CrazyBoards.org

Swiss cheese memory sucks!

I've had a couple good cries the past few days, about my MEMORY LOSS. Meds? BP? Years of smoking pot (not anymore)? Aging?

Yesterday my boyfriend got really frustrated and hurt when I didn't remember something he told me a couple weeks ago (an emotional thing, something I would've wanted to remember), and it just tumbled for me into all the things I have trouble remembering now. Sometimes I have a vague sense of something's having happened, but sometimes it's just gone, like a blackout. Friends may relate a whole conversation we had recently and I don't even remember its having taken place. It's been a while since I flaked on an appointment but just because I'm careful now to write any appointment down immediately. I forget faces and may not even recognize a person when I'm reintroduced, and I've learned how to dance around forgetting other people's stories: "Oh, right, THAT! Tell me again, I forget the details."

It's not debilitating, it's not all the time, but it sucks, and it sometimes makes other people feel like they're not important to me. But I'm terrified to mess with my meds - it took 4 LONG years to figure out the right combination and I've been (*relatively*) stable for 9 years since then. Have I had memory problems all this time? Are they getting worse? Did I have a good memory when I was younger? Stupid answer: I don't remember!

I haven't discussed it with my pdoc in a long time. I guess it's time! Maybe my Lith dosage is just too high?

Any other memory loss stories out there? I felt so alone and so broken yesterday, been really weepy today.

My memory is also horrible. I can sympathize. My creativity has gone down, too. I'm a writer and haven't been able to write anything decent in a long time. :/ My meds are in my signature.

i remember to-do list type stuff and faces pretty well, but my recollection of my childhood through my 30's (I'm 42) is terrible. I can also barely remember TV shows, movies and books right after I watch or read them. I've smoked a lot of pot up until recently, but my problems started before I was a heavy user.

I know that my memory got a whole hell of a lot better when I went off lithium. So, yeah, it might be worth getting your level checked, and talking to pdoc about a reduction. I know lamictal created some memory issues when I very first started it, but those have mostly ameliorated over time.

Archived