CrazyBoards.org

With out the med I sleep maybe 5 hours a night.

I started 60mgs Geodon last Tuesday and since then I've been sleeping like the dead for about 11 to 14 hours a night.

Last night I slept 12 hours and missed 3 alarms. All my meds were hours late.

Is this going to let up?

Otherwise this med is just not working for me.

Guest Vapourware

When I was on ziprasidone, I found that the sedation got better the longer I took it. It took maybe a few months for it to start to improve. I agree that it can be a pretty sedating drug, especially at the lower dosages.

Geodon knocked me out like a light and it never let up the whole time I was on it, either. I was on 80mg a day and it was probably way too much for me, but I was on it for close to a year and it never got better. Your medication and side effect tolerance might be better than mine, though, so I would give it a fair chance and see if it does get any better with time, but if it doesn't, it's definitely something to discuss with your pdoc.

It looks like you've only been on it for a couple of weeks. Generally speaking, you should give the drug 4-6 weeks to see if any side effects go away before you decide to switch. I wouldn't be surprised either way, honestly.

I stopped taking it because it's just too powerful of a sedative. I'm going to be starting school so I really don't have 4 to 6 weeks to wait. I need to wake up from my alarms right now.

FWIW, the recommended starting dose for Schizophrenia is 20 mgs twice daily according to rxlist so you were on a pretty high dose. You might want to see about starting on a lower dose and working your way up. That's sounds like and awful lot to be starting on given you don't have any psychosis or manic symptoms you're trying to treat with it (do you?)

I loved Geodon when I was on it. I was taking 160mg a day at dinner time. At first it was very sedating for me, but the sedation eventually wore off after a few weeks. To be honest, if I could go back on it I would, but it gave me some annoying symptoms (restless right leg that would move a bit by itself). It worked wonders for me, and before I was on it my sleeping schedule was really messed up. I would go to sleep at 2 or 3am and wake up at 2 or 3pm. with Geodon I was asleep by 10pm and up around 8-10am. I really liked the sedative properties of it, as well as how it helped with my psychosis.

FWIW, the recommended starting dose for Schizophrenia is 20 mgs twice daily according to rxlist so you were on a pretty high dose. You might want to see about starting on a lower dose and working your way up. That's sounds like and awful lot to be starting on given you don't have any psychosis or manic symptoms you're trying to treat with it (do you?)

The starting dosage for bipolar is 40mg twice daily though, so 60mg/day, however distributed, is really not especially high.

The starting dosage for bipolar is 40mg twice daily though, so 60mg/day, however distributed, is really not especially high.

Regardless, the OP has neither bipolar nor schizophrenia so it's a moot point.

Also, the rxlist info (which is the same as the PDR) speaks of stabilizing a BPI patient in an acute manic episode.

Acute Treatment of Manic or Mixed Episodes

Dose Selection--Oral ziprasidone should be administered at an initial daily dose of 40 mg twice daily with food. The dose may then be increased to 60 mg or 80 mg twice daily on the second day of treatment and subsequently adjusted on the basis of tolerance and efficacy within the range 40 mg-80 mg twice daily. In the flexible-dose clinical trials, the mean daily dose administered was approximately 120 mg [see Clinical Studies].

Maintenance Treatment (as an adjunct to lithium or valproate)

Continue treatment at the same dose on which the patient was initially stabilized, within the range of 40 mg-80 mg twice daily with food. Patients should be periodically reassessed to determine the need for maintenance treatment. [see Clinical Studies]

Geodon should be titrated, specifically because titration helps keep the side effects tolerable. In fact, every antipsychotic should be titrated if possible, because you want to find the lowest effective dose. Instructions for bipolar disorder are given on the assumption that the patient is already manic, and there's no time to titrate (hence, acute treatment of manic episodes). The label gives no instruction for maintenance treatment of bipolar disorder if treatment wasn't started during a manic episode, so it's probably a good idea to just start from 20 mg.

The OP has neither bipolar disorder nor schizophrenia, so I'd think that she was trying to treat her depression or anxiety. So, yes, the OP was started at a relatively high dose of Geodon. I can't say why, and I'd agree that she should try again from a lower dose if it was helping her otherwise.

Archived