CrazyBoards.org

Remeron with Lexapro

So I've been on Remeron 45 mg for 6 months, with Abilify for much of that time. 5 weeks ago I felt none of it was helping and stopped the Abilify and started Lexapro 10 mg, with pdoc's OK. I had always done OK on SSRIs before.

My mood is way better, I feel much more content and optimistic about life since the Lexapro kicked in.

But I've come to realize I have mild panic attacks, as has been the case since taking 45 mg Remeron upon waking every morning. I was going through some stressful life stuff and thought that was why, but now I'm starting to blame the Remeron. I suspect that pumping up my norepinephrine has not been a good thing for my anxiety.

So I have cut the pills in half for 22.5 mg for the last two weeks and am feeling better. I did not tell my pdoc about this though. She was on board with eventually dropping the Remeron dose when we last spoke though. I tried 11.25 mg for a couple days, but woke up too early having chills and sweats. So back up to the 22.5 mg for now.

But I still have anxiety, worse than I remember being on SSRIs alone.

On the good side, Remeron helps me sleep and completely erases the sexual side effects of the Lexapro. Not sure how that works...

I hope the anxiety gets better.

I should also mention that I'm going to try quitting coffee and see if that helps. Just drink tea and eat dark chocolate for my caffeine.

I'm also curious why a medicine that boosts norepinephrine would be used for people with anxiety. How is Remeron considered anxiolytic if it does that? Or SNRIs for that matter.

I should also mention that I'm going to try quitting coffee and see if that helps. Just drink tea and eat dark chocolate for my caffeine.

I'm also curious why a medicine that boosts norepinephrine would be used for people with anxiety. How is Remeron considered anxiolytic if it does that? Or SNRIs for that matter.

Yeah, I also doin't know why a medicine that boosts norepinephrine is used to treat anxiety. I don't think the pdocs know either. If you read the package inserts/prescribing information for all antidepressants, it always has the wording "... is thought to work by ...." This means the manufactures don't even know with certainty how they work. Ok, I'm just ranting, sorry.

That being said, I think that low doses primarily affect seratonin and histamine. When you get up around 30 mg, it begins to hit NE.

I should mention that caffeine is caffeine no matter whether you get it from coffee or from tea or chocolate. If you have a lot of anxiety, it wouldn't hurt to limit your caffeine from all sources. Now I feel like a hypocrite because I consume copious amounts of coffee every day.

Right, I'm just cutting back a bit on the caffeine. Lowering the dose. Upping the Lexapro, fish oil, and exercise.

There's a couple of serotonin receptors that Remeron blockades, supposedly, which may help anxiety, and the sexual side effects. This is in tandem with the histamine and NE and whatever genetic hand of cards you've got.

So I've been on Remeron 45 mg for 6 months, with Abilify for much of that time. 5 weeks ago I felt none of it was helping and stopped the Abilify and started Lexapro 10 mg, with pdoc's OK. I had always done OK on SSRIs before.

My mood is way better, I feel much more content and optimistic about life since the Lexapro kicked in.

But I've come to realize I have mild panic attacks, as has been the case since taking 45 mg Remeron upon waking every morning. I was going through some stressful life stuff and thought that was why, but now I'm starting to blame the Remeron. I suspect that pumping up my norepinephrine has not been a good thing for my anxiety.

So I have cut the pills in half for 22.5 mg for the last two weeks and am feeling better. I did not tell my pdoc about this though. She was on board with eventually dropping the Remeron dose when we last spoke though. I tried 11.25 mg for a couple days, but woke up too early having chills and sweats. So back up to the 22.5 mg for now.

But I still have anxiety, worse than I remember being on SSRIs alone.

On the good side, Remeron helps me sleep and completely erases the sexual side effects of the Lexapro. Not sure how that works...

I hope the anxiety gets better.

Remeron and Lexapro together was very helpful for a while but like you the anxiety got to me. I would like to go back on remeron if the anxiety issue could be resolved perhaps with augmentation with another med. The sleep on remeron was golden. 30mg was the dose where it was the most helpful.Then we dropped it down to 15 the anxiety went away but I felt tired all day.

OK I definitely still have a problem with anxiety on the 22.5 mg. Perhaps with the recent boost in the Lexapro I can start cutting the Remeron into 11.25 mg again. Something's gotta give here. I remember being really good in terms of anxiety when I was on SSRIs (Lexapro or Zoloft) alone. And benzos are only a minor help.

When I took lex at 20mg it really chilled me out, I felt like I was on an antipsychotic. I get anxiety on NRI meds, but oddly desipramine didnt do that so much and it had good effects on pain and fatigue. It didnt do much at all on my depression though.

I've been cutting my Remeron into quarters for 11.25 mg for the last six nights. On the fourth or fith day I was in withdrawal hell but with some yoga, xanax, rest, and good food, I got back into a good space. Now I think my anxiety is less than on the 22.5 mg. I'm really thinking I do not do well with having my norepinephrine messed with.

I've been cutting my Remeron into quarters for 11.25 mg for the last six nights. On the fourth or fith day I was in withdrawal hell but with some yoga, xanax, rest, and good food, I got back into a good space. Now I think my anxiety is less than on the 22.5 mg. I'm really thinking I do not do well with having my norepinephrine messed with.

Yeah, the norepinephrine really starts to kick in at doses above 15mg. I remember being on remeron 30mg and it was the best thing for me I have ever found... except for that anxiety. I asked the pdoc when the anxiety would go away he said 2 weeks but it never did go away. Now I'm on 7.5 and that plus my other meds seem to be doing a good job. I could not even imagine being on 45 or above I would be jumping out my skin. I don't blame you for cutting the dose in half...Good luck :)

Exactly! I waited for months but the anxiety at 45 mg never went away (worse in mornings), not till I halved the dose did I realize Remeron could be the culprit.

I think I'm stable on the 11.25 mg, talk to the pdoc in 2 weeks, hopefully it only gets better until then.

I'm down to ~5 mg for 5 days now. Had some bad anxiety today. It seems every time I cut the dose down after 4-5 days the anxiety hits like a ton of bricks. Odd that both taking the medication, and withdrawing from it, cause anxiety. Fun stuff.

On the good side, I still get some help with sleep and the Lexapro side effects (as in none that I can detect), even at this low dose. Maybe staying on a little Remeron is OK. Who knows. I talk to the doc in a week.

I have been on ranging doses of remeron with pristiq and lexapro for the past year - my depression has finally lifted but I have been left feeling like I want to tear out of my skin. I started splitting my 22.5 last night into 11.25. Your post has given me hope that this will help with my anxiety. I was thinking about asking to go back on zoloft, but it sounds like the lexapro may be just fine to stay with.

Thanks. :)

Good luck with reducing the Remeron. I'm on day 3 of dropping it entirely. Can't say it's been easy. Today started out OK but my mood eventually went south. Anxiety and general malaise. I attribute this to not sleeping well. Also allergies are really bad. I see the pdoc tomorrow morning.

Day 4 was pretty good. I had no issues. On the other hand I took 1.5 mg of clonazepam to sleep the night before. Saw pdoc yesterday and she gave me some Valium for bedtime as I was getting a roller coaster rebound anxiety thing happening with the Xanax. Feel a bit groggy today but optimistic things are getting better. There is hope for people trying to quit Remeron.

Glad you are carrying out your plan successfully. I am an advocate of experimenting with different doses of your meds, as long as you do it intelligently. Only through extensive experimentation was I able to find the optimum mix of my three meds, Paxil, Remeron, and Wellbutrin.

Archived