CrazyBoards.org

Calling all web design junkies

I've decided to bite the bullet and learn how to design a website. It's become a no brainer at this point. I can teach myself and get paid as well. My boss wants me to design one for our video company.

Can anyone recommend an html editing software to use for MAC OS? Dreamweaver? Adobe Creative Suite? Rapidwearver? Amaya?

There are SO many choices now I have no idea where to start. I am not a programmer at heart but have taught myself a myriad of very complicated software programs over the years so I think I could manage on my own.

What most people do now is use a CMS where they design the template on the front end and then input the content through an editor through the back so you have a division between content and design.

With a static web page it's much more difficult for non-technical users to add and edit content.

Wordpress is the most common one but you have to stay on top of security updates.

What most people do now is use a CMS where they design the template on the front end and then input the content through an editor through the back so you have a division between content and design.

With a static web page it's much more difficult for non-technical users to add and edit content.

Wordpress is the most common one but you have to stay on top of security updates.

Thank you VE for answering.

Sorry if I am being dense here. If we already have a hosting site, domain name, etc. and do not need to setup a blog, would I be better off learning how to code with Dreamweaver? I will be the one editing and adding content, mostly videos, photos and text. We are videographers and will not be selling anything directly from the website. Just presenting our best work and quotes from our famous customers. The googling I've done mentions the WYSIWYG programs, which I thought would be easier for my visual & techie OCD mind. If I learn WordPress, will I be able to do both the front-end design and back-end content?

Guest Vapourware

Wordpress is a content management system, so it can be used for any site where you have dynamic content [blogs, company websites, etc].

It comes with back-end and front-end, and you have the ability to upload videos, photos and text using their one-click content uploader. There's lots of freely-available templates you can use for Wordpress or you can design one yourself. If you are wanting to design a front-end template for yourself [which you can], you need to know how to do CSS and HTML. The backend is coded through php and maybe some javascript [iIRC, but I don't really recommend playing with the coding unless you really know what you're doing].

Dreamweaver is a good program to edit and write webpages although IIRC it's more about the frontend CSS and HTML than any backend. Then again, I haven't used Dreamweaver for many years so I might be completely off-base about its abilities now.

Guest Vapourware

If you want to take Wordpress out for a quick spin without installing it onto your server, you can start a free site here: http://wordpress.com/

Also, IIRC you need MySQL and php installed on your server to run Wordpress so if you are interested in using it for your website, just make sure you have those.

If you want to take Wordpress out for a quick spin without installing it onto your server, you can start a free site here: http://wordpress.com/

Also, IIRC you need MySQL and php installed on your server to run Wordpress so if you are interested in using it for your website, just make sure you have those.

Eventually I suppose I'll have to FTP the website design onto an existing server somewhere. I can't remember right now which one they bought space on but my guess is it has MySQL and php installed already. Dreamweaver seems to have come a long way however, wonder if it will have an easier learning curve.

Full Disclosure: I had to google IIRC. At first I thought you were writing about VE's design software. :-}

Can anyone recommend an html editing software to use for MAC OS? Dreamweaver? Adobe Creative Suite? Rapidwearver? Amaya?

I haven't played with amaya since it was a browser being used as a testbed for HTML compliance. One thing in that vein that you'll want to do is to install some of the more popular browsers so you can make sure most of your audience can use the pages. Netscape has a number of tools for checking HTML, CSS, javascript, and so forth, to catch bugs faster. The Firebug plugin is a lifesaver.

Read up on accessibility, as there are some guidelines for that that are actually helpful (and some that are fscking stoopit)

And don't forget that it's the content and the business functions that people are interested in. You only want *just enough* markup and code to get that to them.

For HTML editing, I still use emacs and wordpad, so for editors there isn't much I can recommend.

It's really easy to write really bad html with dreamweaver.

If you really want to go this route, learn HTML, CSS and maybe some Javascript and don't let a program write it for you.

IIRC BBEdit is what you want. It helps you write code, not write code for you.

http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/index.html

Like Null0, I use Emacs for everything but the smallest jobs where I use Kate. You can do damn near anything with it but the learning curve is pretty steep.

I'll put some recommended books in the crazystore so I can get a few cents if you buy any of them.

And don't forget that it's the content and the business functions that people are interested in. You only want *just enough* markup and code to get that to them.

Yes, that's true. I just need a good design, well placed video's and a couple more links to info pages.

It's really easy to write really bad html with dreamweaver.

If you really want to go this route, learn HTML, CSS and maybe some Javascript and don't let a program write it for you.

IIRC BBEdit is what you want. It helps you write code, not write code for you.

http://www.barebones...edit/index.html

Like Null0, I use Emacs for everything but the smallest jobs where I use Kate. You can do damn near anything with it but the learning curve is pretty steep.

I'll put some recommended books in the crazystore so I can get a few cents if you buy any of them.

Ok, I had my coffee. Is this correct?

1. HTML builds the blocks to help me embed objects, videos, images, relationships on the webpage.

2. CSS (style sheet language) will help me do the design.

3. BBEDit is the text editor which will check out my HTML and make sure it all works.

What would I use Kate for?

Books are good. I will buy books. I love books. Where are the books on the Crazystore? I couldn't find them.

Guest Vapourware

1. HTML builds the blocks to help me embed objects, videos, images, relationships on the webpage.

3. BBEDit is the text editor which will check out my HTML and make sure it all works.

Yes, you're on the right track. Think of it as building a house. HTML is the bricks and mortar, CSS does the decoration. Text editors are the builders.

Yes, you're on the right track. Think of it as building a house. HTML is the bricks and mortar, CSS does the decoration. Text editors are the builders.

Thank you Vape. That frustrating feeling of being lost in the woods is common for me being a bi-hemi artist working in a technoid field. Though I usually find my path out I always need a little encouragement.

And thank you VE! I found the books while wandering the back aisles of the crazy store. Now, which one should I buy first......

*rubbing palms together gleefully*

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on my way!! It turns out the current unfinished unused pretty poor website for my company will hopefully be updated pretty soon. I spoke the web designer today that we hired one year ago, to replace the previous site. Nothing has moved forward due to the sluggish snail pace of my boss. But I am determined to get something finished and I have the ok from the boss. This web designer is writing the site from the ground up (yay!). I'll approve some layout, send him some text and photos, just to get the site updated finally. And then he will show me how to keep it going.

And direct from the crazy store, here are my new teachers:

P1170566.jpg

Just hope your existing guy isn't using a CMS or a framework. Static pages are an increasing minority on the web.

The trend is moving away from writing web pages and in the direction of writing programs that write web pages.

I don't think he is using CMS.

What is CMS exactly? :-}

A software system?

I'm not sure you mean by 'writing programs that write web pages'? I thought your recommendation was to code the web pages, not use another program (i.e. dreamweaver) to write the page. So is this another option here? To write a program which would write the web page? Seems over the top for our site, right?

Archived