CrazyBoards.org

Concentration? Can't do it.

Alright. I'm pretty sure this is the right board for this, oh yeah.

But.. okay, here's what I'm experiencing. I've told my tdoc about this, my foggy memory, my inability to recollect certain points in events but I know they happened, and things like that and she seems to think it's dissociation, but that's not what I'm here for, she and I have got that under control.

When I'm concentrating on schoolwork, or trying to, I tend to .. slip in and out of concentration. Little things distract me, if it's the television from the other room in my mom's room, I hear it, and it distracts me and I slip off into my own little world for periods of time. My own thoughts distract me, and they tend to confuse me in other situations too. I can't have the TV on when I'm working, or listen to music with words. It tends to annoy me because I can't concentrate on reading the material when I hear words. For example, I was trying to listen to Stylo the other day by the Gorillaz while working on English work and I couldn't and it annoyed the hell out of me and I had to turn it off.

While I work, I slip off into my own world, my little fantasy world and I can't help it, I think about things that I draw, things that I write about and I distract myself and I never mean to. I always snap back, but it's... it's weird.

I try to ignore it, and I try to do a good job but it's still hard.

Is that... dissociation? That's what I'm wondering, and I'm trying to fix it somehow and trying to snap myself back into the realm of YOU NEED TO DO YOUR SCHOOLWORK.

Most of us are completely like this. Completely identify.

Not quite sure if it's dissociation - although you mentioned that your tdoc seems to think so? Go with their opinion, especially if they've any experience with the DD-side of things.

Most of us are completely like this. Completely identify.

Not quite sure if it's dissociation - although you mentioned that your tdoc seems to think so? Go with their opinion, especially if they've any experience with the DD-side of things.

She does, she specializes in dissociation, and in my next visit, I'm going to describe what I'm feeling to her.

Thank you, though. This is very bothersome.

I slip off too. I do this pretty much anywhere (except when I'm driving). I can be doing something I'm really interested in too. I'll be reading a book, magazine, shopping, having coffee at dunking donuts, or watching tv and I just find my mind wandering to my little fantasy world. I'll look up and 5 minutes has passed. It annoys the hell out of me. You're not alone.

That just sounds to me like ADHD, inattentive type.

I was diagnosed with ADD a while back, but my pdoc doesn't think I have it anymore as far as I know.

I slip off too. I do this pretty much anywhere (except when I'm driving). I can be doing something I'm really interested in too. I'll be reading a book, magazine, shopping, having coffee at dunking donuts, or watching tv and I just find my mind wandering to my little fantasy world. I'll look up and 5 minutes has passed. It annoys the hell out of me. You're not alone.

I can relate there. I can relate there a whole bunch. I was getting applications at a gamestop once, and I stood there for a few minutes, thought the guy at the register was talking to somebody... and the guy at the register had to address me directly to get my attention, I was so far gone. It was.. it was interesting. I zone out all the time, always in my own fantasy world. It's troublesome, as I said before. I zone out when I'm talking to people, too. It's bizarre. I'm glad I'm not alone.

When I dissociate, I can not do very much. I can "feel" very cerebral, but I am not able to do a fraction of what you have going on at one time...I think the other posts are right about this being an attention issue, personally you sound very smart

i'm feeling really tempted to say this sounds more like an attention deficit issue rather than a dissociative one... but i'm no pdoc. dissociation for me might interrupt a task for a moment while people "rearrange". if things are loud and noisy inside, that can distract me from getting something done. but in terms of doing schoolwork, or things like that... depression and anxiety make our concentration and retention FAR worse. as can the meds.

When I dissociate, I can not do very much. I can "feel" very cerebral, but I am not able to do a fraction of what you have going on at one time...I think the other posts are right about this being an attention issue, personally you sound very smart

Ha, thank you very much! It's very hard for me to concentrate most of the time, I tend to drift off and lose time whenever that happens, especially when I'm doing schoolwork. It didn't happen today as badly, which was very good. It may be an attention issue, but I'm not sure.

i'm feeling really tempted to say this sounds more like an attention deficit issue rather than a dissociative one... but i'm no pdoc. dissociation for me might interrupt a task for a moment while people "rearrange". if things are loud and noisy inside, that can distract me from getting something done. but in terms of doing schoolwork, or things like that... depression and anxiety make our concentration and retention FAR worse. as can the meds.

Sometimes I can concentrate, but most of the time I do drift off as I said before. I lose myself and go away for a while, I get lost and lose time. I also have comprehension issues, and I tend to zone out as I'm reading, and I have to reread something several times to get it-- it's difficult to explain, too. I figure I might as well lay everything on the line here.

I told my tdoc everything that I felt, with the fuzzy memories with painful incidents, too and getting lost in my own world all the time, and as I stated before she seemed to think I showed dissociative tendencies. But like some posters said, it may be an attention deficit issue. I'll check it out with my docs, but it's good to get things off my chest.

ADHD is really more of a pdoc thing than a therapist thing. If you haven't described this to your pdoc as well as you've done here, try again. You could even just print out your initial post in this thread, and bring that to our next appointment. I know it sounds like kind of a pain, but ADHD is one thing for which meds work really well for most people, without a lot of side effects. So it is definitely worth pursuing.

ADHD is really more of a pdoc thing than a therapist thing. If you haven't described this to your pdoc as well as you've done here, try again. You could even just print out your initial post in this thread, and bring that to our next appointment. I know it sounds like kind of a pain, but ADHD is one thing for which meds work really well for most people, without a lot of side effects. So it is definitely worth pursuing.

I'll do that the next time I see my pdoc. I used to be on adderall when I was dxed with ADD, but according to him I don't have ADD, it was a misdiagnosis. I don't know, but I do know I need to bring this all up to my doctors because it inhibits my ability to focus, and I lose time. Granted, they're only minutes, but they're minutes I can't get back. Thank you for your help, by the way.~

Dissociation isn't a zoning out thing. At least, here it isn't. We don't zone out. None of us do. In fact, we try very hard to do the opposite. But when we dissociate it can feel like we've fallen into a glass jar - things get a little wavy or blurry around the edges, and the sounds are muffled and sort of strange. Time slows down. And later on, we have very little idea what happened during that time. That's not an inability to concentrate. That's the brain literally going "okay. This could get ugly. Let's isolate and have a solid thinking session on how we can get out of this mess." Even if the mess is deciding what to have for dinner.

Would this happen to you in something important, like a job interview? Because that happened here two weeks ago. Because we were nervous we dissociated. That's sort of the key, we think - does it happen because a part of you is bored/agitated/wandering off? Or because a part of you is scared/nervous/anxious/feeling threatened?

((Incidentally, this is different from switching, lest you think that being multiple has confused the situation. It hasn't)).

Dissociation isn't a zoning out thing. At least, here it isn't. We don't zone out. None of us do. In fact, we try very hard to do the opposite. But when we dissociate it can feel like we've fallen into a glass jar - things get a little wavy or blurry around the edges, and the sounds are muffled and sort of strange. Time slows down. And later on, we have very little idea what happened during that time. That's not an inability to concentrate. That's the brain literally going "okay. This could get ugly. Let's isolate and have a solid thinking session on how we can get out of this mess." Even if the mess is deciding what to have for dinner.

Would this happen to you in something important, like a job interview? Because that happened here two weeks ago. Because we were nervous we dissociated. That's sort of the key, we think - does it happen because a part of you is bored/agitated/wandering off? Or because a part of you is scared/nervous/anxious/feeling threatened?

((Incidentally, this is different from switching, lest you think that being multiple has confused the situation. It hasn't)).

It happens when I'm trying my best to concentrate, if an assignment might intimidate me or make me nervous I try to do it but I slip off somewhere else sometimes and I can't help it. It feels like I'm putting it off but I'm not. Even when I say this and I know it's the truth I can't help but feel like I'm making it up. I said that to my tdoc, and she said... that I exhibit traits of dissociation.

In that gamestop I mentioned several posts ago, I'm.. a little nervous in big malls and stuff, I wish people wouldn't notice me when I'm alone, when I'm with my mother I'm okay though. I was by myself that time, but the guy at the register was talking to someone, and I didn't think he had time to give me an application so I stood there and waited, looked at games and spaced out. I call it spacing out because I'm not sure what else to call it right now, I just get lost in my own thoughts and lose time. He had to raise his voice to get me to snap back.

And I remember... some instances of my ex best friend-- he was abusive to me, verbally and that's why he's gone-- and I fighting, and I don't remember what he said. I don't remember everything he said, I just remember me crying. The same with my dad, I don't remember everything he said when to me when he yelled, but I know he yelled. A lot. So... it's not bad, but...

• 1 month later...

Get a diagnosis of ADHD from your doc. Then go to your school. Once you are official you can tell them and they can make "Accommodations." for you but not until it's official.   I get to put on headphones while taking tests. I like techno or trance, one of my favorites for some reason is playing the Transformers Theme Song, by Black Lab. I find playing a song you like over and over and over lets you forget it's there but also blacks out everything else, classical music works as well but makes you sleeepy.

Without music the sound of people breathing and writing and moving papers around in an otherwise silent lab makes me want to throw things. Silence can be so FREAKING LOUD.

Archived