CrazyBoards.org

Differences among Lamictal generics

Hi all,

I'm still trying to figure out why my generic Lamictal (lamotrigine) stopped working, and I am wondering if anyone has noted whether one generic worked better than another. I'm currently taking Torrent lamotrigine, and I'm not sure if it is the same as I was taking before. Thanks!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I remembered the name, but I had a crappy one that did not work at all. I didn't sleep for 3 days because it was a long weekend. I'm back on brand now. Mine was manufactured in India, and I think the huge company starts with an M.

I wish I remembered the name, but I had a crappy one that did not work at all. I didn't sleep for 3 days because it was a long weekend. I'm back on brand now. Mine was manufactured in India, and I think the huge company starts with an M.

Pretty sure that's Meyer.

Could it be Mylan? I don't even know if they make a generic Lamictal, but they seem to make a generic everything else.

I take the Teva kind as well and I switched to that right from brand name. Never really noticed a difference. I've never taken another generic brand before, though.

Could it be Mylan? I don't even know if they make a generic Lamictal, but they seem to make a generic everything else.

I take the Teva kind as well and I switched to that right from brand name. Never really noticed a difference. I've never taken another generic brand before, though.

I think Mylan is what I was taking before or some M company. I guess my drugstore had only this Torrent in stock this time. Torrent. I've never heard of that company before.

I think Mylan is what I was taking before or some M company. I guess my drugstore had only this Torrent in stock this time. Torrent. I've never heard of that company before.

There's is a Mylan based in the US, but it's Meyer that comes from India.

http://www.meyer.co.in/

I'm pretty sure it was Mylan. I don't ever recall taking a Meyer drug. Plus, I just called CVS, and they sell 60 tablets of 200 mg Mylan brand for $25 and some change.

Cetkat, It was Mylan. If you do some more research, you will find it is manuf. in India. It wasn't Meyer.

Bottom line is don't take the one made by Mylan. All it did for me was keep me awake and keep me very anxious with rapid heartbeat, etc. The real Lamictal does quite the opposite for me.. it calms me down and helps me sleep. Taking that generic was downright scary.

I'm pretty sure it was Mylan. I don't ever recall taking a Meyer drug. Plus, I just called CVS, and they sell 60 tablets of 200 mg Mylan brand for $25 and some change.

Cetkat, It was Mylan. If you do some more research, you will find it is manuf. in India. It wasn't Meyer.

Ok. Anyway.. I hope you can get one that works better. Check Walgreens. ;)

Has anyone been on Torrent brand lamotrigine? I would like to know if it is as bad as I think it is.

liveoak, I was thinking of switching to another pharmacy to try Mylan lamotrigine. Could you give a little more detail on your experience? Did the Mylan brand work at all for you? It's just that I have heard of Mylan but never heard of Torrent before now. Torrent is also made in India. There's no way I can afford the brand name Lamictal because I pay out-of-pocket. Even Teva I cannot afford. The difference in price between Torrent and Mylan vs. Teva is like $100 per month.

Can't y'all request a specific generic manufacturer from the pharmacy? My pharmacy orders Teva specifically for me.

Maybe, but what I am trying to sort out is if Torrent brand is better, worse or run-of-the-mill for generics. Also, now I am questioning Mylan brand because of what liveoak has said.

I haven't ever taken brand Lamictal. I've taken both the Apotex and the Sandoz generic. Pretty sure they are exactly the same. It only costs two or three dollars more for the brand but I've never noticed a difference regarding brand vs generic and I take four meds so I dont want to waste money for pretty boxes.

I took Mylan and didn't have any problems with it. *shrug* YMWV.

I just got switched to Zydus today. I was a bit ticked as I don't think now is a good time to be swapping around generics, but not a lot I can do about it at this point.

I seem to be a minority, but I don't do too well on Teva lamotrigine. It makes me hypomanic which ultimately leads to a crash bout of depression. It also makes me run about 5 pounds over my normal weight. Brand Lamictal had the delicious side effect of acting as an appetite suppressant for me.

I have also tried Taro brand which works fine as mood stabilizer for me but I feel consistently stoned on it. On the plus side it too acts as an appetite suppressant for me. Unfortunately, I'm a biochemistry major so feeling like someone has poured cement in my brain is not an option.

My pharmacy is open to ordering my meds from any manufacturer. I was thinking to try the Apotex version next. Can anyone describe any side effects they've felt on this generic and rate how well it acted as a mood stabilizer for them?

I called around to several (actually many) pharmacies. Lamotrigine is either really cheap or really expensive; there is no middle ground. So it's either around $30 for Mylan or Torrent generics or $150 - $300 for Teva, Taro, and Dr. Reddy's. The brand Lamictal is around $400. Since I am paying out-of-pocket, I am forced to go with the Mylan or Torrent brands. The problem is, since I got Torrent this last time, my mood really collapsed. I am tempted to lay out about $175 for one month to get the Teva brand just to know what it is like.

I buy all my medications at Costco because I don't have health insurance right now. Generic Lamictal there is around $15 bucks. Last month it was Teva and it was a blue diamond shaped pill and it seemed good quality. This month (I just picked it up) is Zydus (While round scored pills) and I just started taking it and I don't know I take so many medications so it's hard to tell but I miss the cool shape of the Teva pills...I'll report back once I've taken them for a few days

Thanks ventuckyspaz. I look forward to your report.

UPDATE: I have proof that they switched generics on me. Last month on the label is written "CADIS." This month it's "TORR." I know for a fact that this month it is Torrent because they gave me this in the original bottle of 60. So I can now see how they code the manufacturer on their printed labels.

DO NOT TAKE TORRENT LAMOTRIGINE!!! It's like taking NO medicine at all. F them, I lost a month of treatment because of this. I knew something wasn't right 2 days after I started this Torrent crap. I was right, and it was not all in my imagination. Torrent must be the bottom of the barrel for lamotrigine, the worst of the worst.

I just found out about this, and I'm still ticked off so please bear with me while I vent.

I don't understand why the FDA allows these horrible drugs into the United States. I'd like to think that any drug that I get in America (that I didn't order online) is good and safe to take. This is not true. They won't let us bring meds into the US from abroad (not even from Canada) because they say that the quality may not be as good. C'mon, you've got to be kidding me. The only reason we can't bring drugs into the US is to protect big pharma. The FDA is in bed with big pharma, and they don't care about the quality of the generics that come into this country. I am really disillusioned. I can't believe this.

Archived