CrazyBoards.org

That's probably not the healthiest thing to do. Does your pdoc know?

What do you think would help you feel good that doesn't involve substances? Has there ever been anything in the past that you've found helpful?

No my pdoc doesn't know. I'm not sure what else would make me feel good. I have a lot of problems and a buzz seems to be the only thing that lets me chill out and forget the problems. It clears my mind and I don't dwell in suicidal self loathing and paranoia all day while buzzed.

Beer is a depressant and that can interact with your antipsychotic, I would talk to your pdoc about it and stop drinking, you might think it's only a buzz but it can be interferring with your AP's effiency. As a depressant it only makes sense that it will depress you.

It doesn't depress me though, it's one of the few things that makes life bearable. I hate everything about my self and alcohol helps me temporarily forget this.

Yeah I can relate-alchohol can make it all seem so good. It is a very powerful euphoric for some. Personally I try to keep it to one or two as an absolute max. You did not say how much beer you drank-a buzz for an average sized guy generally means at least 3 or 4 and that along with the meds might not be a good thing.

Look, drinking in moderation is not a problem. Your body and mind build tolerance to alcohol fairly quickly, even if you are on medication.

I agree you should share this with your dr.

Moderation means up to 2-4 standard drinks per day for a male and 1-2 for a female, with 1-2 days off per week. Thats right, up to 24 standard drinks for a guy and 12 for a girl per week. Some studies recommend less.

I personally love beer; it relaxes me and it tastes great. It sounds like you already are aware of the pitfalls of drinking too much.

Zealots will say that you shouldnt drink at all. You need to find a balance for yourself. I doubt your dr would say do not drink at all. Moderation is the key. Some studies show that drinking in moderation is good for the heart (and soul).

Yes alcohol is a depressant. It depresses the central nervous system. This is totally different to psychological depression. In other words alcohol doesnt make you depressed, so long as you are in control.

Check out this link for more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recommended_maximum_intake_of_alcoholic_beverages

I appreciate the post chimpmaster, I was under the impression alcohol HAD a depressant effect on people's psychological outlook as well, I definitley appreciate that it's not the case. Glad to hear it actually because I drink like 3-4 times a year. Thanks for the thoughtful reply! :)

Look, drinking in moderation is not a problem. Your body and mind build tolerance to alcohol fairly quickly, even if you are on medication.

Moderation means up to 2-4 standard drinks per day for a male and 1-2 for a female, with 1-2 days off per week. Thats right, up to 24 standard drinks for a guy and 12 for a girl per week. Some studies recommend less.

I personally love beer; it relaxes me and it tastes great. It sounds like you already are aware of the pitfalls of drinking too much.

Zealots will say that you shouldnt drink at all. You need to find a balance for yourself. I doubt your dr would say do not drink at all. Moderation is the key. Some studies show that drinking in moderation is good for the heart (and soul).

Yes alcohol is a depressant. It depresses the central nervous system. This is totally different to psychological depression. In other words alcohol doesnt make you depressed, so long as you are in control.

http://en.wikipedia....holic_beverages

I have been trying to keep it down to a 12 pack a week but for a few months there I was drinking VERY heavily. I gained a lot of weight in a short period of time doing that so I don't plan on continuing.

I have been trying to keep it down to a 12 pack a week but for a few months there I was drinking VERY heavily. I gained a lot of weight in a short period of time doing that so I don't plan on continuing.

Going with Chimpmaster's guidelines, whether you're male or female, the amount you're drinking in and of itself doesn't sound problematic. But the role alcohol plays in your life sounds like it might be. Really do talk to your pdoc about it, because odds are a med tweak could help a lot with the symptoms you seem to be currently trying to manage with alcohol. Don't assume he or she is going to have some super negative response. His or her job is to help you make positive changes, not to judge or criticize you for things you do. My pdoc knows I drink, and as long as I'm generally stable, she doesn't really care.

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like you're one of the ones that doesn't seem to take things to excess. Me, I know, I have an addictive personality. It seems like you know how to watch yourself, but regardless, like SashaSue said, the role it seems to play in your life seems not all that great. I would bring it up with a good tdoc, once you find one. A lot of people use substances to escape. That's what I did with marijuana, I used it to forget. Not the same as alcohol, but I didn't use it to enhance my life in any way shape or form, and to me, based on your posts, it seems like that's what you're doing. Using it to forget why you feel the way you do. I'm not an expert on this, but I know what I did. I think you should probably talk to somebody, get all your feelings out like you're doing with us. Tell them why you drink like you do. That'll help.

• 1 month later...

I've always heard alcohol in moderation is a nice mood lifter.

But be careful not to drink too much because for some people it seems to make depression even worse than it already is....

Ever since I start medication I stopped drinking and doing any substances.

I think this is just echoing the above sentiments, but a beer or two a day isn't going to hurt you (besides giving you a miniscule increased risk for liver cancer, but as per my GP, fructose and diabetes can do the same thing). In fact, the blood-thinning effects of alcohol may slightly offset aforementioned risks, though I'm not a doctor (just a lapsed molecular biologist) and you should definitely ask your pdoc and GP's opinions on this matter.

You do need to watch your weight, esp. on the APs. Fatty liver is not something you want. Perhaps you can increase your level of physical exercise to compensate, if alcohol will indeed lift your mood. To be honest, I do drink when I shouldn't (I'm on clonidine and clonazepam, both of which are no-nos with respect to alcohol), but it's only a couple drinks at a time.

which ap are you taking? That can make a difference.

Regardless, I'd discuss it with pdoc to ensure that what you are drinking and amounts are safe.... also if you aren't getting good sx control for your depression there are better options than beer out there, given the weight issue. You might try some other alternatives. For many, drinking can be a substitute for dealing with the depression, and it sounds that way to me.

Also a good tdoc could help you with coping skills, and the depression, etc.

Anna

This is so interesting because drinking severely exacerbates my depression and anxiety the next day (not during - unless I over do it - in which case, I may become a crying pile on the floor). Even when sticking to guidelines (just a couple beers or whatever). I'm at a loss then, of why this would occur... :unsure:

Not to derail the thread...

Archived