CrazyBoards.org

Call me jim, it isn't my real name but it'll do. Jim kirk if you want to be formal.

I'm a bit of a mess at the moment. Well anyways...

I'm an aspie, or 99% sure i am anyways, i've done online tests which indicate i am, and i've seen a clinical psychologist who said i 'probably am', but i suppose i haven't been strictly 'diagnosed' in a technical sense...? All the pieces fit, though i think my case is relatively mild in some respects. Growing up i was just considered the weird, nerdy kid. School always came naturally and i did very well in all subjects right up to university without ever really having to study. I've got what many consider to be a prodigious memory (i make a lot of money making the rounds at local trivia nights). My parents i guess just assumed i was an eccentric intellectual type.

I've had problems with emotional balance from early childhood, i have a great deal of social anxiety which i entirely hide from everyone every day, so over the years since high school i've become sort of a secret person. Nobody knows the real me but me. I'm sure i'm in a state of arrested development on at least one level, i've become a bit of an emotional wreck and it has negatively impacted on my studies and my employment.

I'm not entirely sure what to do to go about fixing myself, i think i'm in a bit of a state all together. I finally worked up the courage to book an appointment with a local clinical psychiologist recommended by a very good friend of mine, and was also recommended this site by another friend of mine who shall remain nameless, of course.

Hello

Hi Jim, welcome to the forums!

I've got some sort of Asperger's or schziod going on also. I've just never been oficially diagnosed. I am paralysed in social situations. I just have never been able to answer the question of whether I avoid people because I'm anxious or because I prefer to be alone. This seems to differentiate between the two.

Anyway, welcome and I hope you find support and help here.

Welcome.

Take a read of the rules when you have a chance and feel free to PM a mod or admin if you have any questions.

We're a pretty laid back bunch here, so feel free to jump right in. And don't forget to check out chat :)

Hello and welcome.

I've been formally diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome (and a solid case of it, having got that reply when I asked if I might be "marginal"!)

But this was not until I was 48, by which time I'd been struggling with depression for a long while, basically since normal life seemed such hard work and most of the rest of the world well, basically alien: it came with little sense of "belonging".

Getting disgnosed was beneficial. It added a range of things to my "mental toolkit":

both in terms of understanding myself and the rest of the world, and it terms of suggesting practical moves and strategies.

Again, welcome.

Chris.

Archived