CrazyBoards.org

Got a Dog? Does it Help?

We've always had dogs. As far back as I can remember my family had them, I'm told so did my ex-husband's family. My sons didn't miss out either. 4 years ago our beloved dalmation passed away peacefully at 14yo, and our sweetheart of a black lab is getting up there too. She lives with the ex so we don't get to see her anymore except on video chats, she's not moving around very well, poor dear.

Point being, when we were with our dogs all the time it seems like we just felt better. The dogs, especially our black lab, seemed to know before I did when things weren't right and would hang closer to me, nudge me into a chair, or bark to get my attention if I was just way out of it. She would stay very close to me, and our dallie would stay close to the boys just playing and being super affectionate. Seemed like I shook things off faster with her around. She was like this little watchdog, but in a different way. Then we'd all go play and do our walks like nothing every happened. Both dogs seemed to know exactly what was needed, nobody taught them that, they just knew.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? Sure would like to know if this was a fluke or if it's pretty common for dogs to do this. We're seriously considering adopting again, we've been ready for a long time. It will be so awesome to have a furry family member again! Just don't want my son to have that expectation of "super dog to the rescue!" Because he's been researching different breeds for months and says that black labs are great for people with BP ; says that's why our lab connected with me. Oh boy.

Anyway... experiences to share? Anyone?

For both me and my similarly mentally flavoured friend, the dogs know when we're really down. I think they'd hug us if they could, with they way they watch over us and snuggle differently in those circumstances, I don't know if they can "sense" something's wrong because we smell different, or if it's simply because we're both animals that similarly tacitly communicate by moving our eyebrows and they pick up on it that way. Probably both.

I wish I could have a dog....the one that lived with me (wasnt mine) recently passed. I liked her because she was very quiet and pretty naturally sedated, but still personable. Barking dogs and other loud noises send me to a bad place pretty fast. :\

Pets are nice too, cause they aren't judging you. They just know something's wrong and they want you to feel better.

We humans sure did a good job of breeding out negative traits in dogs, lol.

I think pets in general are great for people with MI. We have several just because I love animals, but my favorites are the cats and the (pet) rats. They are so social and loving. It doesn't matter what time of day, they always love to come out and sit on your shoulder. :)

I would love to have a Lab because the one I met at my friend's house when I went to stay with him after I got out of the hospital one time was just amazing. She seemed to know that I was not feeling well and she was not either - she had caught a virus at the kennel. Even with that she would come in the bedroom and check on me during the day - nuzzle me until I looked up and confirmed she was there. There were also other things - just the way she would follow me back and forth and keep a watch on me that let me know that I had a buddy.

My dog is very in tune with my moods and feelings, I don't think that would be a fluke at all, I think it's actually pretty common for pets to know what's going on. I think adopting a dog is a great idea, I know mine has been very helpful to me when I'm feeling down or depressed. It's like a friend that's always there for you who doesn't judge you for anything you've done or will do.

I would go with a rescue and a dog that has been fostered a while. Labs are high energy. When I took Lucy from my mom's back yard and took her to the vet, I found out she had both a food AND a flea allergy, so if she has a reaction to something, it's fairly expensive at the vet. Also, I made a thread about having to pay for a behaviorist for my smaller dog. I had gotten him from a rescue, and he had only been with them 1 day before he was bought to adoption day, so they knew nothing about his temperament, vet records, or how he was with cats. I gave them a post dated check and they told me to keep him for a week to see how he did with my cats. He did fine with the cats and bonded with me instantly as soon as I got him home and I told them to cash the check the next day. The separation anxiety and destructive behavior showed up after about 2 weeks.

I love him to death and he IS in tune with my feelings. He never left my side when I took too much seroquel, but he also has some serious behavioral issues that I need sorted out

Thanks for all the replies! I am considering a rescue or a shelter. We've had big very energetic dogs before, so are well prepared for the training. Our darling aging lab now was a rescue who's only problem was her love of squirrels. She simply could not resist racing after them. It took a good two months to convince her that was just not worth her time, they are too wiley and trees are easy to get stuck in, lol! It took a lot of love, coming back in the house/going back out, turning back on walks/going forward, and oh my goodness a lot of chicken treats to break the habit - but we did it!

Yes, we're getting ready to move when school gets out. I figure it will take us that long to get ready, what's that...approximately 3 months? We've decided where we're going now. There are lots of safe places to go get plenty of exercise for a lab. That's going to be really good for us too, no doubt about it. There's even a lake for him or her to go crazy in :) Labs sure do love their water, hehe!

Things I can say that are good is that my son has really done a lot of research and planning. He's already planning out a schedule for a routine such as feeding, exercise, grooming, training, ect. He wants to know how much basic vet visits cost and I told him that would depend on the vet we go to, so his plan is to call one from there! You don't think he's determined or something do ya?

Just thinking about it has been giving me a positive break from other things that aren't so great right now. There really must be something to it.

S.A.M.

Archived