CrazyBoards.org

I got PTSD from a mental hospital

I went to the childrens ward of a mental hospital (for asperger's) and now I'm terrified of "fighting voices" when people raise their voices and use a certain tone, it scares the he'll out of me. I'm scared of people movin chairs because they might throw them. I get this blank look in my eyes, almost like I'm unconscious with my eyes open, but I'm thinking freely, not about what happened (arguments usually) but other things and I use this small, mousy voice that's almost a baby voice but not quite. Almost a whisper but it's too high to be a whisper. Does this happen to anyone else?

I was hospitalized for two years as a small child due to abuse that lead to PTSD. angry people scare the crap outta me since Ive become so sensitized to things that surrounded my abuse. slamming things around like cookware and doors. angry faces, body language and raised voices. I totally understand.

Being in a hospital along with all sorts of strange people I didnt understand really drove home this idea that I was broken and defective somehow. Basically I got a second dose of PTSD from the hospital itself. Its taken me a lot of therapy to survive it all.h

the re-experiencing and the blank stare is textbook PTSD. If you can remember things about the experience, maybe EMDR would be helpful.

• 2 months later...

hellokittykd, you can have a acute stress disorder that mimics PTSD but only lasts for a month or so. A therapist can help you with the diagnosis. Definitely, it sounds like the experience really overwhelmed and stressed you. I can imagine that with Asperger's, it was that much harder.

Going in-patient did retraumatize me. The constant, abrupt noise completely overwhelmed and frightened me and I was on constant high alert. I agree that it can be like another dose of it. If the staff are near-abusive in their treatment, as mine were, that can make it that much worse. Like creepy, I came out of it needing a lot of therapy just to recover from the experience. I even had to go back inpatient a month later, this time to a different hospital, where it was quieter and the staff were very kind and helpful. But I will never forget that experience in that hellhole, the total retraumatization.

I was hospitalized for two years as a small child due to abuse that lead to PTSD. angry people scare the crap outta me since Ive become so sensitized to things that surrounded my abuse. slamming things around like cookware and doors. angry faces, body language and raised voices. I totally understand.

Being in a hospital along with all sorts of strange people I didnt understand really drove home this idea that I was broken and defective somehow. Basically I got a second dose of PTSD from the hospital itself. Its taken me a lot of therapy to survive it all.h

the re-experiencing and the blank stare is textbook PTSD. If you can remember things about the experience, maybe EMDR would be helpful.

Archived