CrazyBoards.org

I Think I shouldn't be depressed because there are a lot of people out there who are worse off then me. I wasn't abused, I don't get bullied, it was that f****** hospital! I was sent to a mental hospital and now I have all sorts of things going on up there, what did I do, was it my fault, I feel sorry for the other girls, I'm scared, it's basically all that goes through my head! But I have food, clothes and a place to live, and some people are living on the streets begging for food or money, but here I am in my nice, cool, comfy bed typing selfishly about a depression I have when I shouldnt have it to begin with! Plus, I'm 13 and I am too young to have these feelings!

I started to have depressed feeling when I was 13, so 13 isn't to young. I hope you start to feel better soonish but having help from a therptist is a big help. A lot of younger people suffer from depression so it isn't uncommon at all. I felt the same when I was told I had depression, I am a uni student who has a loving family and awsome friends, people get depressed for different reasons, I wouldn't feel bad. One thing with helps me at least is having a routine which is easier said than done sometimes but try.

I agree that 13 isn't too young. Depression first really hit me at age 12, and I too had a place to live, clothes, and everything I needed. Sometimes there just isn't a reason. Do you have a therapist or someone you could talk to about what's going on with you?

There is no "should" or "shouldn't" when it comes to depression. It is an illness, like saying someone "shouldn't" get cancer because they have reasons to be happy. It is that simple.

please make sure your family are aware of how bad you are feeling right now and take steps to help you get the care you need, which may include medications and a therapist, as well.

Keeping up a routine as much as you can is a good idea.

Anna

Hi.

The hospital didn't cause the depression or stuff going round in your head. The hospital was where you went to have those symptoms treated. Sometimes the best that happens is that you are less unwell when let out of the hospital, not all better. But still, the hospital is not the reason you have symptoms. It is part of the solution, not cause of the sickness.

I first had problems with depression when I was 10. It was worse by 12. Then not quite so bad for a while. I had a good family, nice house, food, friends, etc. There was no reason. It just happened.

I agree with the others that routine is important. It can be hard day to day but overall, it makes a big difference.

I also agree that it's important for you to let your parents know how you are feeling. No one can help if you keep it all locked inside yourself.

I agree so much with Stacia. My depression started around age 13 and I had a good life. Depression is about chemicals in your brain, not things being wrong in your life. Of course bad things can make depression worse. You have every right to be depressed and you have every right to your feelings. If you want to talk anytime, we're here for you.

"But I have food, clothes and a place to live, and..."

This is not wrong, and you are a better person for being able to realise that.

But that doesn't mean in the slightest that your difficulties aren't real and important,

or that you should wait in line until all the greater wrongs of the world have been put right.

Depression can hit very young, for any of a wide range of reasons.

Unfortunately children often have few references to realise what's going on, and limited ways of trying to express it.

I felt "not properly part of the the world" from at least age 8. By 13 I felt pretty sure things weren't likely to get better.

Apart from us, do you have someone you can talk to about how you feel?

Archived