CrazyBoards.org

Schedule change and aggravated symptoms?

I oversleep. I didn't used to, but increasingly in the past few years as I've started to feel constantly depressed, I find that sometimes I escape to bed, that turning out the light and lying there in the peaceful dark is the only time I feel content or at ease all day. I have even stopped clenching my jaw when I sleep; I know this both because I have stopped having so many headaches, and because I have developed a slack-jawed relaxation that leads to drooling, and frequent fresh pillowcases (kind of gross...sorry).

But I will sleep ten...twelve...fourteen hours or more, and still be so wasted and dragged out in the afternoons that I could take a nap. I usually don't indulge the nap, because I'd feel guilty for being so damned lazy and useless, but I'm also not good for much beyond that. I play solitaire, write, or read, which is about all I have energy for.

The issue of the day is that, as of this week, I now work from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. on weekends. When I worked evenings, it was not an issue; I could be in bed by eleven or midnight, and sleep til ten or eleven a.m. Still useless to the rest of the household, but at this point I've reached a Zen state of apathy and anhedonia that makes it easy not to engage with my old anxieties as much. Every cloud has a silver lining. ;) Unfortunately, with this new work week, I'm no longer able to fit my apparent need to sleep more into the schedule as neatly. Contributing anything meaningful to the household as far as chores or animal care means being up til at least nine at night, and back up at 4:30 on Saturdays and Sundays. Doesn't help matters that I started my early weekends the same week that DST started. Talk about slack-jawed and drooling.

It's been two! days! and I'm already sitting at my desk zoning out. This morning I sat for almost forty-five minutes without doing a single thing, not even goofing off. Just...sat here, not paying the slightest attention to what my coworkers were doing, or glancing at the clock. Hell, I didn't realize most of an hour had passed until something startled me back into awareness. I check out like that a lot, but it's never happened so completely at work before. Usually even if I do check out, it's not for very long. In fact, I just did it again writing this, but it was only a couple minutes that time. That's the reason my emotional memory is full of holes, and my thinking/memory association processes are so fucked up, I'm pretty sure. I've had these episodes like this for years, but having such a complete, long-lived one in a normally engaging environment is not okay. It's a good thing there were no dp orders coming in. When I updated the order feed, it dropped a couple of pages. Not cool. I'm supposed to be keeping an eye on that. This has never impacted my performance so heavily before. :(

Have you had any diet, med or lifestyle changes that might ALSO contribute to this?

If you are feeling this exhausted, one avenue to explore is the quality of sleep that you are getting.

That is, are you actually benefitting from all of that snoozing?

Like, maybe you wake up a lot, maybe you've developed some kind of sleep issue, maybe a change in diet has affected how you are functioning.

The best advice I can give you is to NOT give in to the urge to sleep in until all hours on the weekends. A little is ok, but until one in the afternoon will throw you way off. Getting up at the same time every day will help to start regulate your cycle.

Good for you for not giving in to the nap.

Sorry if I missed this, but have you discussed the sleepiness issues with your PDoc and/or GP?

Hi Luna. Thank you for answering. :)

The doc knows I sleep a lot. I had tests for thyroid problems when I first went to the doc, because I guess that's a flag. They came up clean, though. Doc says it's depression, and the meds may help. Haven't noticed a change yet, but it hasn't been quite two months yet. I know the meds take awhile to start working.

Lifestyle change...apart from a schedule flip-flop, I've been under stress again. My oldest sis had her son preemie, and I've been her main moral support. I don't mind, I know she needs it, but it takes a lot of my resources, which are already way low from depression. Sorry...I don't mean that in a whiny way, promise.

My diet is okay. I have been trying to eat real meals instead of just eating a little something easy to make when my stomach complains. Lots of fruit, especially (the sweets give me a mood lift, and better that than candy). My weight loss has actually leveled out.

I did crash for an hour when I got home Sunday, but I had a terrible headache, and I felt derealized. I can't take Excedrin for the headaches, because of the Citalopram. So I laid down with a microwave rice bag and slept it off. Got rid of the ache, at least. (Y)

edit: I meant to say that I do wake often, every time there is any noise. Long habit; when I took care of my parents, that meant many short nights and premature wakeups. It's been six months, but I still wake up at every little disturbance.

Do you snore?

Nope, not that I know of. I have awful TMJ problems from years of bruxism, which sometimes mimic some symptoms of sinus problems, like pain and swelling, but no snoring.

Do you snore?

Nope, not that I know of. I have awful TMJ problems from years of bruxism, which sometimes mimic some symptoms of sinus problems, like pain and swelling, but no snoring.

try to wake up the same time is a good word of advice.

Checking the quality of your sleep is another.

If your depressed and bed is your escape I uhh? Don't know. Talk to the doctor(s) and try to figure out what it is.

Thanks. :) I usually try to wake the same time every day, and go to bed around the same time every night, but that's become hard since my work schedule is all over the place right now. :/

Hi. :) Thanks for replying. I've been on Celexa for about two months now. I haven't noticed it aggravating the sleepiness, though it does make me dizzy. That's the only one...well, unless you count coffee. ;)

Archived