CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
dreadOHdreads

Kelo-cote anti scarring gel

I haven't posted here in a while...but I thought I would share this with others who SI. I used to teach last semester and I had a breakdown and broke a rule that I had always tried to follow- NEVER cut in a spot you cannot easily conceal. I cut up the top of my hand. I'm black so the scars were peach colored. I wore a bandage over it for a while just to hide it. Then when I realized how visible AND obvious it was I started to panic and did research on effective scar treatment. I read about silicone and how it bonds with skin cells and helps new and old scars disappear. After some searching I found something called Kelo-Cote on ebay. I'd tried the sillicone sheets but they came off really easily. This stuff was a clear gel that you put on daily for several weeks. I got some and just used it daily for around 2 months and the scars actually faded to where you have to hold them to light to somewhat see them. It's expensive but worth it- Kelo-Cote. I dunno why it isn't sold OTC- I think because of it's strong silicone content they don't sale it. But try it if you can't get your scars to fade.

PS: You aren't supposed to use it until you are healed up though.

It is sold OTC, it's just really expensive so most pharmacies don't stock it, instead they stock products like mederma, etc. You don't need a prescription to buy it though.

My dermatologist recommended it to me and I too found it useful. I liked it because I found the silicone sheets annoying and difficult to keep in place. It takes a while to work but it definitely does show results.