CrazyBoards.org

SI and shame/guilt--> breaking the cycle

Makes sense in kind of a funky way. I think a lot of people with food issues could relate to that.

It's great you know the root of why you SI. Knowing that could help you from doing further damage. Positive body image is not an easy thing to maintain for a lot of folks. I wish I had some words of wisdom besides therapy, therapy, therapy, but I don't.

I can totally understand this shame/guilt thing. I guess what really helped me out of it is talking myself out of SI by thinking about how I didn't want to have to hide/come up with excuses for the wounds and how I would really prefer to not have further scarring. Maybe that won't work for everyone, but it definitely helped me out. It seems you already know your triggers, which is a good thing. I'm not really sure how to help you with the body image because, over time, I just sort of accepted myself...getting a pretty/sexy/awesometastic dress helped me a lot in being like "oh hey. look at me. i'm pretty!!!!" even though I only wear dresses/skirts if it's a nice, sunny day... I'm weird. (Even if you're not female, getting nice clothes of some sort may help? If you don't have a lot of money, just rummage through Good Will. I've managed to find nice things there.) I'm not sure how else to help you except to maybe suggest you try to find some other way to cope/manage your urges. (Go out, watch a movie, read a book, play a game, drink some tea, exercise, do something else that may work for you?)

• 2 weeks later...

hey i completely get the shame/guilt. i have friends that really want me to stop, which is encouraging but can end badly. If i end up "relapsing" into cutting again, i do a few, but then feel guilty about disappointing them and go at it again. very vicious circle.

there is definitely alot of alternatives, one thing i did as a middle-ground was keeping a rubber band on my wrist. i snapped it when i had a urge to cut, small sting but nothing damaging they also can leave temporary "scars" so it is satisfying enough to keep you from cutting. its also nothing to feel shameful or guilty about!

Archived