CrazyBoards.org

Do YOU overreact?!?!?

Okay, so...I overreact A LOT I flip out, I get depressed , sad cry etc. You know the whole MI thing, but is it normal here or is it just how you are, how you where raised, your environment? Just curious if I am the only one like this or are there other true nut balls out there. :)

Overreacting? Moi?

I have been working on this for years. I only made progress in therapy after my meds were finally helping me. With no meds, or the wrong meds it was next to impossible. In fact I think I wasted a lot of money in therapy. Once I was stable I could make progress with this issue. It is much better now. Nevertheless I have to pay attention to overreaction and intense, out of proportion emotions.

Yes, I do too. I deal with it (usually) by doing a reality check and assuring myself that the world is not coming to an end. Then I try to explain it to myself in a rational way using the tools I got from CBT. Here, therapy can help you alot. Basically, you have to try to take a deep breath and try not to let the ball get rolling too fast.

I generally get anxiety more than anything. Most stressful things (money, kids, etc) tend to get me worked up to the point of almost no return. However, I rarely cry or get mad, it's just the way my personality works... apathy rules in my head.

I generally get anxiety more than anything. Most stressful things (money, kids, etc) tend to get me worked up to the point of almost no return. However, I rarely cry or get mad, it's just the way my personality works... apathy rules in my head.

I concur. heh.

My stressors are classes, futile grad school apps, protracted unemployment, and parents on my tail for not satisfying their dreams of me becoming a six figure-earning neurosurgeon (which wouldn't be possible anyways after I got a case of Parkinson's following total hell with relapsing meningitis that actually started before I was even in college).

I haven't blown up (at least as it seems to external observers) since I moved out on said parents 18 months ago. Before that (especially back before 2009, when my meningitis was undiagnosed and active), I was prone to the occasional violent fit when told by said parents to "go find a job or something", etc., but fortunately for them I took things out on my own property and not people.

Since getting better w/the meningitis and moving out on said parents, I've been really calm on the outside despite the aforementioned stressors. I think that my spirituality/religion has played a part, as the belief system I adopted says to treat others as you wish to be treated, and I've been mistreated for so long that I'm well aware of how I should be treating others (i.e. by forcing myself to not overreact). These days, my friends know me as "that dude who's impossible to offend". (NB: I can be offended; just tell me that I'm 'unemployable' or that I should give up on it all and try disability instead, which mind you, is a bit difficult to get where I live.)

However, turmoil and chaos reign on the inside. I don't know what to do with it, honestly. I know it worsens my AD/HD, lowers my grades, and raises my blood pressure. At least I've got clonidine at night to prevent PTSD-induced vivid acted-out nightmares...

During mixed episodes, especially, I can be exceedingly reactive. As Stacia said, when I'm stable, it's not really an issue. If you're experiencing this kind of reactivity outside of mood episodes, I'd be inclined to think it isn't BP related. More of maybe a personality disorder trait, or somethingg.

I do sometimes have to catch myself BEFORE I let it get to an overreaction. I do have more trouble with that when manic, I can go from laughing to tears in seconds. I hope things stay good for awhile I can't stand much more stress personally. Anxiety can also make me overreact if I don't manage it.

My pdoc told me that overreacting is typical of bipolar, that we're wired that way; that it's more extreme in an episode, but still goes on a lot if we are outside an episode yet not really stable; and that it decreases when we're actually stable. I didn't believe her, I thought I was just a highly reactive person independent of the bipolar stuff. Then she got me a lot more stable and I stopped doing it so much, so now it makes more sense to me.

When I'm in a mixed episode I am really quick to explode. If someone fails to use their turn signal I freak out and scream about killing them (and am very specific/descriptive). I will cry over anything. If I spill some juice on the floor I turn into a screaming, crying mess. When I'm stable (or close to it) I tend to be pretty mellow. I get irritated by stupid people, but I don't freak out over stuff.

I think part of overreacting may indeed be personality disorder (for example, my borderline traits make me REALLY, REALLY want to to asplode outside of mood episodes).

If someone fails to use their turn signal I freak out and scream about killing them (and am very specific/descriptive).

*snip*

+1 CrazyCatLady

I'm glad I live somewhere where most people *actually know how to drive*, otherwise I'd probably be asploding in traffic. Sometimes people here do get a little aggressive/hazardous out of impatience (crossing the double solid yellow line to get into an upcoming turn lane and almost hitting me in the process), but granted, they do use their turn signal and will give me the customary local wave of apology (translation: "oh dear, sorry I almost killed you!"). When you receive the wave, you know everything's all right and it was the other person's fault and they've admitted it and are genuinely sorry for what they did wrong. :smartass:

When I lived in the deep Southern US... OMFG. People suddenly pulling out in front of you, cutting you off, and driving with both feet on the brake pedal... I mean really, if you cut someone off, you'd better be prepared to accelerate and get out of their way... and forget turn signal use down there, I've gotten stopped in traffic by people making left turns who are just stopped there for no apparent reason... and almost hit by vehicles suddenly making left turns at 4-way stops without signaling...

</driving rant> See, I never overreact regarding driving. :smartass:

I get mad irritable and bite people's heads off for no reason. I really try to not take it out on others as I used to negatively when I was younger, and I can identify these moods better so I try to just disappear when it gets bad. If I'm really agitated I go to the breaking things routine that evolves into hurting myself in some fashion like punching my head. It's stupid, but I just get SO up and agitated. It's a shit cycle.

Archived