CrazyBoards.org

Should i Tell PDoc?

Guest Manontherun111

Guest Manontherun111

Ive been suggested a clinical trial medication that is still in its infancy and has no name as of yet. so I cant say what it is. but...

In a few hours I have my first appointment with the head of the research dept/ and i need to try this as it is the only thing left my Pdoc says, Nothing else has had any positive effect, and i have been looking for a decent med for almost a year.

When i first started seeing my Pdoc, I told him that i was not using drugs or alcohol, he had me do a urine test to make sure, and found nothing,

but recently i started using pot and alcohol to take the edge off and settle me down, or to get out of the house with out having an anxiety attack, problem is that I am worried that if i tell them im using, they will reject me from the study and send me back to seroquel and or lamatcal, OFC if i say im not and it has some horrible effect with the new drug then im fucking myself...

bahh what to do... anxiety ripping me appart here,

You cannot, you just cannot enter a clinical trial with a lie about illegal drug use. That is the wrong on so many levels. I am sorry your doctor has not found a good combo for you yet. Have you gotten a second opinion? And I don't mean to be harsh but looking a med for one year.....well sometimes it takes longer. It took me over four years.

YES YES YES BPladybug is absolutely right. You have to tell them about your drug/alcohol use. No ifs ands or buts about it.

And a year is nothing I mean nothing to be searching for that magic med. I have been searching since I was 14. I am 27 now. So yeah...! Not to minimize your suffering. I know how bad and long a bad year can be. Trust me, I really really do. I know how bad and long ten years can be as well though.

Guest Manontherun111

well for clarifacation i went untreated for several years, but that is beside the point.

I will be telling them i guess, but if that prevents me from being accepted it will suck, i was actualy looking forward to it,

any one know if they accept people who are using alcohol or drugs? im guessing they wont.

It took me years to find the right combination of meds, too. There are so many drugs out now, I imagine there are more that are worth your trying, and maybe this experimental med wouldn't be the answer for you, anyway. What are the chances?

I really can't imagine that in a year of meds, you've exhausted all the possibilities. If that's what your pdoc is telling you, it's time for a second opinion.

As far as the trial, you absolutely cannot lie to them about your drug/alcohol use. It's irresponsible, unethical, and potentially dangerous. I'd guess they won't be all that concerned about alcohol, but might have issues with other drugs.

If your pdoc is saying that within one year you've tried everything, you need to get a new pdoc. There are too many meds and adequate trialing requires different dosing and then there are combinations and then there are the less often prescribed... no way you have tried everything in a way that you could really evaluate.

You have to tell about the pot and alcohol for the study. Aside from screwing the results for the rest of us, they will probably bust your for it anyway.

I agree with what everybody else is saying. If your pdoc is saying that you've exhausted all possibilities, it's time to get a new one. There are so many meds out there for you, and in a year of trying, I don't think you can possibly try them all. It took me a few years to get a good cocktail going. Besides, weed and alcohol never helped me, they just made the problems worse. I'll spare you the preaching about self-medication.

The fact is is that it can seriously mess you up when you take meds, that's what the warnings on the labels are about, and I'm not sure about the experimental drug, but if they're not sure about all the side-effects, chances are you're bound to run into some nasty ones if you're drinking. That's just my logic. So, yes, if I were you, I'd tell my pdoc.

Guest Manontherun111

Thinking a lot more clearly now that the stress of the appointment is gone, and honestly i dont even know why i was thinking about hiding my use of drugs,

oh well, i find out if i get accepted when the lab results come back,

Archived