CrazyBoards.org

In the next coming days i'll be most likely changing from Seroquel IR to Zyprexa, because Seroquel isn't meeting my needs (sleep is fine, but Psychosis.. it does nothing.)

I just want to know on others experience with Zyprexa? If anyone has been on Seroquel and went onto Zyprexa (or the other way around) and what they found about the change?

All I know is that it can be sedating just as much as Seroquel, which i'm not looking forward to because I hate sedation because sedation leads to sleep and I dislike sleep for reasons which aren't relevant to this post.

In the next coming days i'll be most likely changing from Seroquel IR to Zyprexa, because Seroquel isn't meeting my needs (sleep is fine, but Psychosis.. it does nothing.)

I just want to know on others experience with Zyprexa? If anyone has been on Seroquel and went onto Zyprexa (or the other way around) and what they found about the change?

All I know is that it can be sedating just as much as Seroquel, which i'm not looking forward to because I hate sedation because sedation leads to sleep and I dislike sleep for reasons which aren't relevant to this post.

Why does your pdoc choose the most sedating AAp's? There are many drugs out there that are less sedating such as risperidone and Abilify and Geodon. I tried each of these drugs, and I can attest to that. Even newer drugs such as Latuda and Fanapt are less sedating (or so I hear).

About Zyprexa ... I was given it at a low doseage, maybe 2.5 or 5 mgs. to augment an AD. After the first dose, I felt ok. But the next day, it was hard for me to wake up. I stumbled down the stairs and was lucky to make it to the sofa, and I stayed there all day. That was my first and only experience with Zyprexa. But I know it helps a lot of people, so it is worth a shot. Maybe the sedation wears off after your body adjusts to it. Anyway, if your pdoc thinks it's best, then it can't hurt to give it a try. If it is unacceptable, you can talk to your pdoc to have it changed.

Why does your pdoc choose the most sedating AAp's? There are many drugs out there that are less sedating such as risperidone and Abilify and Geodon. I tried each of these drugs, and I can attest to that. Even newer drugs such as Latuda and Fanapt are less sedating (or so I hear).

About Zyprexa ... I was given it at a low doseage, maybe 2.5 or 5 mgs. to augment an AD. After the first dose, I felt ok. But the next day, it was hard for me to wake up. I stumbled down the stairs and was lucky to make it to the sofa, and I stayed there all day. That was my first and only experience with Zyprexa. But I know it helps a lot of people, so it is worth a shot. Maybe the sedation wears off after your body adjusts to it. Anyway, if your pdoc thinks it's best, then it can't hurt to give it a try. If it is unacceptable, you can talk to your pdoc to have it changed.

Well my old doc put me on Seroquel originally not to treat my Psychosis, but for its sedating effect because of my Paranoia that causes me to not sleep and thats stuck by for a long time, and I still have those problems right now but i'm seeing a new doc (recently moved) and the assessment team who assessed be thought of the idea of Zyprexa instead of the Seroquel and they're going to forward it to the new doc. It helps, the sedation whether or not I like it lol.

One thing to be aware about with a dx of an Eating Disorder is that it is known for weight gain.

In 1 month on a tiny dose (2.5mg) I gained 14lb

I haven't been on seroquel, and the zyprexa wasn't for psychosis. I didn't find it sedating.

Zyprexa works very well in my case. The downfalls are weight gain. It did help me sleep but I somewhat got used to it. I actually didn't even gain that much weight if you can believe it. But my ED thoghts scared me into begging my pdoc to get off of it. I was on 15mg of the zydis. I also believe that the regular z is going generic this year. I'll try to find a link if I'm up to it later. Otherwise you can google it if you want to. Hope that helps.

Zyprexa is the second strongest atypical anti-psychotic, next to clozapine.

I personally have been on seroquel and switched to zyprexa.

I found the zyprexa to be considerably stronger at a lower equivalent dose.

Zypexa should be very effective for any psychotic symptoms.

The first few weeks could be tough. I found on day 1 pretty bad nausea. This does pass pretty quickly however.

Dosage is really important too - at too high a dose you can expect weight gain and sedation. How much are you starting on?

Archived