CrazyBoards.org

I met up with a therapist today who seemed to have slightly new age leanings but reasonably so. During my initial consultation he pulled out this device called HeartMath. It's a biofeedback device so you can train yourself to be less stressed. I know that heart rate etc is scientifically valid so I didn't question it. It all seemed very exciting at the time.

On the way home I told someone about this device and they said, "It's not that Scientology thing is it?" first I was offended but it prompted me to look further into the device. It looks like it may be valid, but there are many red flags around it and it's hard to find out what the deal is. For example the person who created it is not a PhD, their scientific backups are by an affiliated company, etc etc.

I'm feeling kind of depressed that this therapist lead me on like this. I don't have any issue with alternative medicine except if there is no sort of scientific proof to back it up (omega-3s etc are all good..)

Well, the copyright for the LLC is 2011. OK, that is the most deliberately vague mumbo jumbo web site, slick but bizarre. Located in Boulder which is not big Scientology territory. www.heartmath.com It does say the HeartMath system is being used at Duke, UNC, and Stanford. I just cannot figure out what it is!

I would be skeptical of a therapist who leads with this. I find that odd. You were looking for actual therapy? And you have some sort of MI diagnosis? I would not go back. I don't think it shows very good judgement. Something else entirely if you have an established relationship and your therapist offers you a session with their nifty biofeed back HeartMath device. But not a wise first move in my opinion.

You have not configured your About Me page but I see that you are most active in the Schizophrenia forum. You need an experienced, wise, therapist or Psychologist with an understanding of real mental illness. Not a desire to help people unfold their heart and relax.

There are some reviews of this product on Amazon.com. They seemed to be a mixed bag. This still does not change my opinion that pulling out a gadget on a first appointment with a patient who has a mental illness is wierd.

I did my usual checks online and came up with no complaints about the company or the device.

The Heartmath emWave feedback thingy looks plausible. The online price is $199. A hef ity amount. I would have to see the thing in action and try it out before "I" would by buy it. I would be cautious about getting sucked into a whole string of products like the desktop software, etc.

If the therapist tries to sell it to you, I would walk out the door. That would be unethical in my opinion.

If you want a heart beat monitor for less money, with dual, use, get one of the wrist/chest models in the sports stores. You en can also use it while walking, exercising.

You can always just measure your pulse with a watch. There are tons of self help books on relaxation.

Your choice, a.m.

Biofeedback is scientifically proven. I don't know anything about this device, but I wouldn't do biofeedback with someone unless you were actually doing more psychotherapy too.

And I would make sure the person was adequately trained in biofeedback. You need adequate training in the area. Its just a must.

Also, what AM said, if the tdoc tries to sell one to you, don't go back

I personally probably wouldn't go back anyways. But its up to you, as you konw

Less Stress, More Energy and Increased Mental Clarity“. If this does not get Moms and Dad excited, you may have slipped into a comma.

from the website.

I certainly would avoid this at all costs - you do NOT want to slip into a word choice error!!!! :brooding:

otherwise it looks too fluffy for serious help.

db

The thing that strikes me immediately is that increased heart rate is a symptom of anxiety, not a cause (usually). The biofeedback device may be helpful in giving you immediate feedback on what your techniques are doing, but I don't think it'll be much more effective than simple mindfulness. And anything that reads your heart rate continuously would work as well as their device. You could take your radial pulse with your fingers, and it would work just as well (and be completely free).

Archived