CrazyBoards.org

My diagnoses are Bipolar II (almost never manic) and ADD. I am currently on Prozac, Tegretol, and Adderall. My meds have not changed recently. I am posting in the Psychoses forum because I have been having constant repetitive intrusive phrases, which might qualify as voices. I dunno if that is even the right label to put on them.

I did have intrusive thoughts to begin with for over a year. These were associated with high anxiety. For some reason (maybe because I am a huge animal lover?) the thoughts usually involved my dogs dying or other people's pets dying or being neglected or hit by cars. I would look out the window a hundred times a day and cry and shake constantly. I also began to be constantly overwhelmed by the whole world's problems - if I saw one homeless person I would spend all day obsessing over all the people in the world that may be cold or hungry, more tears and anxiety and shaking. This all faded over time and I have no idea why. My doctor had suggested that it may have been related to past trauma and tried anxiety meds, which did nothing.

I went a few months with nothing like this, then these constant intrusive 'phrases' began. It has been going on for about two months and growing worse. I hear the same couple phrases in my head almost constantly - 'I don't want to live anymore' 'I committed suicide' or even 'Nikki tried to kill herself today' (Nikki is my name). I am pretty sure it is my own voice, like an inner dialogue, except this is very repetitive and I cannot stop it. Unlike the intrusive thoughts, these phrases are not really related to anxiety. They cause depression,hopelessness, and a feeling of losing it. No meds or drugs have helped.

I have found a lot of info about intrusive thoughts but none about these phrases. What illness could this represent? Any info or experiences will be greatly appreciated.

just wanted to let you know i get the same sorta stuff. "i want to die" "kill yourself" etc. it feels like my voice, but it feels like something else instigated it. i don't know if that makes sense... i'm not suicidal when i get this either, but i'm definitely not 100%.

i'm BPI if that helps at all. talk to your pdoc about it. dunno what more to say, but i hope you feel better soon. :)

I get this when I am depressed. It's not the same for me as a hallucination, just the repetitive thought "kill yourself" over again. When the depression passes, so do the intrusive thoughts. I think you should tell your Pdoc and see what they say.

I've had compulsive thoughts about killing myself when I'm not suicidal or depressed.

None of us can dx you though - you need to talk to your pdoc about this. It might be time for a med change. Good luck!

Hi, I get the same kind of stuff as well. I understand what you're going through. It's very frustrating, especially when you want to know what part of you is saying these kinds of things. It's very complex, but it will pass in time. Although my dx is schizoaffective, I feel that there's some OCD involved in this as well. Can't really say how I know this, but it's just an idea.

I certainly understand how these voices/thoughts can lead to depression and hopelessness. I deal with this every day. There comes a point where you can rise above this, when self-esteem and emotional strength is stronger than these thoughts. When I work on my better qualities and do things that are good and healthy for me- exercise, creativity, being more social, I find that these voices/thoughts take a lower volume and effect. I hope this helps you.

Sometimes I get what feels like someone else's thoughts in my head. Sort of like the one about you having killed yourself. Often they are just odd and unrelated to anything I am doing as if they dropped out of nowhere into my head.

I get intrusive thoughts that are hard to control, at times. Like random music or thoughts about past experiences. After a lot of therapy my current opinion is that these thoughts serve a function. Theyre dissociative and trying to keep me from thinking or feeling something, which I assume is feeling helpless or in pain. Perhaps these thoughts are a sort of 'negative anticipation' of failure of some kind? Like, you assume the worst and dont feel as bad about failing since you have 'control' over failing since you expected it? Since I really dont have any experience with psychosis, if it is a hallucination and not just an intrusive thought, not sure if its similar to my experience at all.

Often my inserted thoughts tell me to hurt myself or kill myself. Years ago, I used to be depressed, but now I am not. I reckon for me the depression made it more difficult to know what was going on, because my thoughts and their thoughts would just get all mixed in together. Now, however, I know much better which thoughts are mine and which are theirs because the depressed mish-mash is no longer there.

But, as the others have already said, we can't diagnose you here. Definitely bring this up with your pdoc if this is a problem for you.

What you are describing sounds like intrusive thoughts. These are a common symptom of OCD, but can also occur in psychosis such as schizophrenia or even depression.

I personally get a lot of intrusive thoughts. I was originally diagnosed with OCD (Pure O type) and more recently with schizophrenia. Same symptoms, different label.

Dont worry too much about which dx fits your symptoms, it is more important to identify the symptoms themselves.

Your phrases do sound like a type of intrusive thought rather than a hallucination.

Id strongly recommend that you work through this with your dr. Prozac should help with these thoughts, but it may be useful to discuss an AAP like seroquel or abilify with your dr.

Therapy could also be very useful in your case - psychotherapy can help you to filter out the intrusive thoughts and make them less harmful to you.

Archived