CrazyBoards.org

Dysphoric Mania/Hypomania or Mixed Episode

Hi guys.

I know what all the books say about dysphoric mania, that it is the nasty type of mania, with high anxiety, irritability, rage and all the crawling out of your skin feelings....But, a lot of that sounds like a mixed state to me. Am I right? If you add crying fits and a feeling of hopelessness, a bit of confusion and a sense of loss when it comes to space/time perceptio - Does THAT qualify is a mixed episode?????

What can you tell me from a patient's point of view????

I'm going through a lot these days and feel that my condition is changing in many ways and worsening.

thanks

I agree, it's much a case of how you describe how you feel.

No such thing as an ABSOLUTE mood which can be pigeon-holed, just degrees of mood with differing effects on your everyday life.

I don't think the classification of your mood and feelings is as important as the CHANGES and general PATTERNS.

This is all from somone who has wondered the same as you, and decided that the symptom is less the issue than the ability to deal with it.

If you have the support to deal with your moods/episodes, and feel you are getting somewhere, then that's fantastic. BUT IF YOU ARE STRUGGLING, then don't be afraid to tell your pdoc/tdoc/gdoc/anyone who'll listen that you are finding it hard going and maybe need to try something different. Far from releasing control, this will give you more. Forget the egos of the docs, the most important thing is you. Let us know how things go, whether you talk to the docs or not, cos so many of us here have been in a similar situation. AND none of us are perfect!

I'm going through a lot these days and feel that my condition is changing in many ways and worsening.

thanks

You should talk to your psychiatrist. You are not on many meds, and I read that you are titrating up on Lamictal

but you might need something in addition to that if you are having mixed states which are MISERY. Maybe an AAP.

Just be sure you let your doctor know exactly how miserable you are. :)

Ladybug is right, do talk to your doctor about this. and yes, they are essentially very similar states, to the point that trying to distinguish between them doesn't really get you all that far. worry about tx your symptoms...

Anna

Archived