CrazyBoards.org

How much of your symptoms are blamed on your schizo<x>?

Guest Vapourware

As the topic goes, how much of your symptoms are blamed on your schizo<x>?

For my pdoc, it's everything. Everything is seen in the prism of schizoaffective, which bothers me because I don't relate to all the symptoms of schizoaffective. Especially the negative symptoms. I read about them and it just doesn't resonate with my experience. I just don't get the lack of motivation that seems to colour other people's experiences. Like my tdoc noted at our last session, schizoaffective is something that I can put on a shelf when treated with medicaton, although I might get the occasional breakthrough symptom. When those breakthrough symptoms are dealt with then I can carry on as though nothing happened.

I do like my pdoc, in the sense that he's been good with my meds and is prompt in answering queries, but I wonder if I need someone with a wider perspective. Or if his view is just typical of pdocs and I just have to live with it.

My pdoc has said on several occasions "this is part of your illness". I have a lot of negative symptoms that I'm having trouble with and she says they are just part of the schizoaffective. My positive symptoms are decently well controlled with meds but not so much the negatives. I'd assume it's pretty common for pdocs to put things on a diagnosis, but I'm sure it varies on a case by case basis.

I have that lack of motivation you mentioned, but my pdoc just encourages me to get out more and push through it. He's never suggested it is a symptom. He mostly does medication management, though, and since they seem to be working he just writes my script.

Your therapist sounds good - and I like what s/he said. That you can put your diagnosis on a shelf after you medicate it. I love that.

If your psychiatrist does a GOOD, really good job with your meds than that is all I would expect. I mean, how much time do you actually spend with him?

I think, in general,managing your meds is what you go to a pdoc for. If he's doing a good job with that, then I'm not sure what you think would be gained by seeing someone with a wider perspective.

Archived