CrazyBoards.org

off wellbutrin can't stay awake

I had a seizure about a month ago and they took me off wellbutrin and tramadol(for pain). Without the wellbutrin I sleep almost 18 hours a day and am extremely tired. I had the same problem before I went on it, so I know it's a chemical thing. I need an anti depressant that will keep me out of bed. Wellbutrin was the magic pill for me and now I can't take it. Everything I read says there's nothing else quite like it. I'm on atarax for anxiety and luvox for trichotillomania. My dr will give me provigil but insurance won't cover it. My urologist also gave me doxepin 25mg for chronic pain but I'm afraid to take it since I'm already so tired. Any advice on a wellbutrin replacement or something for bipolar that will keep me awake?

for fatigue and sedation you could try provigil, strattera, desipramine or maybe amphetamine depending on your doc and whether you also have ADD. I liked desipramine a lot. Unlike wellbutrin you can take it at night and if you get the timing right it will help you wake up in the morning. With wellbutrin you take it in the AM and its still going when you try to sleep.. and no good in the AM.

If its the dopamine kick you need, youre in a bad spot. Dopamine agonists, amphetamines and methylphenidate are probably it. If you can manage on an NRI there are several to try. Provigil is the least likely to mess with your BP but it still can.\

desipramine is awesome on pain, imo.. you might want to try that if pain is a big deal for you.

That's what I asked my urologist about. She said she typically didn't prescribe it and mentioned a patient who had long term success with amitryptline. When I told her it was too sedating she gave me doxepin. Have you tried this? If it doesn't help I'll try for the desipirimine again. I love provigil but insurance won't cover it and nuvigil didn't work. As far as amphetamines go, I want those to be last resort.

Not sure if this is a problem but desipramine like other TCAs and NRIs can give you difficulty urinating too.

Pretty much all the other TCAs have some sedation, nothing with desipramine.

Thanks for your replies. I took the doxepin last night and I feel ok. Atleast I'm awake. We'll see what happens though. I'm only on 25mg. She said the dose for chronic pain is much lower than for bipolar. I usually have to lower anything that makes me tired anyway. As far as trouble urinating, I go every hour or so, more if I'm flaring so I can live with that I think.

Archived