CrazyBoards.org

Insomnia - not fun

Last night I took my evening klonopin at bedtime along with the increased traz along with two benedryl. Took me over three hours to fall asleep and I slept for about five hours. You had better believe I'm placing a call into the pdocs office. I was really hoping for a sleep study but we really can't afford the extra expense right now. Insurance won't play nice. Thing is I really can't afford another med If that is what he suggests either. Sorry for rambling but I'm just bored. Hope everyone else is in dreamland.

I'm sorry your having trouble sleeping. I think this is a big piece of being able to function. I don't know if this helps or sounds more depressing but

I had to try three different drugs to get to sleep. I ended up with Ambien CR which for me DOES work. *Thank God! I was really having problems and laying awake all night wasn't helping.

BTW getting a sleep study sounds like a great idea! If you have any form of sleep apnia? Well a BPAP/APAP/CPAP or whatever might not be helping you sleep but may be a big plus for things like your heart. Push your GP to refer you asap and good luck!

Thanks crazycatlover!!!! That's horrible how little sleep you've gotten!!! Ugh. "oh mr sandman, bring us a dream...!" lol

BTW getting a sleep study sounds like a great idea! If you have any form of sleep apnia? Well a BPAP/APAP/CPAP or whatever might not be helping you sleep but may be a big plus for things like your heart. Push your GP to refer you asap and good luck!

Thanks crazycatlover!!!! That's horrible how little sleep you've gotten!!! Ugh. "oh mr sandman, bring us a dream...!" lol

Yupp, sleep studies also diagnose some other things. i think there is about 90 different sleep disorders, and I was surprised to even hear that.

For me certain combos of meds i took, aggravated my RLS, which made it hard to get to sleep, but i would stay asleep. i rather be restless during the day than night though.

Sounds wonderful. But I just got a $35,000 psych ward bill in the mail. Ugh. Looks like that won't be happening. My pdoc raised my traz to 200mg. Only after I called his nurse bawling about how I couldn't go on like this. Yup. Don't do well with the insomnia and tiredness. Ugh.

Well I really think it's the Latuda that is causing this insomnia. Or else saphris helped me sleep so well that I've forgotten what its like without a truly sedating AAP.

200mg of traz and 1mg of klonopin and it's still taking me hours to fall asleep and I don't stay asleep either. Like I just slept for four hours. Better than nothing I guess.

I don't w ant to call my pdocs nurse again and sound like I'm whining. Nobody really takes my problems seriously anyways so what's the point?

Thanks for letting me vent.

~ a very exhausted llama

A sleep study might be a good idea, so long as you understand the limitations of the results.

Typically, a study will say, yes you have sleep apnoea. The only treatments available are medication and/or wearing an oxygen mask at night.

My pdoc explained this to me a few weeks ago. Apparently the oxygen masks can work wonders.

Of course, sleep apnoea may not be your problem at all.

A sleep study might be a good idea, so long as you understand the limitations of the results.

Typically, a study will say, yes you have sleep apnoea. The only treatments available are medication and/or wearing an oxygen mask at night.

My pdoc explained this to me a few weeks ago. Apparently the oxygen masks can work wonders.

is CPAP the same as an oxygen mask?

• 2 weeks later...

No CPAP, APAP, BPAP are not Oxy masks. The "Paps" are just pressure type systems. They time air into you so you breath even if you try to stop breathing. Having regular air go in and out is apparently a good thing health wise (duh!) Anyway I've second hand experience and part of it is that people with this type of problem are getting very little real REM type sleep and this is NOT good. Once they get on a CPAP (A, B whatever) they have a lot of improvements to their health. Plus it dials down the snoring all night THANK GOD!!!

I paid my entire deductible for a sleep study that told me I didn't have sleep apnea and my GP at the time who read the results said I would probably never sleep without meds :cussing:

For what it's worth, it took me hours to fall asleep on trazodone as well and anything higher than 100mgs gave me awful restless legs. My current bout with insomnia is being caused by my stupid thyroid

Yeah, especially if you are on heavily sedating medication, heavy sedatives tend to depress the respiratory drive causing havoc, which is why they rarely prescribe sleep aids like ambien for people with sleep apnea, my dad even asked his doctor about a sleep aid, and she told him to just try benadryl or melatonin since he has sleep apnea.

About teh oxygen masks, how do u get an oxygen mask? like im not saying i need one now, becuz im young, but i seem to have trouble breathing, especially at night, I already have EIA(exercise induced asthma):, and thought it would be helpful. i don't have sleep apnea as i took a sleep study, and i also do not snore. I know i see old people walking around with them, so it would be strange to have one. but if it was just in my bedroom it wouldnt be that awkward.

Yeah, especially if you are on heavily sedating medication, heavy sedatives tend to depress the respiratory drive causing havoc, which is why they rarely prescribe sleep aids like ambien for people with sleep apnea, my dad even asked his doctor about a sleep aid, and she told him to just try benadryl or melatonin since he has sleep apnea.

Unless you are talking about barbituates my sleep apnea doc said it was a falsehood that sleeping meds (Lunesta, Ambien) depress respiratory drive.

nf

how about klonopin?

it's never happened to me btw, unless i was taking, seroquel in a higher dosage then what i take now(trilafon), followed by taking 1.5 klonopin at night. then i would need just a puff of my inhaler before going to bed.

clozaril does have a warning on the front about it, about taking benzos with it. but i really don't see the harm. I think sometimes i just panic, or think about it too much, which just makes it worse.

About teh oxygen masks, how do u get an oxygen mask? like im not saying i need one now, becuz im young, but i seem to have trouble breathing, especially at night, I already have EIA(exercise induced asthma):, and thought it would be helpful. i don't have sleep apnea as i took a sleep study, and i also do not snore. I know i see old people walking around with them, so it would be strange to have one. but if it was just in my bedroom it wouldnt be that awkward.

Blart, can you back up your sweeping statement about sedating medication depressing the respiratory, "drive," and thereby causing havoc?

If you think you need supplemental oxygen, you should discuss it with your gp, or whatever doctor treats your asthma.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_BivDTQ3k40

2:00 minutes in, a psychiatrist

ambien and lunesta are selectively weaker, in terms of CNS depressants than other non-hypnotic anxiolytic benzos like ativan and klonopin.

i mean heath ledger died of this. with selective other drugs. opiates, antihistamines, and benzos. All CNS depressants, all marked in drug-drug interactions, not trying to sensationalize his death, but it can happen, especially when u throw opiates in the mix.

Archived