or if it's still too difficult, stay on disability. You do have options.

Well, I'm on disability and I'm only 26.. it sucks but it's nothing you should feel bad for. The way I see it is that you were putting money into disability insurance with every paycheck - cashing it in is nothing to be ashamed of. There is actually a 6 month work program built into the system. If you want to give working a shot you can. Then, after six months, you can either decide to go off the disability and continue working or if it's still too difficult, stay on disability. You do have options.

I'm 29. I feel like the past ten years of my life have been taken away from me. I haven't finished school and that was always important to me to get my degree. I had/have so many dreams. I would like to be on disability and be able to work part time. And hopefully transfer back to life working full time and going to school. :)

Archived