CrazyBoards.org

Has someone ever suspected that you have BP

About three years ago, I cohabited with a man of mediocre intelligence but sufficient curiosity. He was 27 and I was 19, so all of the mundane aspects of his life (travel, full time job, taste in music, and his own trip to the loony bin) impressed the hell out of me. Then I turned 20 and, upon realizing how silly he was, knew that I was trapped in a relationship I didn't want. It didn't help that I was crashing towards my own mental breakdown. We were at a loss as to what was wrong with me, and why I had to bash my head against the shower wall to calm myself down, and had states of agitation so severe I had to pace around our crappy apartment like a demented tiger. I dealt with it by being a condescending brat.

One day, while waiting to see his Pdoc, he came across an article about Bipolar Disorder. There was a helpful list of symptoms for BP1 and BP2 each. He came home elated:

"The article described you perfectly. Reading each symptom for BP2, I thought, 'that's her.'"

"Interesting." I went back to eating my brussels sprouts. I dismissed it, because there was no way he could figure something out before I did. Moron.

I didn't think about it for a while, until it turned out that he was right. Well, damn.

How about you guys?

It was three years ago. I was on a committee and we had a series of meetings. It was also spring and I was growing increasingly hypomanic. He was a doctor and he figured it out. I was not as insightful then, ultimately I melted down in a torrent of emails and agitation. sigh I see him sometimes at fundraising events for the charity. He is always very nice. I try to stay on top of my mood symptoms better now and nip it in the bud to prevent further embarrassment and damage to my reputation. I still volunteer for the charity but I know there are a few insiders who are undoubtedly aware of my condition.

Guest Vapourware

I used to correspond with someone who was BP 2 and we were having a chat on MSN when he asked me how I was going with my Honours thesis. I told him about my work habits and said that sometimes I would have a lot of energy to work and other times I would have no energy, so I would just wait for the energetic moments to hit and ride them out. He then asked me if I'd ever been assessed for bipolar because I sounded a lot like him. At the time I laughed it off because I couldn't imagine myself being bipolar, but in hindsight, guess he had a point there considering my current dx.

Years ago someone told me I should talk to "someone" because I was crying all the time. I didn't take it seriously. I had a friend of my boyfriend at the time tell him I was "psycho" but I thought it was just an expression.

pretty much everyone can tell with in a week of knowing me. my mood is "better" but never stable my swings are still there but not severe like they were. I still rapid cycle so people can tell pretty quickly. Even the not so intellegent folks can probably tell and I have had quite a few people at work come out and ask me if I was

Nope. Just a case of "there's something not quite right with that girl" and "What ever drugs you're on, I want some of them"

The drug was me. Hello, hypomania...

People blamed it on my intolerably evil home life. They seemed to be of the opinion of if I *was* crazy, it's 'cause those assholes made me that way, not because I had an actual illness.

I was also incredibly private and wary of the nefarious intentions of others, so I probably didn't let on nearly the amount of what was going on inside. I have an insane (no pun intended) amount of self-control when the alternative is shame, derision, and violence, so I kept most of it in.

Self-control when it comes to everything else in life? Not so much...

Ahhhhh, to count the times I was referred to as a "spazz" in my younger years and the comment "whatever you're on, i want some" later in my days to current.

Very good point that I had not pondered much, until now..... Bwahahahahahaha....

:ninja:

One time during one of my 3-4 day benders that included a few illegal substances my enabling friend and I looked at each other and concluded if we saw a shrink they'd both say we're bipolar. Interestingly at the time I had myself totally convinced of his MI issues that this must be true for him. The future came to hold I was the lucky one and he moved on or at least found a way enough to deal with it to be able to relocate to New Orleans on a bachelor's degree. Lucky bastard. I wish I got some of that good mojo but alas c'est la vie.

Always thought I had ADHD too. My high school English teacher is the one that asked me if I was bipolar, as he noticed that some days I'd come in all made up and some days I'd throw some clothes on and drag myself in.

Yep. Bipolar brother of a friend. When he met me he knew within a few hours. Nope, she didn't tell him, because back then we didn't know. He outright asked me what meds I was on because they weren't working and I should get them changed! I felt like I'd been slapped or something. I didn't know he was bipolar either until much later, which made me feel really bad about that whole misunderstanding. Haven't seen him since and I rarely talk to her anymore because she is a "know it all caretaker" kind of person. Kind of hard to be around. But dang, it's something that we can recognize MI traits in others later down the road on our own journey isn't it?

I wish I could help someone before they get lost like I did, but when we are first getting lost, it's so hard to accept that we even need help.

Archived