CrazyBoards.org

New To Borderline Personality Disorder

So Recently, As in yesterday, I saw a new Tdoc. We were talking and she was going through all my old files and my diagnosis from my old pdoc that I had for 5 years. Well at the end of our appointment she gets out the DMV-III book and tells me that I have borderline personality traits and starts reading all these characteristics, as she is reading the criteria for BPD I am counting how many I have, consequently I have all of them. UGH. So she tells me I should pick up this book called I hate you, Don't leave me. So I pick it up and I start reading it. I find myself getting very angry because I can relate to what is being said in this book. I am upset because I can't see my tdoc for another 6 weeks. How the hell am I suppose to get any treatment? Anyways I was just wondering, Is Borderline Personality Disorder curable and goes away or does it just kind of go into a remission or recovery but could come back, kind of like alcoholism?

Why can't you see your doc for another six weeks?

What kind of therapy will you be doing? DBT or schema are basically what's effective. Anything else is a crapshoot.

You can no longer meet the criteria after some intensive therapy, and of course if you choose to use the skills you were taught in therapy. If you use the skills, your brain should "deprogram" and you may not have those thoughts and urges anymore. Everyone is so individual, it's hard to say. For what it's worth, I've met quite a few people who have been through DBT and no longer meet the BPD criteria. They live regular lives and have healthy relationships.

I won't repeat what's already been said, but I've also heard that BPD improves with age.

Why is your next tdoc appt. so far away?

I've also read that book, it does scare me how a lot of it is relatable to me as well. If you haven't already, I would read the entire thing because it has a lot of great information.

Hey,

I can recommend some other good BPD books if you'd like - I read Get Me Out of Here, which is a memoir by a woman who did recover from her BPD. Lost in the Mirror is another good book about BPD symptoms and treatments and the like.

I think BPD is a very individual thing. I have, bizarrely, gotten quite a bit better with a couple years of pretty non-directive talk therapy. For me, most of the core BPD symptoms were because I wasn't treated very well as a child, and I didn't really know what a secure relationship was supposed to be like or feel like, especially with an authority figure. My lack of secure relationships made me feel completely unanchored, which led to all the other frantic BPD behaviors as I tried to make myself feel better as best as I knew how (which was not very well). My therapist and I worked through a lot of it in our relationship, and I feel a lot more secure now in the world and in interacting with other people. It was messy as fuck, and if you have the choice of DBT and you want to play the odds, that's the thing that's most likely to teach you how to not be Borderline anymore, but what I did, did help me a fair bit.

Me, I think I'll probably always have some of the more hard-wired aspects of BPD. I will probably always be more emotionally sensitive, more vulnerable to stress. But my quality of life is INFINITELY better than it was. These days, aside from sporadic Borderline freak-outs, my mood disorder gives me more hassle than my BPD.

I don't know if I believe that BPD is curable. It probably depends on the person and the BPD. I still have a lot of work to do, and I intend to continue in therapy and with my medication, and hopefully eventually get DBT, but I'm proud of how far I've come, and if I can get better, so can you.

Do you really only get therapy once every 6 weeks? If so, that's probably your biggest problem right there. You need some kind of intensive therapy to beat this thing.

Thanks everyone! I don't get to see my tdoc for 6 weeks because that is how far she is booked out. I am getting cheap services through my county due to lack of insurance. I have gone through DBT before when I was hospitalized before so I know what to expect there, but obviously it didn't work if I am still here having these issues... or maybe it just takes several times going through it? Thank You So Much!

Lilstronger15, I think you've come to a good place for exploring your BPD, there's lots of good support to be found and It's a good place to talk about your personal experience without being judged. I was diagnosed in the last year with BPD, but had critieria years back. To me my BPD is strongly connected to my lack of a safe enviroment growing up, lack of a caregiver, etc. It's common for some people who have a fairly normal home life can be diagnosed also. I read some of the books mentioned, they helped see past the scary "unstable" label to see a common illness that people have to work through. I am still in the "working it out" stage and will be for awhile. And you mention your anger.....I don't blame you, being diagnosed has always been a WTF moment for me.

Understanding the Borderline Mother is a worthwhile, albeit difficult, read - and gives insight into how the person with BPD affects those around him or her.

I read this book about 2 weeks ago. I most identified with the hermit. Although I do have a few waif characteristics (I'm generally not manipulative), The wasy they describe the hermit is, The hermit feels fearful and persecuted. When you get too close she feel she is being controlled or engulfed and hides within a shell of impregnable armor. She can be superstitious, suspicious and extraordinarily perceptive but her fears seem to prevent relaxation and enjoyment of life. She is usually unable to positively ask for anything for fear of rejection but attempted to meet her needs through creating guilt and anxiety. This is a "tough chick" persona. (Found this brief synopsis on the internet).

I've also read I Hate You, Don't Leave Me. Get me out of here, Girl, Interrupted, New Hope for Borderlines, Stop Walking on Eggshells, Lost in the Mirror.

Love for someone else is a great kickstart, but it's more solid to make changes for yourself, would you not agree? I'm not underestimating the power of the love I have received, but I also think it's possible and every common for people to recover for themselves.

Makes sense to me.

I am my motivating factor for trying to get better. I have heard countless times in my life, "Do it for your 3 children", and I always tell them I can't or don't want to do it for my kids. I want to do it for me. That may sound selfish, but I dunno, it's really how I feel inside and I don't want to lie about it.

Wow, this is a lot of information, I am just trying to sponge it all in. Thanks everyone.

:

I got a lot out of I Hate You, Don't Leave Me

I also picked up a NEW book at bookstore today called, The Buddha and The Borderline (It's a personal memoir about BPD recovery). Haven't started reading it yet.

Archived