CrazyBoards.org

For BPD, is it possible to begin experiencing a criteria you have not experienced before?

For example, a person has not really experienced the first criteria, frantic efforts to avoid real or perceived abandonment, but then they begin to beg and plead someone not to leave them after they've done something "bad."

I guess I could just say I'm the example, but I'm wondering if this is just a one off thing or if this is going to start happening all the time.

If I remember correctly, you're still fairly young. Your personality is still forming. Sometimes new things crop up. BPD is hard to diagnose in the younger folk in a lot of ways.

This could be specific to the situation, or it could be a new symptom. Like Sasha said, there's no predicting it.

My best advice is to try to avoid doing that, and focus on using your skills.

It happened to me too. When I was first Dxd with BPD I didn't meet the "frantic efforts..." criteria but just now, three years later, I have that symptom and less of the others I had originally. So yeah, I think the manifestation can change over time.

Yes I am pretty young, haven't had the diagnosis too long, a little over a year.

I was just wondering if this was a BPD symptom, one of the criteria deciding to come out, or if it was just me acting in a certain situation.

Thanks everyone :)

For BPD, is it possible to begin experiencing a criteria you have not experienced before?

For example, a person has not really experienced the first criteria, frantic efforts to avoid real or perceived abandonment, but then they begin to beg and plead someone not to leave them after they've done something "bad."

I guess I could just say I'm the example, but I'm wondering if this is just a one off thing or if this is going to start happening all the time.

I agree with Rowan on this one ..up until I was in my late 20s I think really I had some pretty obvious BPD traits ..however over the years I morphed into an entirely different kind of crazy ..the symptoms changed I grew and changed ..and as I matured physically my crazy matured and changed ...this is kind of hard to explain but I am sure it relates to what you are asking ..some phases in life can mimic mental illness ..I was very jealous and freaked out at the idea of anyone leaving me ...I would do frantic shit to get attention....for me this was just a phase of another issue ...and I am sure could be related to the fact my brain was not working in a straight line ...however it was not who I was ..I did pass through this and was able to bond with a wonderful man ..raise kids and loose a child with out the feelings of panic at the thought of anyone leaving me ..or any SI ..but other things developed that became more of a concrete mature diagnosis ..I think when folks are very young they can have various symptoms of many dx's .. but you kind of grow into your diagnosis as well true mature adulthood and it can change ...no they were not Dxing BPD in kids when I grew up ..if they were they obviously missed all the clues with me or I would have been labeled for sure ...

now I am not saying that if we have an illness everyone can grow out of it ..not true!!! but I do believe that skills you learn to cope with something like BP can be so valuable for all folks with all kinds of crazy ...

I am not cured of anything ..but I am not BPD my diagnosis is entirely different ..

I hope this is not confusing but this is what really bothers me about mental illness and our methods of dx and tx ...patients demand a dx and you can label anyone ..and doctors get paid for Dx's so really multiples work in their favor $$ wise

I think the best patients and the best doctors look at the symptoms ..put the pieces together ...give treatment for the person based on what works ..then after they find the correct combo and the patient matures into a semi adult you can really find out then what the actual diagnosis is ...

rule out anything that can kill you ..then work on the symptoms that bring you baseline and wait and see ...constantly assess and treat accordingly

I find the most successful folks take each thing as it comes work it out and move on ...some of what you actually go through maybe an organic illness showing itself differently when you are young

I am not BPD but there was a point I surely was diagnosable in my youth ..now my crazy is different

I hope this makes sense I am so tired today and know what I want to say but can not seem to make it come out right

do not think because you are freaking out now it is going to be a pattern ..talk to your therapist get help with the symptom and use the techniques you learn to help avoid the pain of this kind of frantic behavior ..that is the best thing rather than worry about another layer to your diagnosis

Sometimes with any MI, new things show up in weird and wonderful ways wacko.gif

Sometimes with BPD, a specific relationship or person can bring out certain symptoms more. I know that's happened for me.

Thank you both, will discuss this with my therapist, I am seeing her very soon. It just caught me off guard as I've never close to panic over possible abandonment and it scared me so much, made me wonder if this is what's going to happen from now on.

I'm going to assume now it's this particular situation, get some kind of skills to deal with it, and then hope it doesn't happen again. I probably scared the guy, too.

well, since you are dealing with an entirely new relationship and situation, it may be the first time this symptom was 'brought out" in you so to speak.

I think discussing it with tdoc and how to avoid it in the future is a great idea.

Anna

• 2 months later...

A few of my BPD symptoms (I have all 9) didn't crop up until the past few years (I'm 25) but I know that all the others have been there for as long as I can remember. The newest ones all developed post-PTSD and the ones that were already there got much worse.

Archived