CrazyBoards.org

Has anyone tried Intuniv for cognitive dysfunction? My pdoc described it for a tic & I noticed immediately after going up to 2 mg that I was a little closer to intelligent like I used to be.

Then my sons peds dr added it to his adderall for impulsivity & again immediately after going up to 2 mg I noticed his vocab was much greater than usual. He also noticed feeling "smarter".

I just read that guanfacine (brand name Intuniv) is in clinical trials to be approved for treatment of schiz cognitive deficiencies. I def think it should be because it seems to work. So I'm wondering if anyone else had the same experience.

This is very interesting. Do you know if there is a generic out there? Probably not.

Yes, Guanfacine (Tenex) is actually an old blood pressure medicine. Intuniv is just a 24 hour form. From drugbank.ca, Guanfacine is a phenylacetyl-guanidine derivative hypotensive and a centrally-acting, alpha(2)-adrenergic receptor agonist used alone or in combination with other drugs for the treatment of hypertension. It's half life is 17 hours., and it is only $1.00 a pill. As opposed to 5-6$ for Intuniv.

I think it's really interesting how this drug treats ADHD, tics, anxiety (helped with that too), HBP and cognitive deficits. I hope the FDA will approve it. I really want to go up on mine, but my pdoc will only change one thing at a time, and right now this isn't at the top of the list.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually suggested it to my pdoc after reading this post and we decided to give it a go. I must say that I have noticed a marked difference in my thinking and most of my paranoia is gone as of day 2. That was unexpected but hey I'm not complaining by any means. Of course I will continue to journal and next week I switch to 2 mg which I'm pretty excited about.

Archived