CrazyBoards.org

trileptal and lamictal, and absorbed thru the kidneys?

Are both trileptal and lamictal absorbed through the kidneys? i have had trouble with gabapentin lately and it basically crapped out on me, was making me hypomanic, and gave me stomachaches as well. but are both trileptal and lamictal absorbed through the kidneys?

Nothing is absorbed through the kidneys - the kidneys filter your blood. They do reabsorb some stuff, but nothing that wasn't in your blood in the first place.

Both Lamictal and Trileptal are absorbed in your GI tract, metabolized/broken down by your liver, and excreted by your kidneys into your urine (around 95%).

I'm not sure exactly why you're asking, so maybe this wasn't the information you needed?

nothing, you answered it, i was just thinking of how gabapentin was metabolized. and was thinking about how others were also metabolized. i believe gabapentin bypasses the liver altogether as does lyrica.

and lamictal says something about glucunoride metabolizaiton

A glucuronide just means that it's Lamictal linked to a molecule of glucuronic acid. Glucuronidation makes drugs more water soluble and therefore easier to excrete.

You're right about gabapentin - it's excreted unchanged by the kidneys.

Metabolism and elimination are different things. Metabolism is how the drug (or other chemical) is changed by the body. Elimination is how the body gets rid of it. Metabolism and elimination both reduce blood concentrations of the chemical you're analyzing, but elimination is the only sure-fire way to get rid of it, because metabolites can be active drugs in themselves.

Archived