CrazyBoards.org

weird side effect i've been getting from effexor. I think this is what they're called. sometimes when i turn my head real fast i get a strange dizziness sensation, little bit like vertigo, sometimes it can be even more persistent. Happens when I move around to, lately it's been getting bad.

Anyone know or heard of this? Anyone figure out how to reduce this sensation? It's not really painful, just annoying

weird side effect i've been getting from effexor. I think this is what they're called. sometimes when i turn my head real fast i get a strange dizziness sensation, little bit like vertigo, sometimes it can be even more persistent. Happens when I move around to, lately it's been getting bad.

Anyone know or heard of this? Anyone figure out how to reduce this sensation? It's not really painful, just annoying

look up vertigo, ive had this on pristiq. the norepinephrine, really loosens your body up. so when you turn your head, you get this dizziness. also happens with other ssris, or anything taht acts on the CNS. it's not something to worry about IMO. but check with your doctor.

Three other neurotransmitters work centrally. Dopamine may accelerate vestibular compensation. Norepinephrine modulates the intensity of central reactions to vestibular stimulation and facilitates compensation. Histamine is present only centrally, but its role is unclear. It is known that centrally acting antihistamines modulate the symptoms of motion sickness

I had that only when discontinuing, but have heard of people having the symptom while on the med. Some side effects you learn to live with, but vertigo/brain shivers can become a problem. This is something to talk to your doctor about. If you don't have an appt soon, consider asking to move your next one up. Meanwhile, maybe someone with some practical solution will come along.

look up vertigo, ive had this on pristiq. the norepinephrine, really loosens your body up. so when you turn your head, you get this dizziness. also happens with other ssris, or anything taht acts on the CNS. it's not something to worry about IMO. but check with your doctor.

Three other neurotransmitters work centrally. Dopamine may accelerate vestibular compensation. Norepinephrine modulates the intensity of central reactions to vestibular stimulation and facilitates compensation. Histamine is present only centrally, but its role is unclear. It is known that centrally acting antihistamines modulate the symptoms of motion sickness

Stop it, stop it, stop it. If you do not have a citation substantiating what you say, don't say it. By cite, I mean one that substantiates specifically what you are saying, not some study that is at best tangential. Seriously, knock it off.

The term I've heard is "brain zaps", and it was one of the lousy symptoms I experienced when I was being taken off effexor. Have you recently changed your dose?

No i've been steady for about 6 months now. It comes and goes throughout the day randomly.

In any case I'd rather deal with these than the depression.

Stop it, stop it, stop it. If you do not have a citation substantiating what you say, don't say it. By cite, I mean one that substantiates specifically what you are saying, not some study that is at best tangential. Seriously, knock it off.

no but, any antidepressant can cause dizziness it's a relatively common side effect seen on medication bottles i believe. for me it got worse while on pristiq, and no i dont hafta back that up cause that is my personal experience.

no but, any antidepressant can cause dizziness it's a relatively common side effect seen on medication bottles i believe. for me it got worse while on pristiq, and no i dont hafta back that up cause that is my personal experience.

Your own experience is one thing, and it is quite welcome. But when you start going on about neurotransmitters and such, you need to back up your statements, or just don't make them in the first place.

The term I've heard is "brain zaps", and it was one of the lousy symptoms I experienced when I was being taken off effexor. Have you recently changed your dose?

No i've been steady for about 6 months now. It comes and goes throughout the day randomly.

In any case I'd rather deal with these than the depression.

It's something that might get better over time, or might be somewhat helped by a slight dose reduction. Do raise it with your pdoc though, as there might be other meds with which you'd get similar results, without the dizzy ick.

It's something that might get better over time, or might be somewhat helped by a slight dose reduction. Do raise it with your pdoc though, as there might be other meds with which you'd get similar results, without the dizzy ick.

It seems to be getting worse the longer I'm on the drug, what's most annoying is it finally began to knock out my depression, but added this nasty side effect.

I don't want to reduce my dosage, but I might have to, I hope my depression doesn't return.

I used to get those all of the time. I still get them periodically and I've been off the medication for 2 years. You absolutely cannot tell me or convince me that it's not the Effexor that now effects me in that way (paranoid about this). It is one of the reasons I am avoidant of AD's (especially Effexor), now. Can't remember what dose I was on.The Lexapro I now take was almost like a placebo to me in the past. However I do want to try to be compliant so my Pdoc sees I'm trying to get better.

It seems to be getting worse the longer I'm on the drug, what's most annoying is it finally began to knock out my depression, but added this nasty side effect.

I don't want to reduce my dosage, but I might have to, I hope my depression doesn't return.

Is there a timing issue that you see? Does it happens a certain number of hours after you take your dose?

Did you experience anything like this on the lower dose?

What dose were you on and are your on now, btw?

Talking about your personal experience is fine. That is a purpose of CrazyBoards. Talking science w/o cites directly backing up what you say is not fine. That's personal opinion wrapped up in scientific words, which we don't do.

I got that sort of effect when I was discontinuing lexapro. I had dizziness, a little nausea mixed in. I had shock sensations when I turned my head.. bizarre and hard to describe.

I wonder if this is something that comes up as you get closer to the time you take your dose of effexor? Like your levels drop a little and you start going into withdrawal? I know its half-life is fairly short.

If it happens all the time Id hope that its temporary. If it doesnt go away you might be stuck with it, or move to another drug. =(

Is there a timing issue that you see? Does it happens a certain number of hours after you take your dose?

Did you experience anything like this on the lower dose?

What dose were you on and are your on now, btw?

I was on 150mg of effexor for a few months and still got the dizzies. For the past 3 months now I've been on 300mgs and the dizzies keep getting worse. I don't notice much of a timing, it's pretty much all day long when I turn my head real fast or move my eyes to the corners, I get a weird dizzylike sensation.

As annoying as it is, I don't think I can go back to being depressed and anxious again, I just wish there was a remedy.

What other antidepressants have you tried?

Effexor is just one AD. In fact, there are two others very similar to it. There are very many others. Most likely, you have lots of options remaining. Dizzy all the time probably isn't necessary.

Or you might be able to switch to another, similar, med. Cymbalta, for instance, works very similarly to effexor, but doesn't tend to have brain shivers and such associated with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for replies and suggestions.

The past few days the dizzy issues haven't been bothering me so much. It seems to come and go quite randomly. I think I was worrying too much over it. It beats being depressed in bed all day.

I get the 'brain shivers' if I forget to take my dose more then 2 days in a row.

Skipping your meds for even one day is stupid. You'll never achieve any semblance of stability that way. Set a timer on your phone, get yourself a weekly pill organizer, or do whatever else will help you remember to take your meds.

Archived