CrazyBoards.org

With the exception of my family, I am afraid of most people I'm not very close or related to. Even some of my fMily makes me nervous sometimes. I just feel like they're lookin at me and when they talk to each other I have to reassure myself they're not talking about me. Does anyone else get this way?

Guest Vapourware

I'm afraid of most people as well, which is ironic considering I'm studying to be a social worker and that job has lots of client involvement. I find that I'm afraid because I don't know what to do in social situations, so I'm always thinking that I'll mess up somewhere and people will think ill of me.

Neither of these necessarily sound like asd issues to me. More like social anxiety.

I'm kind of inclined to agree with this, to some extent. Feeling that kind of nervousness about interacting with people may be at least partly a result of something ASD-related, but beyond that, it's by no means specific to ASDs. The underlying cause may or may not be the same, but the end result seems to be pretty much the same thing as social anxiety/social phobia (or even slightly on the paranoid side in the original post, depending on the details).

Either way, though, it does rather suck. I don't know that I'd say I was ever really "afraid" in that sense, but I did have plenty of anxiety of that kind for quite a while, and I sometimes almost forget about that now that it's improved so much lately. These days, I'm rarely afraid and usually not particularly anxious, either, but I still do think most people suck most of the time anyway. Heh.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm afraid of dealing with them, there are so few i'm able to be free and open with without evoking awkward and/or confused responses... I'm certainly extremely socially anxious, and i think it's relatively common amongst ASD folk, simply because of the often implicit difficulty in relating comfortably to neurotypical people.

• 1 month later...

I agree with a couple of other posters; sounds more like a social anxiety thing. Perhaps it's comorbid with an ASD (if that's what you have.)

I have Asperger's and I can get anxious around people (especially new ones), but not to the extent of having full-blown Social Anxiety Disorder. I am sure that if I didn't take meds, though, I may be.

• 1 month later...

Archived