CrazyBoards.org

My sleep is effecting my moods a lot nowadays, because I'm not getting enough. I take Ambien Extended Release, 12.5 mg, the maximum dose. It's not working anymore. At most I get 5 hours of sleep a night. This makes me unstable and depressed the next day.

I've tried regular Ambien. It got me to sleep ok, but I couldn't stay asleep, hence the ER version. I've been prescribed Lunesta as well but there is no generic for it and I don't feel like shelling out $50+ for a lousy prescription, especially when I have so many other meds to pay for. I've tried Benadryl, Trazodone, and all kinds of OTC shit with few positive results.

I'm wondering what to try next. My biggest problem is waking up/maintenance of sleep. I've heard that Triazolam (Halcion) and midalzolam (Versed) are benzodiazepines that are good at initiating sleep, but not necessarily maintaining it. Has anyone here had experience with hypnotic benzodiazepines? Sometimes a benzo like Clonazepam will put me back to sleep when Ambien won't, which was why I was wondering about Halcion and Versed.

What options do I have left?

My doctor has me on 25mg of seroquel and 2 mgs ativan at bedtime. Pretty good but still the lag feeling in the am(but getting better). It's been a week. Good luck!

When you do you take your Geodon? I mean 240 mg is MORE than the max dose, and I can't imagine you'd take it in the morning unless it's activating for you. 40 mg would make me a zombie all day. I'd get a good night's sleep on 80 mg. I was hoping for your sake that 240 mg would knock you out for the night! It always gave me a great sleep, like the sleep of the dead. Looking at your meds I don't know what would be giving you insomnia. I use Vistaril 50 mg right now. I like it cause it's not addictive, it helps with nighttime anxiety, and helps me sleep through the night. How about that?

It is an antihistamine, but it is also used for anxiety. That was what they gave me in the hospital. They didn't even offer a benzo...probably because when I came in they knew I had addiction problems. So that's why it's safer...you don't get addicted and therefore won't get sick if you stop taking it. I don't know how effective it is as an antihistamine but it really mellows me out. And it definitely helps me sleep. I'm very grateful for it. Whenever I would be freaked out and have that tight chest feeling they'd give it to me and I'd be better. I haven't had a panic attack yet back home but if I do I'll take 25 mg just so I don't go to sleep.

My sleep is effecting my moods a lot nowadays, because I'm not getting enough. I take Ambien Extended Release, 12.5 mg, the maximum dose. It's not working anymore. At most I get 5 hours of sleep a night. This makes me unstable and depressed the next day.

I've tried regular Ambien. It got me to sleep ok, but I couldn't stay asleep, hence the ER version. I've been prescribed Lunesta as well but there is no generic for it and I don't feel like shelling out $50+ for a lousy prescription, especially when I have so many other meds to pay for. I've tried Benadryl, Trazodone, and all kinds of OTC shit with few positive results.

I'm wondering what to try next. My biggest problem is waking up/maintenance of sleep. I've heard that Triazolam (Halcion) and midalzolam (Versed) are benzodiazepines that are good at initiating sleep, but not necessarily maintaining it. Has anyone here had experience with hypnotic benzodiazepines? Sometimes a benzo like Clonazepam will put me back to sleep when Ambien won't, which was why I was wondering about Halcion and Versed.

What options do I have left?

Have you tried Sonata and Remeron? Sonata works for four hours, so you'd still wake up.. but taking a second one shouldn't be an issue - thou I think this may be expensive too. Remeron usually sedates people. It didn't do that for me, but it made my quality of sleep better. I felt quite a bit more rested the next day. I'm going to go back to that eventually. Ever been on Seroquel? It's more of a sedative the lower you go with the dose, so you could take a small amount and be knocked out pretty good without having to worry about an interaction with the Geodon.

The two benzos you mention sound like a great alternative, however you're right about them not lasting. Plus you run into the same problem of them wearing off. I'm waking up during the night myself, even with Trazodone and Amitriptyine. I could use my Xanax to go back to sleep, but if I did that I'd become dependent on that for sleep & it could make the Xanax less effective elsewhere.. so I don't use it. Not saying that you should do the same.. just commenting on how frustrating the situation can be. There's not a whole lot of answers outside of a sleep study.

Remeron, Amitriptyline, and I think something else mentioned are ADs and might not help you mood or sleep right now. Depending how you respond to ADs, they might be good options to try later.

If I was you, I'd shell out the bucks for Lunesta until your mood stabilized. The hypnotics like Ambien and Lunesta don't mess with your sleep architecture like benzos. They give you better sleep. Whatever helps end the episode sooner would be the answer for me. Either that or Seroquel.

Ongoing, I'd go with Seroquel. It's a better sleep than benzos. Just takes a little time for the morning sedation to wear off. A low dose shouldn't be a problem with another AAP. It's really only a sleeping pill (hits histimine mostly) at low doses. I did this for about four years before Seroquel pooped out on me.

I take Klonopin alternated with Ambrien CR so that the Ambien continues to work. If I take it three days in a row, I don't really sleep. The Klonopin has issues. You habituate and want more. Now, it doesn't put me to sleep. It just helps me not wake up so much. It's a groggy sleep, too. I don't feel as well rested. I have been thru most stuff for sleep, so I'm working with the little that is left. Anyway, I don't recommend benzos unless you've tried most else.

Archived