CrazyBoards.org

my doc has prescribed fanapt (actually, he gave me the option of saphris or fanapt) because he beleives the abilify might be causing my cognition issues (difficulty verbalizing my thoughts, difficulty thinking) and i'm wondering what others either think about this drug (e.g. how it compares with other AAPs) or what are their experiences with it.

its a drug approved for schizophrenia with no studies done for bipolar (which is what i lean most towards, however the diagnosis is tentative and mostly uncertain, could be schizoaffective, could be bipolar psychotic depression, bp NOS, who knows..)

of course what im most concerned about is the drugs effect on heart rhythm. at a dose of 12-16 mg per day would this really be much of an issue? a question more for the doc, but until i hear from him (he gets back to me late)....(if anyone can answer..)

im still going back and forth on saphris/fanapt (thats such a weird brand name) in terms of side effects; weighing the pros and cons.

anyway, input would be much appreciated, thanks.

You're currently taking a pretty low dosage of abilify, and I don't think it's generally associated with cognitive issues. It seems entirely possible that whatever issues you're having are more to do with lingering depressive symptoms, than with your meds. And of your meds, I'd kind of think the klonopin's more likely to cause cognitive issues than abilify.

Just looking at it quickly, I don't know how likely it looks to be useful in addressing depression, which seems to be your major issue. Honestly, if the abilify has been effective for you, I wouldn't be in a big hurry to change. Its mechanism of action is pretty unique, and you might well not get the same results with another med.

Just looking at it quickly, I don't know how likely it looks to be useful in addressing depression, which seems to be your major issue. Honestly, if the abilify has been effective for you, I wouldn't be in a big hurry to change. Its mechanism of action is pretty unique, and you might well not get the same results with another med.

yes, but if i were to increase the abilify ( i know you didn't say that but hypothetically doing so might help w/ depression and the following user mentioned it..) akathisia would become more of a problem. i know this because of the state i was in at a higher dose. on the other hand, saphris is approved for bipolar so it probably acts as a mood stabilizer as well as being an antipsychotic, however its EPS profile (from what i read from one source) is higher than zyprexa which is higher than abilify. hmm, decisions.

The EPS profile might be a guide but it does not hold for the individual. I get akathisia on every AAP except Risperdal which is rated as having a higher EPS profile that some of the others. So, don't make your choices based on an average.

yes, but if i were to increase the abilify ( i know you didn't say that but hypothetically doing so might help w/ depression and the following user mentioned it..) akathisia would become more of a problem. i know this because of the state i was in at a higher dose.

This isn't necessarily true.. The first time I went on Abilify I titrated normally and got up to 15mg before getting such horrible akathisia I had to stop. (It was early on in the med trials & we decided to look elsewhere rather than add another med for the EPS) So I stayed away from it for a long time. Then, I ran out of alternatives, remembered that the Abilify did help, and I went back to it. I assumed the same thing would happen, so I devised a different titration schedule and had some Nadolol (helps EPS, as you probably know) to try and mitigate the akathisia. I took:

2.5 Month 1 / 5.0 Month 2 / 7.5 Month 3 / 10.0 Month 4 / 15 Month 5 / 30 Month 6

I noticed increased anxiety with a tinge of EPS at each increase, but it abated instead of getting worse like the first time. The hardest one was the 15mg raise. The 30mg was actually the easiest of of all of them interestingly enough.

I'm not saying that it will work.. just that it could. I think that it may be worth a try at least.

yes, but if i were to increase the abilify ( i know you didn't say that but hypothetically doing so might help w/ depression and the following user mentioned it..) akathisia would become more of a problem. i know this because of the state i was in at a higher dose. on the other hand, saphris is approved for bipolar so it probably acts as a mood stabilizer as well as being an antipsychotic, however its EPS profile (from what i read from one source) is higher than zyprexa which is higher than abilify. hmm, decisions.

I'm not sure what info. you're looking at, but I can tell you that, if you do some looking around here, you'll see that, at least amongst our users, abilify is one of the absolute worst for causing akathisia. Quite possibly the worst.

I don't know what dosage you were on previously, but would it be possible for you to try a dosage between that one and your current dosage?

As far as treating depression, seroquel can be very effective, so that's another you might want to consider.

yes, but if i were to increase the abilify ( i know you didn't say that but hypothetically doing so might help w/ depression and the following user mentioned it..) akathisia would become more of a problem. i know this because of the state i was in at a higher dose.

This isn't necessarily true.. The first time I went on Abilify I titrated normally and got up to 15mg before getting such horrible akathisia I had to stop. (It was early on in the med trials & we decided to look elsewhere rather than add another med for the EPS) So I stayed away from it for a long time. Then, I ran out of alternatives, remembered that the Abilify did help, and I went back to it. I assumed the same thing would happen, so I devised a different titration schedule and had some Nadolol (helps EPS, as you probably know) to try and mitigate the akathisia. I took:

2.5 Month 1 / 5.0 Month 2 / 7.5 Month 3 / 10.0 Month 4 / 15 Month 5 / 30 Month 6

I noticed increased anxiety with a tinge of EPS at each increase, but it abated instead of getting worse like the first time. The hardest one was the 15mg raise. The 30mg was actually the easiest of of all of them interestingly enough.

I'm not saying that it will work.. just that it could. I think that it may be worth a try at least.

hmm, i could bring this up to my docotor. thanks for sharing!

hmm, i could bring this up to my docotor. thanks for sharing!

You're welcome ;) I think it's worth a try at least..

I'm not sure what info. you're looking at, but I can tell you that, if you do some looking around here, you'll see that, at least amongst our users, abilify is one of the absolute worst for causing akathisia. Quite possibly the worst.

I don't know what dosage you were on previously, but would it be possible for you to try a dosage between that one and your current dosage?

As far as treating depression, seroquel can be very effective, so that's another you might want to consider.

on looking at info from pubmed and AAP comparison charts both on this site and from another research article on pubmed regarding asenapine (Saphris)

http://www.dovepress...article_id=3971

http://www.dovepress...article_id=3562

i was on 7.5 mg of abilify previously so that could be a possibility unless it would mean possibly more cognition issues. it seems like this drug particularly causes problems with my thinking looking back on previous posts (e.g. "how does abilify contribute to cognitive deficits?") so my doc might be on track. i do recall feeling more capable when the dosage was reduced to 5 mg from 10 (i wasn't stammering as much when trying to articulate the simplest of ideas such as "i went to school today").

seroquel... weight gain most likely... possible option but not likely. i'm starting to lean towards saphris after looking at other peoples experiences of improved cognition on crazymeds and the fact that the side effect profile is minor as i see it compared to fanapt

Archived