CrazyBoards.org

So this is the latest idea to address my fucked up sleep. Neurontin. In theory it makes sense, but in practice, I'm kind of woozy, but definitely awake.

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried neurontin for sleep? If so, how did it work? What dosage did you take, and when?

Please don't offer up suggestions of other sleep meds unless it's something incredibly novel. I've pretty much tried them all, and they just don't work, or they keave me impossibly groggy the next day, or they make me crazier, or, in the case of seroquel, in combination with saphris they make me fat, fat, fat, even at low doses for sleep.

I've been using gabapentin as a mood stabilizer/anxiolytic for three years. It worked OK for that (but not once my mood changes/stress became extreme). I've had trouble with a lot of sleep meds, too, so have tried using extra gabapentin for sleep on occasion. It used to work for sleep when I wasn't taking many meds, and I felt comfortable taking an extra 300-600mg on top of my nightime 300mg-- I have a vague memory that it did make me a bit hungover the next day. I am taking so many meds right now, most at bedtime, that I am hesitant to take a big dose of the gabapentin on top of that at this point. I'm glad you asked, though, because I am going to ask my pdoc how much extra I can take at bedtime. The trazadone and zolpidem have their huge downsides, and though some extra Vistaril often does help me fall asleep, I usually have to take a lot (225 mg or more), and I have to be motivated to actually turn out the light and lie down. Actually, that's the case for the gabapentin, too. It doesn't make me overwhelmingly sleepy, just tired enough that I kind of want to sleep.

If you aren't using it during the day, it would prolly work better. How much have you tried? When I first started using it daily, I felt really stoned, so I know that woozy feeling, but that went away. Are you doing all the other things we're supposed to do to get to sleep (cut out caffeine, warm drink, no electronics, lights off, etc. etc.)? I have a huge problem doing those things, because my brain just wants me to keep going and going even when I know it's a bad idea. This is the week I work on getting my sleep in order, because I feel like crap. Though I'd rather be watching old episodes of "Fringe" until 1 am...

My GP prescribed it for me for hot flashes, and originally had me split the dose am and pm. But it made me so sleepy during the day that I take it all (600 mg) at bedtime. I also take Ambien, and was taking that before the gabapentin so I'm not sure how much of my sleep is due to Ambien and how much to the gabapentin. The hot flashes were waking me up at night and the gabapentin has been great for that.

Maybe a combo of gabapentin and a low dose sleep med would help? I find that meds for sleep don't work that well if I've eaten within a few hours of bedtime. I'm also really fussy about a dark and cool room, quiet, etc.

One side effect of the gabapentin is that for the first two days it made me terribly nauseous, but it went away.

My boyfriend takes it for sleep and says it works well for him, but I don't know his dose. I took neurontin for sleep and it only knocked me out the first night. I had to take it with seroquel to get to sleep, but I am notoriously hard to put to sleep. I think I was taking 600mgs at night

Thanks for the info. Pdoc more or less left the dosage up to me, just said 300-900mg. I think I need to try taking it much earlier at night, like, about now, actually, if I want to get to sleep at a decent hour.

Interesting, Neurontin was like candy, it just did nothing for me.

What happened to you on Trazadone? I had kind of a weird experience, and am curious to see if anyone else has had similar side effects.

Thanks for the info. Pdoc more or less left the dosage up to me, just said 300-900mg. I think I need to try taking it much earlier at night, like, about now, actually, if I want to get to sleep at a decent hour.

Yeah i mostly take it around 8pm, and i go to bed at 1. so it starts relaxing me and works just in time. I remember on the old crazymeds website, they talked of how taking gabapentin once a day was dangerous. because the half-life of the drug is 10-12 hours per PI sheet, so u wake up and take it and go to bed and take it. but now they actually allow people to take it once a day.

Interesting, Neurontin was like candy, it just did nothing for me.

What happened to you on Trazadone? I had kind of a weird experience, and am curious to see if anyone else has had similar side effects.

Trazadone really unexpectedly set off a nasty mixed state. Pdoc was kind of skeptical that it was the cause, but It resolved in something like 24 hrs, once I stopped the traz. What happened with you?

Neurontin, in the end, did not help me sleep, and left me kind of stoned the next day, so that was another epic sleep fail.

Yeah i mostly take it around 8pm, and i go to bed at 1. so it starts relaxing me and works just in time. I remember on the old crazymeds website, they talked of how taking gabapentin once a day was dangerous. because the half-life of the drug is 10-12 hours per PI sheet, so u wake up and take it and go to bed and take it. but now they actually allow people to take it once a day.

Any danger associated with once daily dosing of neurontin would have been to those taking it to prevent seizures. There's never been any danger involved in once daily dosing for other indications.

• 2 weeks later...

I have horrible insomnia and I tried so many things.

Then last October I had surgery on my ankle. Pdoc prescribed 300mgs 3x a day for nerve pain cause the foot doc just gave me vicodin. Doesn't make me sleepy but since I've been sleeping wonderfully since I started it.

Archived