CrazyBoards.org

Billboard: "Goodbye Weight! Hello Me!"

Guest Recluse

Guest Recluse

So I'm driving home, and there's this new billboard on Loop 410 of a rail-thin woman standing in one leg of an enormous pair of pants, holding the waistband out almost as far as her spindle arm will reach, and she's grinning/leering at me as I drive past with the caption:

Goodbye Weight!

Hello Me!

Now normally I'd have come up with some sort of humorous delivery, or at least some basic narrative vehicle for providing this one to you, something to inspire conversation or something, but I'm fresh the fuck out tonight, this was just downright fucking offensive on a level that can't be made funny. Translated into 'cunt-speak', it basically just looks to me like it reads:

You're ENORMOUS.

You aren't a person!

Whoever thought that was a good idea for a weight loss surgery billboard needs to eat a dick and a dozen donuts, then wash it down with a few gallons of pure high-fructose corn syrup. That's all I've got tonight.

People fucking suck. They suck.

i... i've got nothing either.

hello ME??? wtf????

how about Goodbye, Weight... Hello Crushing Realization That I'm Still Miserable!

that's just fucking infuriating.

i hope that billboard gets tagged to death.

If there's one thing I can't fucking stand it's billboards and advertisements like that. Using that billboard's logic, one would assume if one is over say, 200lbs, one is not a person. One is not themselves unless they're SKINNY.

Man, I've had identity issues because of my own mental illness, but that's crazy. I feel like myself, I feel like azul, and guess what? I've been fat all my damn life. I feel pretty 'me' right now. I'm over 200lbs and I have no regrets. Livin' it up. Thug life, etc, etc.

That's pretty fucked up. Those billboards make me want to cringe and vomit and not much does these days... except billboards, ads like that, promoting dropping more weight than is healthy to be a size 0. Jesus Christ. I could ramble about this all day. I just think people should be happy in their own body. It makes me sick that the media makes everyone want to be skinny. Life will be perfect if you drop all of your weight just so you can oil yourself up and slip into a pair of skinny jeans! Look at this billboard! Feel shitty about yourself!

To quote one of the best things on the internet on the subject of the person who thought the billboard was a GREAT IDEA,

PEOPLE LIKE THAT ARE THE REASON GOD DOESN'T TALK TO US ANYMORE.

Yeah billboards like this piss me off..

As a former gastric bypass patient,

I'm considered a colossal failure,

I'm 8 years postop... It was a year-long process before I even had the surgery my very first way in I was 398lbs. when I went into surgery I weighed 317 pounds. In today I hover around 210 pounds. Yes I would love to be thinner. But I consider myself a success with gastric bypass. I really wish the medical community would start redefining weight loss success. If you go to a gastric bypass support group there's not too many size zeros there were postop for many years.

That billboard sucks rocks. We should throw rocks at it, it sucks so bad. While I joke with my skinny friends that I've lost as much as they weigh, I'm still overweight by today's standards (198 lbs.). But hey, I'm happy where I am for now. Billboards like that don't help. They don't help at all.

Guest Recluse

I'm still overweight by today's standards (198 lbs.). But hey, I'm happy where I am for now. Billboards like that don't help. They don't help at all.

Exactly! This is where I'm at right now too. I like my body just the way it is, I'm curvy, but not too curvy, and it took me years to be okay with how I'm built, which no amount of weight loss is going to change - seeing this shit makes me feel low again. I'm short, I have a lot of muscle mass...you don't liposuction that shit off.

I'm in the midst of weight loss, and I'm glad I haven't a seen a billboard like that.

However, "health" magazines are just as bad. I know that I'm built how I'm built (short and very curvy, a bit bottom heavy) but those mags still tell me that if I were to just exercise right, then I'd have "long, lean, sexy legs!" No I won't. And having short stocky legs doesn't make me less sexy, or less anything.

And I'm trying to raise kids in this culture. I want my kids to see a person, not a body, but society is telling us all that we're bodies first, and only the culturally defined "pretty" bodies get to be people.

HARF!

I agree that that was an obnoxious billboard, but there are a couple of things in this thread that are bothering me almost as much. First, there seems to be a pervasive sense that there's something wrong with anyone who elects to lose weight, rather than accepting a size she finds, unacceptable, for whatever reasons, vanity, health, whatever. At my current, AAP-aided, weight, I don't feel like myself. And to me, just accepting this weight would feel like giving up. I'm not saying anyone who is comfortable at her current weight, whatever it happens to be, is wrong. Just that I'm not either.

Then there's the sense that the media's influence is the only reason a person would want to lose weight, which is difficult to even take seriously, so oversimplified it is.

And the assumption that losing weight is somehow an implicit risk to one's health. Again, offensive, but difficult to take seriously.

SS, I'm not seeing the same things in this thread that you are, and I'm also very unhappy with my current weight and using a fairly drastic diet to change it.

What do you mean, when you say you don't feel like yourself? I have an issue where I still see myself as thin, in my head. So walking past a mirror, or seeing a picture, can be a nasty shock. I hate seeing that other people are not seeing the "me" that I think of myself as. But at the same time, I'm still me no matter what I weigh. The only thing that changed when I got fat, was that I got fat.

As for the media influence - it's not that it's the only reason, but it can be a major reason, and it can set people up to fail. I think of the photo-shopped ads where the model's head was wider than her hips. Those kinds of unattainable ideals of beauty have an impact on all of us. I mean, when I was in my teens and very thin, I was convinced I was grossly overweight because my thighs touched. That just happens to be the way I'm built - I store fat around my legs first (I had a teeny tiny waist at the same time that I felt I was huge) but models don't look like me. They are long and lean. I know I can't be the only girl who thought she was overweight when she wasn't, because she held herself up to unattainable, media driven goals. It's why I'm pissed at purported "health" magazines telling me I can target parts of my body to make them look different - it's a lie. You can't spot reduce (without liposuction). Your body will lose weight in it's own way. I will never have long, lean legs, no matter what exercises I do (or don't do).

And weight loss, when undertaken to reach those unattainable goals set forth by media as society's standards, can be a risk to one's health. Of course it isn't always, but it can be.

I agree that that was an obnoxious billboard, but there are a couple of things in this thread that are bothering me almost as much. First, there seems to be a pervasive sense that there's something wrong with anyone who elects to lose weight, rather than accepting a size she finds, unacceptable, for whatever reasons, vanity, health, whatever. At my current, AAP-aided, weight, I don't feel like myself. And to me, just accepting this weight would feel like giving up. I'm not saying anyone who is comfortable at her current weight, whatever it happens to be, is wrong. Just that I'm not either.

Not sure where you're seeing that there's something wrong with losing weight. I, myself have lost nearly 100 pounds, and the OP has mentioned losing a lot of weight as well. What we find offensive about the billboard is that it implies heavy people are not really people *until* they've lost weight, and that's just not true. While I'm fairly happy at where I'm at - for now (as mentioned before) that doesn't mean I won't try to lose weight in the future. I just seem to have plateaued and don't feel like putting in the extra effort it will take for me to shed the forty or so pounds I'll need to be a "healthy" weight.

Then there's the sense that the media's influence is the only reason a person would want to lose weight, which is difficult to even take seriously, so oversimplified it is.

And the assumption that losing weight is somehow an implicit risk to one's health. Again, offensive, but difficult to take seriously.

Actually, it was my knees that caused me to lose my weight - they hurt like a son-of-a-bitch now but they hurt way more when I weighed near 300 pounds, which negates the other implication you're seeing. Losing weight was *for* my health not a risk. I haven't really seen anyone on this thread imply that losing weight is unhealthy (unless someone is already underweight or undertakes a drastic weight-loss system, I don't see how it can be).

sigh. these ads push so many buttons, that's why they freakin work. size and identity and worth and recognition are all terribly mixed up in our culture.

maybe my comment sounded like i think losing weight is bad (i am hugely biased after all - i lost 85 pounds due to my ED, and nothing about it was healthy). i don't think losing weight is bad unless you're already underweight or doing risky things to achieve your goals.

what i was trying to jab at was this idea that you become a real person once you're thin. i had this idea in my head that life would be better because i was thin. the horrifying part is that it's half true. advertising that exploits this totally unacceptable reality really makes me angry.

the untrue part of my assumption was that i'd be happier because i'd like my body better. i am no happier at a size 2 than a size 18. stuff is physically easier to do, which is the only true bonus. but i still hate my body and live in fear of regaining any weight. i don't feel any more confident or attractive than i did before. i still criticize my body constantly, it's just that "fat" doesn't always top the list now - i find something else to hate. and that's not okay. but i think my warped view of my body (never ever good enough) is actually common for western women. as is the idea that happiness is going to follow weight loss.

the true part is that when you become thin, you're no longer invisible as a woman. when i was bigger, people would look right through me - like i did NOT exist. i've heard lots of other larger women say this, too. when i lost all that weight, that ALL changed for me in a stupefying way. suddenly everyone looks at me (and not always leering or anything like that - they just actually acknowledge the presence of a person). people talk to me WAY more often. different kinds of people want me to be part of their social circle. and of course, i get hit on a LOT more - more now at age 40 than when i was 29.

and that's a sucky reality to live in. maybe some of the other folks here who've had a dramatic weight loss can explain better how the whole world suddenly treats you differently. like a person. i have an identity in the world now that i didn't have before.

and nobody should make money exploiting that reality. to me, it's like a billboard for a skin lightening procedure for black people. black people are often invisible, too. the whiter you look, the more the general population is willing to acknowledge you (i know this because half my family is black, of varying shades, and they've discussed this openly before). can you imagine a billboard for THAT? oh my god the lawsuits....

so to me, the "goodbye weight, hello ME" plays on that kind of discrimination. pushes lots of my buttons for sure. if i come across anti-weight loss, i'm really not. i'm just anti-"homogenization" of what constitutes a real person.

waking up and deconstructing a surgical advertisement is WAY more interesting than the other depressing crap i was thinking about before, however...

Guest Recluse

First, there seems to be a pervasive sense that there's something wrong with anyone who elects to lose weight, rather than accepting a size she finds, unacceptable, for whatever reasons, vanity, health, whatever.

No one is saying that, really. I'm not anti-weight loss, hell, I'm down over 100 lbs from where I was a year ago and still working to lose. I found the billboard obnoxious not because it suggested losing weight, but because of the subtext its creator chose to use.

No one said this either, I don't think they even implied it. However, I do believe firmly that the billboard and things like it definitely play into the painfully fat-phobic trend that has arisen in the last thirty or forty years. Certainly media isn't the only reason that people chose to lose weight, however media does have a very heavy-handed role in making women hate their bodies more than they ought to. You need only look at a copy of Cosmo to see that in effect. There is a difference between encouraging self-hate and encouraging healthy weight loss.

I'm not sure where you took this from. Did anyone say or imply this? What led you to this?

Archived