CrazyBoards.org

Hi everyone. I need some advice, I was wondering if you could help me out. Basically, I'm on meds for schizophrenia, but they're not working as well as they should. I used to be on Clozapine and it worked almost completley but left me very sedated, I would sleep a lot. I'm in a dilemma as I would like to in say 5 years have a baby, but I only want to if I'm a lot more well coz its difficult coping with stress/voices etc. However, I also don't think I'd be able to look after a baby when happy and well but sedated on the Clozaril, coz I'd be to sleepy and unalert. I have been given the option of furtherly increasing the meds I'm on at the moment, or going back on the Clozaril. Anyone have similar issues or have any advice? Thanks:)

I had a lot of trouble having my son but I went off medication completely - not my Dr's advice - but I was paranoid that the medications were harming the baby. My symptoms then got worse and I was all over the place. My husband at the time threatened to send me home to my mom. We were living in San Diego and he was in the Navy. Home was all the way to Georgia. He threw me out to try to make me go home. After I had my son I could not take care of him by myself and I had to go home to my Mom.

It eventually had come down to child protective services getting involved after I had an incident with him in a store when he threw a temper tantrum and I got freaked out by it because of my Schizophrenia. I never did anything to hurt him. I just could not take care of his daily needs by myself. I was so sedated at one point I could not take care of my own daily needs.

He is a wonderful son despite everything we went through. He had some trouble learning social skills - probably because I'm a terrible model for that and his Dad is bipolar and an alcoholic and not the best model either.

My being sick did not make him sick like my Mom thought it would. She was against me having a child at all. In the end she was like my son's second Mom because I lived with her most of the time he was growing up because I had to leave his Dad. It was not perfect for him. We went through some homelessness one time when I freaked out and would not stay at home because I was convinced that my step-dad was going to have me sent to jail for organizing the armed overthrow of the US government.

Yeah, its a double edged sword; if you take the clozapine you will feel better, however you need to strike a balance between sedation (and any other side effects) and being well.

Ive been on several different Atpypical Anti-psychotics, and clozapine has been the best by far. Right now I am on 200mg.

Maybe you should talk to your dr about clozapine again, or even olanzapine. There is nothing wrong with Abilify and Seroquel, they just arent as strong. You may find that upping the seroquel will help, so thats another option to discuss with your dr.

Guest Vapourware

There is nothing wrong with Abilify and Seroquel, they just arent as strong. You may find that upping the seroquel will help, so thats another option to discuss with your dr.

Side note: that makes no sense to me. There's no such thing as a ranking of "strengths" between APs. You don't know how well an AP will do with someone until they've tried it, so making such blanket statements is inaccurate IMO.

I've had similar thoughts like this but with wanting to have a life long partner, because most people who aren't used to being with someone with an MI don't know how to react sometimes and they usually run away (from experience). 5 years is a very long way away, i'd talk to your doc about a different med. Everyone reacts differently to different meds and it's all just a trial and error type of thing.

Well for what its worth, in my case I took:

1500mg Seroquel, which for me felt about the same as 20mg zyprexa or 200mg clozapine. Yes different drugs work for different people, but anti-psychotics do have differing strengths.

My p-doc is quite adamant that clozapine is a considerably stronger anti-psychotic than seroquel or abilify or geodon, for example. My previous p-doc had exactly the same view.

I do have to agree with Chimpmaster here, My pdocs have told me that Abilify is equal strength to Risperdal and invega is the bi-product of risperdal which makes it a teeny tiny bit weaker, every person is different with every med, what will knock you on your bu would do nothing for another person yes, but technically there is supposed to be varying strengths and weaknesses with every drug.

There's so many ways a particular antipsychotic could be "stronger" that it doesn't make sense to talk about strength without qualifying it somehow. Is it more effective? Is it a stronger sedative? Does it have a stronger binding affinity at receptor X?

As far as efficacy goes, you can make predictions based on data and clinical impressions. This is what chimpmaster is talking about. But, in reality, it all comes down to chance. You can't know until you've tried.

Quite honestly though, this is one of the more pointless arguments I've seen here lately, and it has nothing to do with the OP's question. Can we get back on topic, please?

Having kids can make anyone crazy. Having one when you ARE having mental problems is asking for it.

I love my son, but lack of sleep drove me wild. I had to be admitted when he was six months old and

when he was three years old. That was my last time hospitalized. I have been taking meds ever

since. While it hasn't made me "a regular person" as such, it has kept me out of hospitals.

Hi everyone. I need some advice, I was wondering if you could help me out. Basically, I'm on meds for schizophrenia, but they're not working as well as they should. I used to be on Clozapine and it worked almost completley but left me very sedated, I would sleep a lot. I'm in a dilemma as I would like to in say 5 years have a baby, but I only want to if I'm a lot more well coz its difficult coping with stress/voices etc. However, I also don't think I'd be able to look after a baby when happy and well but sedated on the Clozaril, coz I'd be to sleepy and unalert. I have been given the option of furtherly increasing the meds I'm on at the moment, or going back on the Clozaril. Anyone have similar issues or have any advice? Thanks:)

I would try raising the doses of the meds you are taking before giving up on them. There might be some different combinations to try there, too. If you do not fully try a med, then you don't really know that doesn't work for you. Of course, there should be some indication that the med is doing something positive, even if small. If it's doing nothing at all and you are at a good dose, then it's probably time to bail.

Have you talked to you pdoc about whether there is something to counter the Clozeril sedation?

Archived