CrazyBoards.org

At What Age Do Personality Disorders become most apparent?

What the title says. I know you have to be over 18 to be officially diagnosed, so the symptoms I'm assuming get worse once you're an adult (or at least they can't be written off as adolescent hormones). But is there a specific age range where most people are diagnosed, or it just generally seems to become more obvious? Or is it a steady progression? Is it different for different personality disorders?

If you can't tell, I'm new to the specifics of personality disorders, but I'm recently become interested in Borderline Personality Disorder, and trying to figure out if someone in my family could have it.

It's not your place to dx. But you can encourage treatment. Therapy is good for most, I think. Also, mood episodes can mimic personality disorders. It's good to get an assessment from a psychiatrist and a therapist.

As for when...some people find that personality disorders get better with age (life's school of hard knocks beats some behaviors out of people). Some people get worse. Some people get worse and then better. For some it ebbs and flows.

A lot of docs are reluctant to dx until midish twenties - unless it's just that bloody obvious. Personalities are still forming, brains are still shaping, and hormones still come into play a bit.

In short, I would gently suggest someone get a workup, and then leave it at that. Knowing what they might in your unprofessional opinion have isn't going to change much.

Thanks for the info! Also, I defintely don't mean to say I'm trying to convince someone else that they have a personality disorder or trying to diagnose it myself or anything, I'm just a concerned family member trying to see if I'm just being paranoid about someone's behavior.

Archived