CrazyBoards.org

xanax addiction?

I think my mother may be addicted to Xanax.

She has been on the medication for the past 6 years, and she refuses to seek therapy for her Panic Disorder/GAD and would rather 'pop xanax' and she feels it's the only thing that helps her panic. i know it does the job, but I also know that xanax isn't the type of medication to be put on for long term use, because of it's addiction that can happen and now I (and my aunt and grandmother) believe she is addicted. Though, she never takes more then the recommended dose. I've tried talking to her and she refuses to try any kind of therapy except medication. She tried psychotherapy 12 months ago but the Psychologist wanted to put my mother into a rehabilitation program because of the xanax so my mother never returned.

I don't know whether she would be considered an addict, and should go through some rehab program, or just leave it as it is. I don't know much about xanax addiciton, only that it is a big problem.

How much xanax is she taking?

She's prescribed 2 2mg a day when needed, and she could take between a quarter to two full tablets a day.

That is a fair whack. THe biggest problem is that tolerance to xanax builds up really quickly. You can end up on roller coaster ride due to the short half life of xanax. In other words, the xanax gradually becomes less effective, and you suffer mini withdrawals from it each time you take it. With repeated dosing it can last as little as 2 hrs.

For a longer term solution, your mum should be looking at SSRI anti-depressants, and maybe a longer acting benzodiazepine such as valium or klonopin.

How much xanax is she taking?

She's prescribed 2 2mg a day when needed, and she could take between a quarter to two full tablets a day.

That is a fair whack. THe biggest problem is that tolerance to xanax builds up really quickly. You can end up on roller coaster ride due to the short half life of xanax. In other words, the xanax gradually becomes less effective, and you suffer mini withdrawals from it each time you take it. With repeated dosing it can last as little as 2 hrs.

For a longer term solution, your mum should be looking at SSRI anti-depressants, and maybe a longer acting benzodiazepine such as valium or klonopin.

Yep, that's basically happened to her. She also takes Effexor 150m aswell just like I do but i'm unsure if whether that is a good mix. She's become so dependent on it that she refuses to go off it, and won't even try another type of medication that does a similar job.

Archived