CrazyBoards.org

Hi everyone,

I have had a couple months of feeling really, really low. Can't fall asleep until 4am-ish and then sleep late. Not leaving the house,etc, etc. I wanted to fix my sleep pattern. Trazadone does not help me sleep and valium flattens me out if I'm not anxious. So I've taken 2mg of risperdal at night. I fell asleep at a more normal time and felt better the next couple of days. More energy, visited my parents. I feel more up. Definitely not cured but better.

I haven't seen risperdal mentioned for bipolar depression as some other antipsychotics are. Does anyone have experience with this too?

Thanks,

Oreo

Yes, Risperdal gives me a lot of energy. It also helps me in subtle ways such as clearer thinking and things being brighter. I can't say that it has really helped my mood, but it helps these other things and that helps raise my mood. It doesn't help me sleep since it gives me so much energy. But I have a problem with too much sleeping anyway.

Risperdal definitely clears and calms my thinking and helps stabilize me. I've been stepping down .5mg every month or two to avoid transient symptoms. This last decrease I've dealt with some depression. That plus the fact that I had no real depression over winter makes me think that it does have a little antidepressant action for me. From what I gather, this is not so much the norm. The downside of Risperdal is that it tends to raise prolactin levels which can mess with your cycle and long-term add to odds of osteoporosis.

Archived