CrazyBoards.org

I love Lithium. It has been a Godsend for me. No suicidal ideation at all, and I've had it for so long. But I get so tired of the dehydration. And trust me, I drink tons of water. I only have one soda in the morning, but then no more caffeine the rest of the day. I don't drink alcohol anymore. But ugh every day I get bad headaches, some strange vertigo every once in awhile, and just general malaise. I'm paranoid and I looked up Lithium toxicity, and I definitely don't have that. But I get tired of having to drink so much water and feeling gross. I'm depending on tylenol a lot lately to combat the headaches at least. How much water really am I supposed to be drinking? Is there something I shouldn't be eating? Perhaps no soda at all? I don't eat that much salt.

I tried Lithium for a month. The doctor at my day hospital program said that my headaches were separate from the Lithium. I knew they weren't. My skin felt so tight and dry. Like you I only had one caffeinated beverage a day. I had to take 1500mgs of Tylenol twice a day. I just couldn't take it, so I'm on something else. They changed my Dx anyway.

Have you talked with your Pdoc? I was told we needed between 8-12 glasses of water. The more the better. I was always in the bathroom.

I drink about 3 litres (approx 12 glasses) of water a day. And I was once told about how you shouldn't actually do any radical decreasing of your salt intake while on lithium, but it's 11pm and I don't have it in me to hunt down the source.

I drink about 3 litres (approx 12 glasses) of water a day. And I was once told about how you shouldn't actually do any radical decreasing of your salt intake while on lithium, but it's 11pm and I don't have it in me to hunt down the source.

Yep, that's what I read too (about the salt and water amount). I just looked it up in my psychiatric nursing textbook!

Archived