CrazyBoards.org

SSRI's affect you? and bipolar

Ok. i know in general they don't really recommend SSRI's with Bipolar.

But we decided to give Prozac a try!

And its been rather up and down, been going from suicidal depressed for say 4-5 days, then euphoric for another 4-5 days. To the extent that the other senior who works internal medicine with me, came and asked me if i was ok. And that a week ago she thought i was getting sick. And now i am talking at an incredibly fast rate and a heel of a lot!! Been research to the gills! read some many articles, have discovered a great new topic for my MSC (Med) in oncology.

She said i should go see my doctor, and she came to me to bring it up ? eek! She also said that my boss can organize as much special sick leave as i want. She says she knows a am very integrant and the only reason they wanted to cut done on my work load a bit was they want me to be able to cope a tad better. Not at all that i wasn't competent, they wanted to make sure i was ok. And that we can see what else we can do. She thought i need to go see somebody that day.

Although i am not surprised. On tuesday morning i was up at 3 am and adamant that it was at lest 6 and that i must have missed my alarm. I check al the alarm clocks everywhere but i couldn't register? Till i walked out and it suddenly kicked in! so go another hour and a half before going to work all super hyped. Was running around at the speed of light, filling in everybody on my new ideas and my new research opportunities! The next night I never slept, i did go shopping at two, bought everybody easter eggs, hot cross buns .... then cleaned my car. and slashed my hand open a broken glass cause i was moving so fast.

So thursday i went to the pdoc, and i last my keys, and started to panic, so frantically, evening my boss was helping my tip out my bags, i was kinda freaked out!. Slight panic attack! So got to the pdoc. Beyond frazzled! And i wasn't just hyped/manic, i was depressed as well. He did talk to, about not listening to the depression side of things. I think i freaked him out a bit, i wont lie. I can trust him now though, which even though i go to a pdoc, i feel safer with him. So he asked me what i want to tell my pdoc i couldn't, I think i sound a tad suicidal? Considering i refuse to have any more contact with my family and will no longer be calling them for help, its unfair. i want them to have nothing to do with me anymore. All i do is cause stress and ruin every trip, then leave after three day cause i can't handle it. I just wish i was another person. May be just a stupid one! Somebody who doesn't over analyze every little thing that happen or doesn't happen. i can't do it anymore. I don't want to either. I just feel like they have just moved on without me, and they have become one big happy family of where i don't belong. I come home and just cause trauma. 2 Bipolar people in the house is to much

Well on the friday i crashed!!!! Big time. But a friend called me in a crisis (i wanted to die) and i only got home at 3 am! Got up early, then went to a braai and got 2 hours sleep that night! And then i started to crash..... big time...... My cousin is in hospital for depression so went to go see her. And i could feel it coming, like that dull headache that you know is about to implode! and yes minute by minute i crashed more and more by the time i got to monday i was rather suicidal depressed, i mean bad, i almost went to the pdoc again cause i was getting nervous!

Then yesterday, my mood went up!!!! AGAIN....... and still going!!!

Im seeing the tdoc tomorrow though.

But i am nervous

Neo - the other senior in my internal medical team, said that my boss has offered to grant me, to much sick leave as possible, all she has got to do is fill in some forms and motivate! Neo can go gave the impression that i should have a breather! bloody heal. You know what as much as i hate working with 14 hungry dietician , we are a family!

Feeling confused?

So would love a little advice, and how does SSRI's effect you????

All my love!

Ashdene

If you're intent on trying an AD, Effexor has been used on occasion. However you can go manic/hypo on that as well. I would seriously consider alternatives such as Abilify (helps depression) and/or Lithium (stabilizes your mood). Ask your pdoc and see what they think.

Yeah, I'm not even officially bipolar and SSRIs send me straight into hypomanic-land. I actually ended up quitting the second one I tried after just five days, it was that bad. Effexor doesn't seem to have that effect though... there are plenty of other ADs you can try.

`yesterday was bad, mood was just elevating! you now when being hypomanic can be kinda fun, manic to a ceRTAIN EXTEND CAN BE FUN AND MOTIVATing!!! But then you have this click where it is not fun but scary, when you loose you control, my hands are shaking, i feel like i am about to go into cardiac arrest cause my heart is pumping so fast!!!! I don't have enough to do with my hands, so i went out, but every inch of my body is on fire, the slightest look in the wrong direction, my anxiety goes through the rough....... It scares my self.

Trigger.gif Ok i know why i put that little face there! :) But i have never overdosed when i was depressed, but when i loose all irrational thought, impulse control goes, and its all about keeping on moving. I need to make it stop it stop! and if i don't stop. And when do you phone for help!!! I been moving From the car to the kitchen, to the bathroom, lounge, the car. tv, ect...... not lasting longer then 2 minutes each max!!! So i do what ever i can do what i can do to make it stop. And past attempts have not been that acceptable.

And then cause i am so high, i try to get out the house to see friends, and that itself results in drinking! Which makes it worse, and i get worse. They all don't know about my bipolar! though!!

I just need to make this stop!

You think it could be the prozac???????

Any help would be bloody helpful!!!!

Hey thanx for all the advice!

Sorry about my terrible writing and spelling, wasn't quite myself!!

I have sadly tried Welbrutin - made my angry and irritable, which is not great when you work in a hospital! I tried Effexor but it gave me horrendous nightmare and made me feel zonked all the time. I tried Abilify but that was in the early days and when i wasn't so compliant! Idiot of me, don't think he will put me back onto it. But ill try and ask again.

My Pdoc is a legend, since my terrible eating disorders in the past we trying to avoid to many weight gaining meds as possible! But we are rolling with the punchers at the moment!

thanx guys

xox

jebus Ash, that is AWFUL... and yes prozac made me batty like that too. DEFINITELY call the doc about getting off it. write me if you need to, you know how to find me! i'm so sorry it's been so horrible.

• 5 weeks later...

SSRI's don't make me nuts, but they only help for a little while, then do nothing. BTDT with many when my dx was still MDD, and it's always the same thing. But I know a lot of people experience what you do with SSRI's. My pdoc will not prescribe SSRI's for her bipolar patients. I have found that Lithium and Abilify have helped much more, and Wellbutrin helped too (though not as much as the Li and Abilify) to get me most of the way out of a horrible, multi-year depression.

I hope you get an appointment soon.

I've tried Effexor, Zoloft, and Wellbutrin and all three put me in a mixed state from hell. Even with lithium and depakote added to the mix. Bad juju for me. It was so bad all my doctors have written "allergic to SSRIs" in my charts so that nobody ever tries to give me one.

Prozac & Paxil made me hypomanic. With Prozac, I felt really good. So good that I thought I was cured and stopped cold turkey. Eep. With Paxil, I didn't stop, because after 6 weeks, my depression still hadn't lifted. Then, one day I woke up and felt good. Really good. So good I was bouncing off the walls, thoughts were racing in my head, I talked a mile a minute, was hypersexual, etc. My family said I was hyper and my mother-in-law said I couldn't sit still. I was taken off the SSRI's and put on Lamitcal. I'm still waiting for some relief...

Archived