CrazyBoards.org

Mix of Medications and Withdrawl

I have been seeing one psychiatrist for 10 years. I still suffer badly with depression and anxiety so I decided to see a new one and get a fresh start. When i left my psych i was on Effexor xr 225, seroquel 150 mg., deplin 7.5 mg, xanax .5 mg 4x a day.

Now I am seeing a new dr and she is weaning me from effexor 225. I have gone down to 150 in a 2 week time but she had me add 10 mg and then 20 mg of prozac.

It was horrible. I stayed in bed.

So when I saw her the other day she said keep everything as is including effexor xr 150 and up the prozac to 40.

I am just scared and feel like I am on so many meds.

She said we are going to go slow off the effexor xr so i can get to prozac 80 mg but i see her again next week...

Anyone else on a different combo of meds like this?

I hear you. I think we all are different and need different cocktails to meet our needs and different body/mind. I started out as a basketcase with depression and anxiety... Started with a few different Anti-Depressants along with Xanax. Moved to different Anti-depressants and Klonopin. Had a hospital stay after some hard times... Now i take Seroquel and a mood stabilizer. I no longer take a Benzo. I think that things just work out that way.... Sorry for the rambling...

Actually, you are not on that many meds. Really just 1 (or will be 1 after you are off Effexor) antidepressant, Seroquel (a low dose) , Xanax, and folic acid. So basically just 3 meds. In contrast, I am on 7 meds. You need to find the combo that works for you. It doesn't matter how many meds it is unless you have to pay out-of-pocket then finances become a concern.

I get the feeling that I'm taking too many meds whenever it's lots of separate pills at different times during the day. I'm only on 4 drugs but it comes out at... I'm guessing around 10 pills a day. Maybe that's why you feel the same. I'm guessing you take Effexor and Prozac in the morning, Xanax throughout the day and Seroquel at night. Once you've ditched the Effexor you'll just be on 1 antidepressant, 1 tranquilizer and 1 antipsychotic. It seems much more reasonable if you look at it like that. Also if taking Xanax multiple times a day is burdensome you could consider suggesting Xanax XR to your psychiatrist. I think it only has to be taken once a day.

Thanks so much everyone-i felt better reading your comments. it felt like i was on a ton of medicine. just not looking forward to the rest of the withdrawl from the effexor xr. when i went from 225-150 mg. i could not get out of bed.

yuck...

Archived