CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone want to share the things that have helped them 'ignore' their hallucinations?

Like, for example.. listening to music to drown out the voices etc etc? My tricks I use aren't working anymore and i'm getting hit quite hard by these so called hallucinations and i'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas? I'm awaiting a medication change soon so that idea is already waiting to be in motion.

When I was manic and hallucinating visually, the best thing I ever did was put my hand through whatever popped up in front of me. I mean, I still have hallucinations at night and in the early mornings - always have and that's my go-to solution for things I know shouldn't be there. Of course, if it's bugs then I'll use a broom or a paper or something 'cause I don't wanna touch them.

As for noises, I got nuthin' because my audio hallucinations are kinda vague - gunshots outside of my window, someone calling my name from far away, or mumbling voices... I mean these things could actually be happening and it's hard to tell the truth from the reality sometimes.

Guest Vapourware

I would imagine that reality checking is the best way of dealing with hallucinations. It can be hard to convince yourself this, but they are not real and the trick here is to show yourself that they are not real but are the makings of your mind.

When I had auditory hallucinations, I would tell myself that what the voice was saying was not real and that it was a part of my illness. I would try and confront what the voices were saying to me and it helped that I was able to talk to my tdoc about them, because she was able to give a different perspective on what was happening to me at the time.

To be honest, meds are the only thing that have saved me from auditory hallucinations.

I take clozapine, and for me it is the best med so far. It is a controlled substance, with good reason. It can screw up your white blood cell count. But thats a risk im willing to take.

Ive been on seroquel, risperdal, geodon, abilify and zyprexa, and clozapine has been the best by far. It is, however, only recommended for schizophrenia, and treatment resistant sz at that.

I use music to cope with the voices. Mostly it does work, and equally it gives me something else to focus on. And I have made a 'deal' with them to not talk to me when I am listening to my music. It doesn't always work, they like to speak through the music but if that happens I will play that track again to make sure whether the words aimed at me (my voices are pretty much always personal) are in the song or not.

I also try to be assertive with them, rather than aggressive (aggression made them worse). A simple 'not now', or 'I'm busy', or 'I'll talk to you when I'm home' and repeat if necessary until they shut up. Though when they are aggressive with me this is very difficult.

If I'm out and about, I try to distract myself by just focusing on an object in the surroundings (because, obviously, I do not want to talk to them in public) and send messages to them with my thoughts telling them to go away and shut up.

Now, I often slip up on a lot of these. And they don't always work. Also it has taken me many years to get to this point. Much of it was just trial and error.

As for the visuals though, I can't suggest anything. I just know I need to improve my reality testing so I can get it to the point where I can tell other people can't see them at the time they are actually there, rather than some time after when it has no relevance. A bit of self defence helped me deal with the immediate threat, but I did end up making a complete fool of myself.

Archived