CrazyBoards.org

Benadryl

did you have a question or is that just a comment..did you want a response?

I do know a lot of folks use it for sleep and allergies

if it is ok with your doctor and you are doing well with it ..do you think it is a problem?

Just commenting. I don't think the drug is causing my nightmares. It usually works to put me to sleep but doesn't keep me asleep. My doctor prescribed it as my sleep aid, maybe something else would be better?

Hi Disorderly!

Since you said this thread really is just a comment, I thought I would explain a little about how Crazyboards works. The boards primarily are for questions and people seeking input on something. We have blogs specifically for people to express themselves, comment and make observations, and basically write whatever they feel like. Blogs can be set to private or left public for others to comment. If you do not know how to set up a blog, feel free to PM a moderator or an admin for some help.

yah lol, stacia i was hoping he woudl ask something in the form of a question, instead of saying "benadryl-i take it for sleep." no offence

benadryl is an anti-histamine.

I did, I asked if something else would be better? I'm looking for opinions on other sleep aids.

yah lol, stacia i was hoping he woudl ask something in the form of a question, instead of saying "benadryl-i take it for sleep." no offence

I did, I asked if something else would be better? I'm looking for opinions on other sleep aids.

personally i think benadryl sucks! There are much better drugs but you would need a prescription-suggest you talk to your doc.

I have to take Benadryl every night else I cannot fall asleep. I have dreams and nightmares waking me up at all hours.

There are some for plain insomnia, trouble sleeping. The ones you can talk to your doctor about are:

trazodone(used for SAD, insomnia)

hydroxyzine(vistaril)

ambien

lunesta

herbal:

melatonin

I'm sure there are others, others can name.

other ones that are used for other conditions that help sleep:

elavil(amitryptyline)

seroquel

gabapentin

lyrica

Yes, you did. I missed after you said you were just commenting.

I have to take Benadryl every night else I cannot fall asleep. I have dreams and nightmares waking me up at all hours.

There are some for plain insomnia, trouble sleeping. The ones you can talk to your doctor about are:

trazodone(used for SAD, insomnia)

hydroxyzine(vistaril)

ambien

lunesta

herbal:

melatonin

I'm sure there are others, others can name.

other ones that are used for other conditions that help sleep:

elavil(amitryptyline)

seroquel

gabapentin

lyrica

This is a fair list to talk to your pdoc about. If, however, 50mg of benedryl works for you, I would stick with that.

Be aware that Benadryl can lose effect when taken repeatedly. For me, about 3 nights is the most it really helps me. Then I have to take a break for a several days. To be honest it over-dries my sinus and body, so I really can't tolerate more than occasional use.

**Be sure that you are not taking combination drugs that include Tylenol, e.g. Tylenol PM. Tylenol can be toxic to the liver, and increasing research shows that even routine use at normal dosages can have long term effects.

Has anyone here tried melatonin? Does it work good?

I've heard that melatonin supplements work best when taken on a consistent schedule, timed for going to bed at a regular hour. I don't know how much of that is dependent on how melatonin works and how much is just good sleep habits. The last time I took melatonin myself, I was on a MAOI and that's just not a good combination.

Valerian root is also traditionally used as a sleep aid for insomnia.

I have some Valerian root and it just seems to work for one night's sleep. Like it's only good once a week for me or so. I am going to ask my pdoc about some of the ones you mentioned. The Benadryl works but not always. Like one of you had mentioned earlier in the thread that you could build a tolerance to it. I think I might of done that as it doesn't seem to be working as good as it use to. I would like to try one with little to no side effects. So if you happen to know which one that is, let me know and I will ask my pdoc about trying it out.

Archived